Sign in to follow this  
theother1

Prepar3D exe has stopped working - after installing 777

Hi

I had a perfectly working P3D with the 737 PMDG installed.

Today I decided to purchase the PMDG 777 together with the 300 extension.

After installing them both, I can no longer launch P3D. I see the P3D logo screen for a while and then I get the error:

Prepar3D exe has stopped working.

I wasted 3 hours getting it to work now, looked at forum posts, I gave up.... I'm exhausted...

I then removed PMDG 777 and still couldn't launch P3D, which caused a slight panic.

I went back to a backup from yesterday and replaced the P3D folder. 

After this, everything worked again as normal.

I then installed 777 PMDG again, and AGAIN I get the error!!

This is very frustrating. Especially since I installed the 737 last week without a glitch. I have all the Simconnect installed.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Steve Rhodes

-----------------

Oculus Rift CV1 (1.9.0.292703) - GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X Graphics Card (latest driver) - i7 3930K - Asus P9X79 - 32GB DDR3 1600MHz - P3D 3.4.9 - W10 Pro x64 (all updates)

-----------------

I checked the Event viewer and found this:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.9.18400, time stamp: 0x57d9b14e
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dacde1
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d9841
Faulting process ID: 0x36b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d22c65ba1531f7
Faulting application path: E:\Lockheed MartinPrepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 0f4242e8-c754-44d1-b3ce-75df76f31f52
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

------------------------
and also this:
------------------------
Fault bucket 108437442262, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Prepar3D.exe
P2: 3.4.9.18400
P3: 57d9b14e
P4: StackHash_b7f6
P5: 10.0.14393.206
P6: 57dacde1
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_18_FROM_ntdll+0x0006E1BC
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER35A3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Prepar3D.exe_ed4b6c59a5a1a1938c3effb39871163912a461_a08fd2bc_2ad952d0

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: 03c2b138-3097-4e8a-8ef3-a165df48656b
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 135c5bde511e49b6060fb83ae6c7a8dd

My guess is that there is a dll module or exe called by P3Ds dll.xml or exe.xml files because the error is occurring during startup and it followed an installation of something.  The faulting module ntdll.dll is a system level module, which doesn't tell us which dll or exe is at fault.

You didn't specify how you removed PMDG 777, did you use the control panel? Did you remove both the extension and the base package?

You mention the oculus rift but nothing else. Do you not have any other addons?

If you are familiar with the format of the dll.xml and exe.xml files, please give them a look for any issues such as format errors, etc.   Then try turning every thing off (set disable to true) and see if you can launch P3D. 

Finally, hate to ask but can't assume:  You are not using EMT, correct?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know what EMT is so I googled it. No, I don't use it.

I used the (Program and features) Control panel to remove both 777 installs.

When P3D threw the same error still, I was confused and no longer sure what the reason was. All I knew is that before it worked.

Anyway, the only way to know for sure, was to go back (I backup every day at night automatically) and replace the whole Lockheed Martin folder.

Once I did that, I could launch P3D again.

I then reinstalled the 777 packages again. When starting it first, it says there is an update for FS2Crew and if I want to download it. I first had no idea what this is, and then realised this is something that comes with PMDG. I clicked yes and downloaded it, but in the meantime P3D already crashed.

I then applied the update, started P3D again and it crashed again (after a minute a 2). I can't even get to the registration page or Load page.

I also tried to delete the FSUIPC ini, deleted the Prepar3D.cfg, Prepar3D_Default.fxml and Prepar3D_Default.wx, it made no difference.

I launched it also with Flyinside (for Oculus), and it crashes exactly in the same way as when just launching P3D.

Because I only bought P3D a week ago (after a 10 year break from sim flying!), everything is clean and relatively simple. 

I only have:

FSUIPC 4 (4.957b)

UK2000 (EGLL, EGKK, EGSS), Digitaldesign Salzburg, AS_Mega EDDF, JustSim LOWI, AS_Ibiza_x_Evolution, Flytampa LOWW, LSGG

I also have GSX installed as well as a few ORBX things (Global Base, Global Vector, HD Trees, EU)

Then I have AS2016+ASCA

Plane wise I only have the PMDG 737 (+ extension) and of course the newly bought PMDG 777s.

