Sign in to follow this  
nealmac

Should I buy the PMDG 747 when it's released?

Ok, so bear with me for a minute.

A bit of background iformation. I currently own the Aerosoft A320. I don't own the FSL version, and when the P3D version is released I probably won't bother buying it. I'm quite happy with the Aerosoft bus. I know it's not as immersive as the FSL version, but I'm ok with that. I'm not training to be a real pilot. I just like keeping it simple. Ok. Park that thought for a moment.

I also own the PMDG 737 and 777. And I intend to buy the 747 when it's released. However, I'm thinking I wasted money on the 777 and 737. I'll never use them to the level of detail that they can be used. As I said above, I'm happy to keep things simple. I probably should have bought the iFly versions.

So I guess my question is this: Should I buy the iFly 747 instead of the PMDG version? The fact that I like simplicity, would the cheaper 747 cater for my needs to the same level that the Aerosoft bus can? in other words if Flight Sim Labs is to PMDG, is it fair to say Aerosoft is to iFly?

Also, is the iFly 747 reliable? Is it at the same level as the Aerosoft bus? I'm happy enough to cut immersion factor in favour of price to the same level as Aerosoft, but not if it's full of bugs and horrible to fly. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I faced that too and suggest you wait on the pmdg one, much expensive, likely near $150us for the p3d version, but worth it as it's going to be a much better product than the ifly one.

spacer.png

Yeah, I'm dreading what the price is going to be. I forgot to mention that the 777 I bought is for FSX, and it's now sitting redundant as I've purged FSX completely at this stage. And I can't bring myself to forking out €130 (or thereabouts) for the P3D version.

Make no mistake, I'd love to get the PMDG version of the 747 over the iFly version, but do you not reckon the iFly version comes up to "Aerosoft" type standards?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Something else to consider... the Aerosoft Airbus is scheduled to be released in the next several months, so that would also provide you with a wide body, long haul aircrash.  ;)

To be honest, I have the PMDG aircraft, and for personal reasons I don't have them installed anymore.  I might reinstall at some point, but for now I'm VERY happy with the Dash 8 Pro, Aerosoft Airbus and the Leonardo Maddog... and I'll consider my stable complete with the Aerosoft A330.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

long haul aircrash;)

Hopefully not Dave, eh?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm a big fan of Aerosoft (you may or may not have seen me on the forums over there) and regardless of anything else, not only will I be getting the A330 but also the CRJ when they come out  :smile:

However, I always had a soft spot for the 747 and I'd like to have one in my hangar. I'm just a bit concerned about spending a lot of money on a product and not using it to it's full potential.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I'lll be most likely getting the PMDG 747, it's a must have for me, along with Aerosoft A330/CRJ and QualityWings 787 and FSLabs A320 for P3D whenever that comes out. That's my wish list.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Try the iFly 747.  You may like it and Flight 1 has a 30 day refund policy if it doesn't suit your needs.

• Upvote 1

I faced that too and suggest you wait on the pmdg one, much expensive, likely near $150us for the p3d version, but worth it as it's going to be a much better product than the ifly one.

If that number you mention will indeed be the price, I will definitely NOT be buying it...

Something else to consider... the Aerosoft Airbus is scheduled to be released in the next several months, so that would also provide you with a wide body, long haul aircrash.  ;)

To be honest, I have the PMDG aircraft, and for personal reasons I don't have them installed anymore.  I might reinstall at some point, but for now I'm VERY happy with the Dash 8 Pro, Aerosoft Airbus and the Leonardo Maddog... and I'll consider my stable complete with the Aerosoft A330.

Best wishes!

Huh?  what  do you mean "the aerosoft airbus is scheduled to be reelased"?  Do you mean a new/different model?

Huh? what do you mean "the aerosoft airbus is scheduled to be reelased"? Do you mean a new/different model?

They have an Airbus A330 in development.

Try the iFly 747.  You may like it and Flight 1 has a 30 day refund policy if it doesn't suit your needs.

Thanks for that. I never thought of Flight 1's refund policy. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Just a guess but the PMDG 777 for P3D is $135US.

The difference in price between an FSX version versus P3D has never been adequately explained.  Other developed such as VRS price this way as well however.  Having said that, developers are of course free to set their own prices.

If that number you mention will indeed be the price, I will definitely NOT be buying it...

spacer.png

I was having the same debate between the two 747's and my wallet this time last year. Still have not purchased either due to still waiting for one to release, and the other. Well, the other just isn't PMDG. Tough choices.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

+1 

That's almost exactly how I feel. I loved the PMDG planes for FSX, but I am not impressed by their "buy the plane again for P3D" policy. That's another reason why I will get the A330 instead of the 747 to have a good long-haul jet.

As for the OP's question: if you are sticking with normal procedures, you won't use many of the features that PMDG and FSL planes offer. However, it may still be worth it because these planes tend to work almost flawlessly. I don't know the iFly 747, but I could imagine that it will go on aggressive sale once the PMDG 747 has been released. I would wait and decide later.

Peter

• Upvote 1