Not sure which forum to go to so starting with this one.

Just received a new TrackIR 5 and so far not able to get it to function properly  with FSX. My operating  system is Windows 10 64 bit, video card is Nvidia GTX 980, I loaded the most recent software of 5.4.2 Also using the stock reflector for the ball cap that came in the box.

As far as I can tell, the software seems to work OK with my head movements before starting FSX. After starting FSX and going to the virtual view of the aircraft panel, I only get jerky movements left and right and some up and zero down movement on screen. Also no close or far away views either. Have tried to re position the camera to be more in line with the ball cap but not much if any help.

Since I have to minimize the Trackir screen prior to starting FSX, when I stop the FSX program and then try to find the minimized Trackir I cannot find it at the bottom of  my screen as I would any other program currently operating. When I try to click on the desktop icon it says program is running but will not take me to it. Bottom line I have to restart the computer to stop Trackir.

None of the videos I have seen so far on this device address any of these problems

How do I set this equipment up to work with FSX on my 27 in Lg monitor? One final thing, I am blind in one eye and limited vision in the other. I figured the virtual reality type head sets would not work well for me and so am trying this since it should not require binocular vision. 

Hope this only a set up or calibration problem. If not will have to send it back to the NaturalPoint folks.

Terry

First thing is that TIR minimises to the system tray in the bottom right hand corner. Well it is on W7, where W10 would put it I've no idea.

TrackIR IS a steep learning curve. There are a lot of parameters to mess with. Start with the default 'Smooth' profile and use that until you can definitely say what needs to be adjusted. Don't try to do it all in one go.

Is 'TrackClip' lit up in orange? (Top left hand side of the window immediately under the camera picture)

Have you selected a profile (Smooth for the time being) in the Titles list? Flight Simulator X should be listed.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Don't give up on it. Once it's dialed in you wont/cant fly without it

One more thing. TrackIR doesn't know you're visually impaired. It reacts to your head movement. 

One more one more thing :smile: Is the camera in the centre of the monitor and is the trackclip on about the same level?

That's it.

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Hi, I've just bought TrackIR5 and use it in Win10 where it does indeed minimise to the system tray in the lower right of the taskbar. I had similar experiences trying to get it to work as I'd hoped but I got there after watching an excellent you tube tutorial by Gerry Abbot:

It took me about 2 weeks of simming to get it right for me and now I'm very pleased with it. You'll get there - it's just finding the right settings for you.

Regards

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like this is going to be quite a learning curve. Would a much larger screen size be better to use, say around 50 inches?

Terry

There should be very little 'learning curve' to getting basic functionality. Then you can fly it and tweak when you can be bothered. Probably your lighting conditions are interfering, so that's where I'd start. I recommend you find the TrackIR 'camera' view, which will show you exactly what the camera sees - unless it's seeing ONLY three green blobs, that's your problem.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like this is going to be quite a learning curve. Would a much larger screen size be better to use, say around 50 inches?

Terry

Hi Terry

I use mine on a 19" monitor and its fine - works for me. I have a two monitor setup: 19" and 17" and have never felt the need to buy anything bigger. I suspect I'm in a minority but TrackIR works on any monitor size. There's a TrackIR forum here where you can pickup hints and tips and even some pre-defined profiles (here). It's really helpful and its where I found a profile that works for me.

We're making this sound really hard - it isn't. It's just a matter of finding a profile and setting that works for you. Stick in there and you'll get something which you can really work with.

PROFILES: https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7445

GENERAL: https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewforum.php?f=60

Regards

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Again I appreciate  the the forum links. I still am unsure that FSX profile is loaded once FSX starts. That British sounding video of the A-10 set up shows he selected the A-10 profile somehow. That is where I get lost trying to get FSX profile to display.

Going to try Rupert's F12 calibration tech to see if that makes a difference. Also, do I have to change from the virtual panel to the special closeup  panels? i.e. overhead, throttles,etc

Terry

Terry

Once you define a profile then you can assign it as the default profile for FSX (or any other program) on the "Titles" tab. That way the profile will always launch when that title runs.

(Forgive me if I'm telling you something which you already know.)

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Rupert,

I found this video in which a guy is explaining how he helped a friend with the DCS A-10C problem and Trackir. He had a link to the modified profile he uses supposedly on all flight and even ground type sims. I renamed the file to FSX and it seems to work much better than the default profiles. It is a might on the twitchy side though so at least I think I might have a starting place to work from.

The Z axis now works but still not able to see center console or left/right consoles in military type FSX aircraft.  There was some other video that had a second separate program by some other guy that he could assign multiple views that would allow him to get up and close to all of the other sub panels not shown in the virtual view.

Finally, looks like the biggest problem is to get the ir camera on top of the computer monitor to stay in position. My Lg monitor is very narrow and I had to wedge some paper under the rear leg to make it a little more secure.

This is definitely not a plug and play type product, at least for the novice user. I  worked  on real world sims ( F-4Es and F-111Ds) back to the middle 70s and I know from them that in order to get something new to work you might break three unrelated items in the process. I hope this is not the case.

Again to everyone, many thanks for the help and links.

Terry

Finally, looks like the biggest problem is to get the ir camera on top of the computer monitor to stay in position

Stick the base in a drawer and use a blob of Blu-Tack, the universal mount  :smile:. As visible in my video here.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

For some reason, I am unable to keep the working/preferred  Profile as the "Exclusive" profile when I shut the tracker program down. Even though I have saved the profile it does not seem to load until I go in and tell trackir to create a new file. Then during the time I have FSX running, it appears to function 95% of the time. Then after that last 5%, the program seems to get lost again.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems?

Terry