Sign in to follow this  
ibelarry

MegaScenery V3 Not Impressed

I now have 2 MegaScenery V3 titles-Tennessee and Alabama.  I flew out of Lovell in Chattanooga an area that has three states all in close proximity to one another-TN, GA and AL.  In my scenery CFG Georgia is V2 and Tennessee and Alabama are V3.  In comparing the  two versions the only difference is the coloration is brighter in V3 other than that there are no other improvements.  Resolution is virtually identical and there are still water masking issues.  I was really hoping for a higher resolution similar to the Ultra Resolution Cities...not happening.  Disappointed!  I took several screenshots along the border between GA and TN and also the border between GA and AL.  Identical except for the brighter color in V3.  Larger bodies of water use the P3D masking which looks bad in photo-real scenery.  Rivers use the MegaScenery masking with issues. 

• Upvote 1

Can you post some of the screenshots?  I bought Alabama also, but haven't had a chance to download it yet. 

If there is no improvement, it's just a waste of money because I already have most of the version 2 states.  I'll just stick with those.

• Upvote 1

Hi Bronze!

I just figured out how to post images..so here they are.  First is on the border between GA (V2) and TN (V3)  Second is Near Moccasin Bend in the TN River notice the masking issue.  Hope this helps!

MegaSceneryV3_Chattanooga2.md.jpgMegaSceneryV3_Chattanooga.md.jpg

I take it from the first shot GA v2 is on the left and TN v3 is on the right?  If so, that would seem to make sense as newer data has better imagery color from what we have seen.  The left has more of a "bluish" tint to it which as you have experienced creates start border lines.  There are ways to fix this but MSE does not do that.

Yep, looks like the top tile was not masked at all causing the start line on the river.  

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yup, it's been beaten to death, but you'll always know the resolution detail by the size of the download.  To go from 1 meter resolution to say 60 cm resolution would be 4x bigger.  So if Tennessee was 30Gb at 1.2meter resolution, then 60 cm resolution would be 120Gb.  It doesn't make much sense to sell products that size, to MSE is simply gouging customers with veiled claims of increased resolution.  They've been doing that since v2.

Look I have some amazing scenery of Chattanooga and surrounding area, full blown true to life buildings, etc... I have so much scenery that I did myself, even the entire town of Lowell Mass, which was amazing.  Lots of other places as well, But the size of the download makes it impossible to distribute.  

"Look I have some amazing scenery of Chattanooga and surrounding area, full blown true to life buildings, etc... I have so much scenery that I did myself, even the entire town of Lowell Mass, which was amazing.  Lots of other places as well, But the size of the download makes it impossible to distribute."

Then how about at least some screenies of your work?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks Clutch for your reply. I paid $29.95 USD for TN V3 and it really is a ripoff. I am from Chattanooga and live there now so when I downloaded the new version I was appalled to be politically correct.

=@

Yeah, these guys really found a good scheme here.  Release more or less the same product over and over again where each successive version has not been a ton better than the previous and all versions containing not the greatest quality stuff and still collect even more money for it.  Plus creating photoreal scenery, especially at this level where they aren't doing any correction at all to it, is a relatively easy process to do.  Way over priced, if you ask me.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Here is the excellent thread by FSCOTTIE of some of his screenshots ...they look truly amazing.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/478020-mse-massachusetts-4x-anyone/

I hope that link works, if not, just search "MSE Massachusetts 4x anyone"

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

I installed the Tennessee V3 upgrade and no difference. No marinas or boat docks plus it is way too green. I reinstalled V2 and it is true to form.

I wasted $29.95 for TN V3 even though it was supposed to be 1/2 off.

What a setback for MegaScenery and a shame to sacrifice quality over cost.

No more for me =@

I'm not at all impressed with the V3 scenery. I just installed the new Ohio V3. For some reason, I was under the impression that the LOD was going to be improved in V3. It is not. It just has newer 2015 imagery. I guess I have V3 mixed up with the 4X MSE products, which appear tp be around LOD19. V3 appears to be no better than LOD15 at best. I have several of the Ultimate Cities, like Pittsburgh and Cleveland, which are excellent.

Core i9-10850K Gen10 - RTX3080 - 32G - HP Reverb G2 WMR

Also wish they would make the states at a higher LOD, fix water masking issues, and at least add night lighting.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

On 19.10.2016 at 10:18 PM, klamal said:

Yeah, these guys really found a good scheme here.  Release more or less the same product over and over again where each successive version has not been a ton better than the previous and all versions containing not the greatest quality stuff and still collect even more money for it.

I fall for this trap too, as I have bought Colorado and Utah v3, although I already have v2. Nothing really much better. Although I think the water masking has improved, Btw, Utah v3 has some 35 Gb. If you choose the freeware blueskyscenery for Utah, this one has 45Gb

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

I am not convinced that MSE actually know what watermasking is these days. I was hoping to finally obtain decent quality photoscenery of Northern Ireland with the MSE Ireland package, but it is extremely disappointing. Water masking of inland bodies of water is basically non existent, default scenery appears in numerous locations around the coastline, and Strangford Lough is a total disaster :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png