Sign in to follow this  
roland_lfor

How to recover proper ATC guidance after P2A restart?

Hi,

Sorry if the answer is already in the forum, I was unable to find it.

In the case I have to restart P2A during for example the cruising phase, I proceed like this:

• Load and "validate" the initial flight plan in P2A, verify the computed TOD to be in front of my current position
  • Connect to the sim
  • "File" Flight Plan
  • Find the nearest ATC Center or Approach/Departure frequency
  • Contact the controller to try synchronize the guidance with my current position: contact is made, I request my current flight level to be sure controller have it. Controller gives me clearance to the good FL

Despite this process, controller NEVER takes the initiative to start descend after TOD, request ATC frequency change, attribute a STAR and approach, clear me for landing. I have to request each step, and find/change frequency myself.

Can someone tell me what I miss to get back in the automated guidance process?

Yes I know I have still much to learn :Tounge:

Thanks

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Roland,

The only thing you missed is that the initial call to Center must be a first contact call something like "Center, <CallSign> at FL 230"  Or "<CallSign> with you at Flight Leven 230".  That is the normal first contact call and triggers P2A to realize where you are.

After that initial call you can request your cruise altitude and you should then be on your way. 

In this scenario, be sure you have a desired approach in the flight plan and if you don't get the "Expect xxx arrival with the xxx approach " call sometime before TOD or the first STAR waypoint, then you may need to request an approach verbally.

Regards,

Dave

The only thing you missed is that the initial call to Center must be a first contact call something like "Center, at FL 230"  Or " with you at Flight Leven 230".  That is the normal first contact call and triggers P2A to realize where you are.

That's the way I engaged the first contact.

In this scenario, be sure you have a desired approach in the flight plan and if you don't get the "Expect xxx arrival with the xxx approach " call sometime before TOD or the first STAR waypoint, then you may need to request an approach verbally.

I'm a little bit confused with this one, interesting subject.

I usually build a P2A flight plan without SID or STAR waypoints. I only make sure that first and last waypoints match the end/start of existing SID/STAR's.

With that method, controller is always able to propose a suitable SID during departure clearance, so my understanding is it's not required to insert SID/STAR waypoints in flight plans to get a valid one from the controller.

In real life I believe also that at least the STAR is dynamically selected by controller during approach as the wind direction can change and so the active runway.

So do you confirm it's required to insert a STAR in P2A FP?

Then what happens if the valid runway changes, or I (as a pilot) requires another one?

Thanks

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Not a STAR.  You need to have an Approach (ILS, RNAV, etc) because you may have missed the trigger to set all this up.  You were asking about an abnormal recovery situation, not a regular flight.

In a regular flight, you can set it up the way you describe.

Dave