new computer for B77L

Hey all,

I am thinking about buying Jetline Gravity GTX.  these are the features, 

• Overclocked Intel Skylake Processor
  • ASRock Z170 OC Formula Mainboard
  • Up to 64GB of 2666MHz DDR4 Memory
  • Premium Nvidia GeForce 900 Series Graphics
  • Samsung Pro Series Solid State Drives

I am hoping that this will be my last FS computer i will ever need to buy.  It will be solely used for Flt sim no other Windows programs or any photos etc.  I want Prepar3d as the Sim and will be flying the B77L 90% of the time on long haul flights.  I am wondering if anyone has this computer with Prepar3d and how its working for you with PMDG A/C.  What are your frame rates and how smooth are the graphics in your worst weather.  I would greatly appreciate any feed back you might have.

Thanks

Scott Redden

121 Ramp Ops, Aircraft Dispatcher, ASEL: C150, C172, PA28-160 

System: Intel I7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz, 16.0 GB, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti 

I am hoping that this will be my last FS computer i will ever need to buy.  It will be solely used for Flt sim no other Windows programs or any photos etc.  I want Prepar3d as the Sim and will be flying the B77L 90% of the time on long haul flights.  I am wondering if anyone has this computer with Prepar3d and how its working for you with PMDG A/C.  What are your frame rates and how smooth are the graphics in your worst weather.  I would greatly appreciate any feed back you might have.

Thanks

Seems pretty close to mine, though mine is a custom home build (which I would highly recommend - heck, I'd build another one if I had a reason to...it's kinda fun). It's a really solid rig, and handles P3D quite nicely, but mine has two 980Tis in it in SLI which P3D can now take a little advantage of, so I won't comment on frames as it won't be comparable.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Say Kyle, my brother, how's your P3D pc running the PMDG 744v3?

spacer.png

mine is a custom home build (which I would highly recommend - heck, I'd build another one if I had a reason to...it's kinda fun).

Heck yeah, clear off the kitchen table and build a computer.  There was a time when one had to have a certain level of expertise and understanding because of the need to set jumpers and assign DMA interrupt channels and I/O ports.  That is all far behind us. Anyone that can put together an Ikea chest of drawers can build a  computer... and the reason you want to is because you get the same performance for about half the cost of a retail rig.  Plus, now you have something you can modify as components change and still reuse same case, power supply, SSDs, etc.

Also, there are many helpful web sites and youtube videos on how to do this stuff if you are a little shy. Sure is worth the money and time!

Dan Downs KCRP

I would like to comment that the 900 series Nvidia cards are last gen now. The 1000 series is out now, and for the money they are asking, they could easily fit in a 1070 or maybe even a 1080. 

Looking at the website, it seems they are shipping with the 1080.

Having said that, I also recommend building one yourself and saving a bundle on your purchase. It really is easy, all parts are plug and play and only fit onto the mainboard one way. Overclocking has been made super easy as well, and as mentioned above about the videos, there are tutorials on how to do the overclocking.

Just look at all the components that are in one of the machines that suits your liking (for example the Jetline Gravity GTX) and see if you can't find all the components around the internet. Good chance you will beat the price by a large margin. 

On top of everything else, we have many people here that can help you if you have any doubts or questions.

I agree with the above - building my computer was lots of the fun!  My first build went smoothly - thanks to some good threads on Tom's Hardware etc. and helpful people over in the hardware forum at Avsim!

Cheers,

I would greatly appreciate any feed back you might have.

If you have the money, go for the Gravity GTX. That what I have right now and I have never regretted the extra money I spend for it. For five years, I had a Jetline Hellfire GTX prior to that. Just take it out of the box, plug it into the wall, hook up the monitor and printer and you are ready to start installing addons assuming you ordered with FSX installed. The last computer I built was in the era of Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. What a nightmare. Never again. If you get the GTX for the T7 and have problems with it, there only one place to look and that is you are not operating the T7 correctly. Makes problem solving pretty simple.

Edit: I forget to mention that if you have a problem with the computer you can talk to a human (who speaks English that can be understood) in technical support.

Hi Scott,

I have a friend that bought a high end machine from Jetline a couple years ago..He is very happy with it, that's right, they are Americans that stand behind their work. My friend had a hardware failure after about a year. They sent him a new part, talked him through installing it on the phone. Then, redid everything using TeamViewer.

