Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Getting New SSD - Licensing Question

Hey guys.

I am getting a new SSD, and I figured it would be easier to ask if there are any add-on developers that would NOT honor a second installation of their product(s) on another SSD.

So far I know:

PMDG and ORBX have license information saved in the registry

FSDT has an in-game unlicensing

Aerosoft, DD, and FlyTampa have no licensing issues.

Are there notable add-on developers that would force me to make another purchase when installing P3D to a new SSD? Does anyone know the verdict on LatinVFR and TropicalSim regarding the matter?

Thank you.

There's a BIG difference between installing something on a NEW SSD and installing on a SECOND SSD.

For the most part, you con only have products installed on ONE system ( drive) at a time. SO uninstall the old and reinstall on the new and you should be good to go.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It depends for what you will use your new ssd. If you have your p3d on a separate disk and you want to change this one, a simple copy of data and renaming the ssd would do it.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Damian: let me put it to you in the most un-PC way I know how: any developer that denies their license to you because you've installed your simulator, and thus their product, on a new or different SSD (that is contained within the same system) is a complete jackass.

Many developers with strong, online licensing features (like PMDG or FSDT) not only allow you several activations but you can deactivate a computer, make a hardware change or upgrade, and the reactivate, no big deal.

Every addon can be installed as often as you want to and no developer will ever force you to buy another copy just for a reinstall. Some addons may require an uninstall before you can reinstall it, others may require you to reset a reached maximum limit of reinstalls (by sending a mail to the developer of requesting it online) but that's it. Most addons can be installed multiple times at the same time on various computers without anyone making a problem of it but obviously this usually isn't allowed although some developers allow multiple installs at one time.

Your best bet is to simply have everything installed once at any given time but I doubt anyone would find it a problem if you temporarily have some addons installed twice for a short while like when switching to a new system. Just uninstall the old install after the switch.

You need to uninstall P3D before installing it on a new drive.  Has nothing to do with licensing and everything to do with windows registry entries and other considerations.  This is so important there is a pinned thread at top of this forum on this topic.

I recall that the EULA allows an individual to install on two machines as long as it is only for that one individual... I think..., but this is not the same as two installations on one machine.

Dan Downs KCRP

Topic locked as there are no discussions allowed regarding licenses/EULA's.  See the AVSIM Terms of Service in regards to discussions of any EULA or license here.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10