Sign in to follow this  
red259

switching from MS FSX to FSX-SE

I have been away from FSX for quite awhile. I use a number of addon aircraft pmdg etc/airports/orbx global/asn//EFB/pfpx etc. I know when it first came out there was some compatibility issues. Now that I am thinking about picking up the fslabs airbus I am thinking about switching over to the steam version which I bought quite a long time ago but never installed. Is there any downside to the switch at this point or is everything pretty much compatible? 

I "think" everything is pretty much compatible. Having said that the Steam edition is more stable (some tweaks for FSX MS were incorporated into the SE so you don't have to apply them yourself). Do it! :)

SE still doesn't fix any problems in DX10 mode, but Steve's DX10 fixer (payware) goes a long way to rectify that.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I just made the switch.  These add-ons are fine:

Aerosoft A318/319/320/321

CS 727

CS 737

CS 777

CS L1011

CLS MD-80

Coolsky DC-9

Feelthere ERJ-135/145

QW 757

QW 146/RJ

PMDG NGX

PMDG MD-11

Majestic Q400

ORBX FTX Global

ORBX EU Scotland

UTX USA

Active Sky 2016

REX Soft Clouds

The only one of my add-ons that has an issue is the PMDG JS4100, which PMDG has said they will fix once the 747 v2 is out.

David Norman Paul

If you're hardware challenged, FSX-SE will be the best move you ever made.

Since I had to switch out the hard drive it looks like it erased my purchase code for the box edition therefore I will be forced to switch over to steam anyway. I have a ton of airports/planes/addons etc that need to be switched over as well and who knows if I will be able to locate all the download links what have you to transfer them all over.  :wub:

I upgraded my desktop config, and switched to FSX-SE, it was a smooth transition, and the performance out of the box was great! Comparing to the my boxed FSX. Im using steam from the beginning so for me it was easy. NGX working great along with my Orbx stuff. NO performance issue so far. GTX 1070 6800K 

My FSX box is on the shelf. After installing a clean version of FSX Steam alone on Windows 10 I was blown away by how well it runs. In fact it's flawless as it is with Steams version of Active Sky Next and Rex's Soft clouds. No other addon's are installed. Would more addons installed slow the sim down?, I suppose they would, like they do FSX-boxed.  The PMDG 777f-LRF are now problem free. Made some flights, KMCO-KBGR, KJFK-KLAX, and several others around North America. Will do a trans Atlantic flight soon. I anticipate NO problems to be honest. 28+ FPS at JFK and 55+ with spikes to 75-80 is good enough for me. The other thing I saw was that when you install FSX Steam alone the folders are all FSX, NOT FSX-SE. I read about some addons having install problems with the FSX-SE folder names? After MS install the anniversary update my machine worked even better, some say it made it worse? I have no financial interest in DTG, I do wish them well like every other developer in this community. I will also say what works well for me and or my hardware etc., may not for someone else!

I am waiting for PMDG's 747v2, it should be a show stopper!

Good luck and good flying.

Baldy 

The other thing I saw was that when you install FSX Steam alone the folders are all FSX, NOT FSX-SE. I read about some addons having install problems with the FSX-SE folder names?

Indeed - if you are installing FSX:SE to a computer which formerly had FSX:Boxed installed and you didn't fully and completely remove all traces of FSX:Boxed from the system (files, directories, registry entries, etc.etc.), the FSX:SE installer would create "FSX-SE" directories. Most major developers have issued new installers which will function with this, but others have not.

If you're installing onto an OS which has never had FSX installed on it, you will get traditional "FSX" directories and have very smooth sailing.

Indeed - if you are installing FSX:SE to a computer which formerly had FSX:Boxed installed and you didn't fully and completely remove all traces of FSX:Boxed from the system (files, directories, registry entries, etc.etc.), the FSX:SE installer would create "FSX-SE" directories. Most major developers have issued new installers which will function with this, but others have not.

If you're installing onto an OS which has never had FSX installed on it, you will get traditional "FSX" directories and have very smooth sailing.

So if I wanted to do a clean install I would need to delete just FSX or I would have to erase FSX and everything else including all airports and addons? The reinstall with the steam addition and go back and try to find all my download links for all the addsons I picked up over the years. I have everything from ASN to pfpx to orbx global/airpots/pmdg/majestic/rex soft clouds, EFB etc. Got soo many addons. 

So if I wanted to do a clean install I would need to delete just FSX or I would have to erase FSX and everything else including all airports and addons?

FSX:SE won't care about your addons, but it will care about FSX itself - files, registry entries, etc. etc.  That said, when completely removing FSX, you will undoubtedly need to reinstall many of your addons - primarily scenery and aircraft. Others may just need to be reconfigured. But, being very honest - I've never actually attempted such a thing...

Whenever I'm switching or upgrading simulation platforms (FSX or P3D), I always blow everything up and reload one of my base system images which effectively resets my computer to having all of Windows configured how I want it, but no simulation stuff at all. Then, the process of reinstalling my simulator begins.

So, I've spent a lot of time rebuilding my computers over years, but I've also never had any dual-install compatibility snags or headaches to deal with. I prefer to spend the time up front with the reloading than time trying to track down possible problems and conflicts.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

FSX:SE won't care about your addons, but it will care about FSX itself - files, registry entries, etc. etc.  That said, when completely removing FSX, you will undoubtedly need to reinstall many of your addons - primarily scenery and aircraft. Others may just need to be reconfigured. But, being very honest - I've never actually attempted such a thing...

Whenever I'm switching or upgrading simulation platforms (FSX or P3D), I always blow everything up and reload one of my base system images which effectively resets my computer to having all of Windows configured how I want it, but no simulation stuff at all. Then, the process of reinstalling my simulator begins.

So, I've spent a lot of time rebuilding my computers over years, but I've also never had any dual-install compatibility snags or headaches to deal with. I prefer to spend the time up front with the reloading than time trying to track down possible problems and conflicts.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'm going to by the fslabs airbus but I am holding off on anything else for fsx going forward. I'm considering switching platforms to P3d or xplane whichever is best for a longterm platfom with high end aircraft.

Do I need to download Steve's direct X fixer for the steam edition? I never got it for fsx, but will pick it up if I need it for steam. 

Only if you want to run FSX in DX10 mode.  :hi:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I have airports/planes like pmdg installed in my fsx folder. I'm not using the fsx boxed edition anymore and have installed fsx-steam. Can I simple move the pmdg files and addon airport folders over from the fsx folder into the fsx steam folder or do I need to redownload and install all my addons to get them into steam? 

Not sure. I suspect with the scenery you'll have to go into the scenery library and add them so that scenery .cfg knows they're there. No idea on the PMDG stuff.

Mark Robinson