I build and update my machine using their specs. Jetline, also overclocks, and sets up your machine., then runs it for several hours.  They understand P3D, and flight simming rigs.

Regards,

Jerry Friz near Ksea.

Just one note - 64GB of RAM will not benefit P3D or FSX any more than 16GB would, until such apps go 64bit. RAM is pretty cheap however, and would not make a huge diff in price. A 32bit app (FSX, P3D) can only address the first 4GB of ram. I would still recommend a min of 16GB though due to Windows and other apps.

I agree with what the others have said - if you're willing to learn, build a PC yourself. It's not too difficult, it's cheaper than buying a pre-built machine, you'll learn a lot, and you'll be intimately familiar with the system in case anything goes wrong with it in the future. There are a ton of good videos and guides for doing it on Youtube.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Interesting topic. Even though I am not planning to build a completely new computer right now (don't have the money), I am planning to buy a GTX 1070 in ~1 month. I sold my previous GTX 970 and came back to my 8-years-old, yet rock solid ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB. It can move FSX perfectly fine, but that's it. Other games are a no-go, so I want the 1070 to be able to play some other (very few) games I enjoy from time to time.

At this moment I have 8GB RAM memory. Now that you guys mention it, I always thought that I needed at least 16GB to be silk-smooth, as sometimes 8GB falls short when I use FSX, add-on applications, web browser, music player, etc. at the same time. I will get a second 8GB memory stick and should be all set to go.

Good luck with your build, Scott. You will surely enjoy it. And yes, highly advised to do some research and build the computer by yourself: that'll save you some money that you could well use to get even better parts than those offered by the retailer, or buy some more games/addons for the simulator. Or even, drink some beers with your friends!

Scott,

Some more thoughts.

Even though I can build my own rigs. I won't build another one for this reason. I had a bad Asus motherboard a couple years ago. I had to send 4 boards back to Asus, as they thought the problem was mine. Each time I had to pay the freight, about $15... They kept sending me bad boards. I would get blue screens. Since, I did not have test equipment to test everything, it was a real pain.... I ended up taking the machine to a big shop in Federal Way, Wa.  They, then sent the mother board back to Asus, and finally got a good one that still is working.

But, I will continue to make upgrades on my own.  It takes about 2 weeks to turn a motherboard in the mail. Needless to say, I don't buy Asus.

One should have a good shop to fall back on, just in case.

Jerry Friz,  Ksea

Right now i have a dell gaming comp with 1 gig of memory on the video card while using FSX. With the 8 gigs on there video card how much of a difference will i see on P3D? What do you think the average FPS will be, or is it the graphics processor that deals with the FPS. 

Kyle, how do you have two video cards? One monitor per each card?

Scott Redden

121 Ramp Ops, Aircraft Dispatcher, ASEL: C150, C172, PA28-160 

System: Intel I7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz, 16.0 GB, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti 

Right now i have a dell gaming comp with 1 gig of memory on the video card while using FSX. With the 8 gigs on there video card how much of a difference will i see on P3D? What do you think the average FPS will be, or is it the graphics processor that deals with the FPS. 

Kyle, how do you have two video cards? One monitor per each card?

According to the LM system requirements page,  which you should check, 1GB of VRAM is minimum 2GB is recommended.  The VRAM use will vary with amount available but if you don't have enough then video memory starts filling up the precious 4GB of virtual memory space (VAS) allocated to P3D and takes away for VAS remaining for your flight.

My 6GB video card normally runs 2.5-3.5 GB of VRAM although it vary.  Amount of VRAM has nothing to do with frame rates, unless you don't have enough.  Most users with dual cards use SLI technology.... easy find with google.

It is futile to compare frame rates in FSX vs P3D.  It's so different that comparisons are hard to make other than once people have made the switch they never think about going back.

Dan Downs KCRP

I ordered a GTX on 9/21 payment cleared CC 3 days later. When I login for an order status i get the following:

Recent Orders

Fatal error: Call to a member function populate() on a non-object in /home/jetline/public_html/wp-content/themes/jetlinesystems-child/woocommerce/myaccount/my-orders.php on line 43

I sent them an email on 28th and still haven't heard back. Feeling a bit uneasy about spending $4,474 bucks now.