Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Orbx problem

I had FSX Boxed then now I have FSX Steam. I have several hundred dollars worthj of Orbx Scenery but my downloads can't find the path. I've used registry fixer. Towards the end of the install ORBX does offer a way to find the path to the Steam exe. but when I go into it's files it won't let me dig deep enough to locate it. I can see steam but not the exe. I went into my file configuration and made the change to show the hidden files. How can a company like ORBX not make the neccesary changes so someone like us with Steam can make it easier to download?

I think your confusing downloading with installing. Downloading is when you go to Simmarket and actually download the product to your computer. Installing is when you've finished downloading the product to your computer then install it.

To download the product is easy, just go to your account that you originally purchased it and redownload it.

So are you have a hard time installing it or actually downloading it? Because you seemed to indicate both.

ORBX also has a non-official support forum and they have their own support forum that you can access from the ORBX website.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I learn something new everyday. No problem with the downloads. Apparently ORBX Products are not geared for Steam. The problem is the installation where ORBX  can't find the path.

Both ORBX and the registry fixer that I have doesn't show the Steam Exe. It's showing the file Steam on my E Drive but not the components.

if  you go  to the ftx  forum  they will  get you fixed

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Where's the fix forum?

www.fullterrain.com

You need to Register to get support.

Look at the Support section of the Orbx page.

There should be instructions in there on how to do it.

You need to put the Purchase Code for an Orbx Product you have purchased in your Orbx Online Name Signature.

Once you have that set up you can ask a question in a Forum. 

There are quite a few. Look for one close to what you have a problem with, they will redirect it if its in the wrong forum.

They are generally pretty good at answering queries once you are registered, as outline above.

Two days ago I purchased FSX Steam for over twenty-four dollars. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the correct path for my add ons ( ORBX ). When I log into the Steam Page there is nothing in my inventory. There is a button that says click on if you want Steam. My files are showing Steam but I don't see the FSX Simulator . I believe that's why the registry fixer is not working.

There is a window that gives me a chance to open FSX. It says 'Play Now' - Launch Application. I clicked on it and a pop up says; Steam Clien Boot Strapper needs to be open-Send to. I click on that and a few files open, not all related, but that's where it ends. No boot strapper in that list. I'm wondering if I should un-install Steam and try all over again.

Something must be wrong with your Steam install or your windows registry....CCleaner might help with cleaning the registry.

I have a couple of ORBX products and have no problems with installing them in FSX Steam   Normally, the install checks where FSX-SE is installed and finds it automatically.  It should look something like this example: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX....this is my install of Steam in the E directory, yours might be different.. The installer should automatically point to it...if not, point to it manually by browsing the directory where fsx in installed.  Hope this helps you...

Two days ago I purchased FSX Steam for over twenty-four dollars. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the correct path for my add ons ( ORBX ). When I log into the Steam Page there is nothing in my inventory. There is a button that says click on if you want Steam. My files are showing Steam but I don't see the FSX Simulator . I believe that's why the registry fixer is not working.

There is a window that gives me a chance to open FSX. It says 'Play Now' - Launch Application. I clicked on it and a pop up says; Steam Clien Boot Strapper needs to be open-Send to. I click on that and a few files open, not all related, but that's where it ends. No boot strapper in that list. I'm wondering if I should un-install Steam and try all over again.

When we get FSX:SE from Steam we need to be sure about how we are going to install it.

If we have FSX original versions already on the system an FSX:SE installation will create a different installation to that of FSX to allow FSX:SE to run with it's own file naming system. We can remove FSX original versions from the system before installing FSX:SE and FSX:SE will install and look just like original FSX since it can use that original file system.

Removing FSX original versions properly is not straightforward, performing an FSX:SE install on a system with any parts of old FSX will create problems for the sim and it may not be installed correctly.

Installing FSX:SE alongside FSX original versions works fine but can present problems for addons especially older addons not recently updated to suite FSX:SE installed alongside FSX.

When we finally get FSX:SE installed we have to run it first from the Steam menu and if it's successful we will OK to the EULA and the installation of FSX:SE will be completed. The sim will follow installation completion tasks by starting up to the menu screens.

Our DLC addons will be installed as well at this time. We can prevent installation by unchecking the DLC items in the Steam menu FSX:SE page. We can check or uncheck those DLC items, but remember to re-run FSX:SE to update the installation settings.

We make sure all this completes before installing other addons.

For addons that read/write in the program folder area we don't need to add the Modify permission for the Users group with the FSX:SE program folder since the \SteamApps folder already has User group access. With that in mind we don't need to install FSX:SE on another drive to avoid User account access problems, although it's perfectly fine to place the Steam installation on other drives and works quite normally.

SimConnect: Since FSX:SE only installs 62615 (its own SimConnect module), and 61259 (the FSX SP2 SimConnect module), before installing any other addons we need to be sure we have installed the other two legacy SimConnect versions 60905 and 61242. We run the .msi installers from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1".

After making sure the simulator works perfectly we can backup the exe.xml and dll.xml and go ahead and install addons, one at a time, making a note of how they use the xml files and we can check the entries made are correct. If we've got parallel installs of FSX:SE and FSX we need to make sure if the addon has been updated to suit the different folder names and download those first before installing old versions built for FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I un-installed, then re-installed STEAM . Now it's working. thanks for the help.