I installed the 3x SimConnects as it says in the PMDG readme.

I had a new NV GForce update yesterday, but even rolling back to the old driver, doesn't change anything. (and it doesn't make sense, because everything worked when I replaced the P3D folder to the version before PMDG 777).

"If you are familiar with the format of the dll.xml and exe.xml files"

No, I'm not. What files are they, where I can I find them and what should I be looking for/change?

thanks

Steve

PS: also, PMDG is not my default aircraft. It's the default P3D one with the raptor jet. (I read all the PMDG instructions! :) )

The update from FS2Crew is for the RAAS feature included in the 777.  You can defer this update until later when things are working.

I think you've done about all you can by forcing a rebuild of the cfg and default files.  I am not familiar with flyinside or oculus so I have concerns that they are somehow interrelated with the 777 install but I'm not sure what to advise given your unfamiliarity with xml files; therefor, I recommend you got to PMDG Product Support at  http://support.precisionmanuals.com, if it is first time then you need to create a support account (support accounts are separate from sales accounts). Open a trouble ticket, explain or copy past your forum post and provide link to it to get them started.

The only thing I would try... just because I think the ntdll.dll error is driver related, is to go back to your operating P3D (good idea saving that!!!!) and remove oculus, make sure all works, install 777 base package only and see if it works. If it doesn't you ruled out something and you're otherwise no worse off.

Dan Downs KCRP

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dacde1

Usually indicates a graphics driver issue.

For the record, we do not reference it directly in our code, so it's not a PMDG issue.

Kyle Rodgers

Usually indicates a graphics driver issue.

For the record, we do not reference it directly in our code, so it's not a PMDG issue.

But why does everything work including 737 NX? Why does P3D crash when I don't even load the 777 yet?

What does the 777 installer change so that P3D can't even launch anymore?

I tried the last two version of the GForce drivers - makes no difference at all.

I will open a support ticket with PMDG.

But why does everything work including 737 NX? Why does P3D crash when I don't even load the 777 yet?

What does the 777 installer change so that P3D can't even launch anymore?

I tried the last two version of the GForce drivers - makes no difference at all.

I will open a support ticket with PMDG.

You sound like you are convinced it is the PMDG product at fault here.... you haven't defined the problem yet so of course there are questions and things don't make sense.

Keep in mind that many installations do not have a problem, most users never even visit the forum.

I recommend you start isolating the problem by removing add on software, which is a valid technique and usually the first one LM recommends in their forum.  In this case you are looking for an interaction between something installed and installing the 777.

By the way, all things "installed" into the P3D environment use various means of interacting.  Some comply with the LM SDK and many do not.  PMDG alters the dll.xml file as does many other add ons, and these changes can impact each other if done incorrectly.

Keep us in the forum posted with an update once you define the problem and get it resolved.

Dan Downs KCRP

No, I know it's more complicated. I'm not pointing any finger, but there is a strong case for starting with PMDG if everything works before installing it. It would be good to know what PMDG changes in the startup of P3D, when I'm not even loading a PMDG plane at that stage? Or maybe they've come across something like this before.

I have a really basic setup here, with only a few sceneries, the only plane the PMDG 737 apart from the 777, and FSUIPC.

I will experiment with the add ons later, but they are such basic addons, that you would think other people had mentioned problems.

I will also look what got written into the dll.xml and play around with that.

thanks

Did a bit of trial and error with the dll.xml files (AppData/Roaming and ProjectData) and found out when disabling RAASPRO P3D loads ok and I was able to enter my registration details for the 777.

I then looked at other people having similar issues and none of their advice worked. The first was to move bglmanx.dll over to the ProgramData file. It was already there.

But even when I disabled every single entry in both lists except RAASPRO, P3D would still crash at startup.

I had to give up and disable RAASPRO and live with that for now until I find a solution.

--------------

Steve Rhodes