Sign in to follow this  
Richard Avenido

Upgrading from gtx 970 to RX 480

Hello there guys! So I am planning to upgrade my aging gtx 970 g1 to an MSI RX 480, is the Rx 480 a good GPU for FSX:SE? Or i should just stick to nvidia?

Thats hardly an upgrade at all. Stick with nVidia for flightsimming and also, I see no reason to upgrade to anything else than a 1070 or better coming from a 970. Besides, you probably wont see any major boost in FSX at all due to its love for CPU power, not GPU...P3D and XPX is a different story.

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

So I am planning to upgrade my aging gtx 970 g1 to an MSI RX 480

Two things here, the 970 is still way more graphics card than FSX/FSX-SE will ever need.

The RX480 is a poor choice for any FSX/ESP based sim same applies for any AMD card really, stick to Nvidia.