Sign in to follow this  

Orbx: new rules

Can I stay with FTX Central V2 if I don't plan on getting anything else from OrbX? How about future patches on existing products that I own, am I going to be able to patch without FTX Central V3?

Can I stay with FTX Central V2 if I don't plan on getting anything else from OrbX? How about future patches on existing products that I own, am I going to be able to patch without FTX Central V3?

+1

While I'm sure their intentions are good, I wish they'd leave things alone. It works fine the way it is.

+1  I wish they could leave things alone for 5 minutes.

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

This is one of the best updates ORBX has done. I am sure they can now catch all those who pirate software. As far as the program itself, it is super simple and easy to use. Everything orbx related in one nifty little program. Makes reinstalls and updates painless. I am sure that FTXCv3 will be a requirement moving forward... why would they stick with v2. 

No future patches without the new FTX Central v3

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Oh I like it the new FTX Central V3,  One Click and its there,  No more Un wrapping and looking for Order Numbers and so on.   All your purchases nicely laid out

I love it,  Very good 

I dont see how a system that makes our lives simpler and more efficient is viewed as a bad thing. This update gives us a better store, one click purchase with no downloads of separate installers, an easier backup system, much better user interface and account management, and most of all an uninstall option for all of our products! You dont have to uninstall anything for it to work and you can still install from your old zipped installers if you really enjoy typing in your purchase information. How could anyone take issue with this? Its better in literally every single way. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I dont see how a system that makes our lives simpler and more efficient is viewed as a bad thing.

Its better in literally every single way.

+100 if not +1000

Often I can understand or sympathize some of the more negative remarks (even when I don't agree) but I am surprised at some of the reactions right now. This new way of working does everything everyone always asked for (easy install AND uninstall, automatic updates, no more validation routines, etc.). It's indeed better in literally every single way! Well, this shows that as usual you can't please everybody, no matter how utterly absolutely awesome it is what you do. :wink:

Can I stay with FTX Central V2 if I don't plan on getting anything else from OrbX? YES  How about future patches on existing products that I own, am I going to be able to patch without FTX Central V3? NO

Switching from C2 to C3 and then transferring your licences from FSS to OrbXDirect (two different things) is a breeze, my friend. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I actually have tons of Orbx crap that I long ago stopped using because it was just far too much of a hassle. In the end, it was kind of like drugs; IE when you're a "user" you really really crave new "hits" to feed your incessant scenery cravings, but after going cold turkey for a while and becoming "clean", you're kind of glad to have kicked the habit and moved on with life.

Now the issue occurs..... Do I have any urge to return to that old life, with DTG sim and Xp11 right around the corner? (Not to even mention Aerofly)

Can and should you go home again, or has time and history moved on to a new chapter, leaving ambivalent memories?

I'll think about it, but what I really wish is that I was strong minded enough to just delete it all.

I read through all of the replies to this "enlightening" thread and yours stood out because it reminds me of what I did a few weeks ago.  I never wanted to mention ORBX by name in some past comments I've made, but I think I can safely say that I'd been with the 1% of doubters out there about the direction ORBX was going with their migrations and new store.  I am still adamant about not purchasing anything further from ORBX due to the latent issues I had with their previous products and how they migrated, but this is NOT to say that ORBX is a bad company.  Buyer beware always echos in my mind whenever I purchase anything, but more to the point, I tend to stay away from products that cause trouble, frustration or a general negative experience.  I made the switch to XP a few weeks ago and have been happy as a clam with the switch but oddly enough, last night I had to do a flight test in P3D for my new flight controller and I performed a short haul flight, complete with ORBX scenery.  Oddly enough, the flight went very well, despite the fact that previous flights in the same area of the world caused issues.

I sometimes ponder the insane thought of deleting all of my flight sim content and moving on to a new hobby, one that doesn't cause so much of the above referenced emotions.  I'd probably be a more chipper and happier person for it, but flying is my addiction (safer than drugs) and I want to stick with it because I made a personal commitment.  Notice I never once mentioned the thousands of dollars I've spent on it in such a short time?  I cannot regret those decisions, since no one forced my hand.  Some of it was need, some was curiosity and some was just plain dumb, but I had to live and learn.

As for what ORBX has become now, time will tell, but for now, I will hold out as long as I can.  My external hard drive is still fully stocked with my content and always ready to reinstall when I need to.  Yep, I'm still part of the 1%.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This is one of the best updates ORBX has done. I am sure they can now catch all those who pirate software. As far as the program itself, it is super simple and easy to use. Everything orbx related in one nifty little program. Makes reinstalls and updates painless. I am sure that FTXCv3 will be a requirement moving forward... why would they stick with v2. 

Amen!!!

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I actually have tons of Orbx crap that I long ago stopped using because it was just far too much of a hassle. In the end, it was kind of like drugs; IE when you're a "user" you really really crave new "hits" to feed your incessant scenery cravings, but after going cold turkey for a while and becoming "clean", you're kind of glad to have kicked the habit and moved on with life.

Although I  agree with the general premise of what you said,

There are select products from Orbx that does add value. IF you can self moderate without becoming an addict, then I would suggest these Items only.

From the Global 

- Base Pack

- Vector (restricted to basic features)

- LC (depends on which area you fly a lot.. for me.. Its NA.)

- Global Airports only. KEGE, KSEZ , KPSP and whatever other Global airports you like to fly.

IF you can restrict yourself to these then you are fine.. I think.

I own the PNW and many of the small airports in PNW... I used to buy them like an addict...but rarely fly them anymore.. after 10 mins, I lose interest. I am not planning to remove it.

I own AU which I do not fly anymore and I have removed AU. 

I have not looked at any of their EU, UK offerings.... IF they do any EU for the Global package, then I may consider it like I would an Aerosoft airport. Piece by piece.

This way, you are restricted to around $300 (get them during a sale).

The  good thing about their airports for the Global base pack is,  you do not have to get their regions and then end up buying too many airports in close proximity making that area unflyable (OOMs) .  Their Sedona (KSEZ)  is amazing sitting on top of my Arizona Mega Scenery Phototextures...  I like to fly the CS 727 or the PMDG 737 from this small airport to Flightbeam's Phoenix and KPSP and FSDT's KLAS. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Although I  agree with the gneral premise of what you said,

There are select products from Orbx that does add value. IF you can self moderate without becoming an addict, then I would suggest these Items only.

From the Global 

- Base Pack

- Vector (restricted to basic features)

- LC (depends on which area you fly a lot.. for me.. Its NA.)

- Global Airports only. KEGE, KSEZ , KPSP and whatever other Global airports you like to fly.

IF you can restrict yourself to these then you are fine.. I think.

I own the PNW and many of the small airports in PNW... I used to buy them like an addict...but rarely fly them anymore.. after 10 mins, I lose interest. I am not planning to remove it.

I own AU which I do not fly anymore and I have removed AU. 

Or... you can go the region way. FTX Norway has been released in december 2014. I bought it the day it was released. And I've been flying there ever since. Maybe I did a flight outside of it every now and then but usually I only fly there. I don't have addon airports for it (Orbx didn't release much for Norway anyway), I even stopped using the (btw excellent) freeware airports (mainly because I like it more when everything is on the same quality level, even if that level is lower) and still I enjoy flying there. I don't really see the use of addon airports: I spend all my time in the cockpit and usually spend 5 to 10% percent of my time on the ground (usually looking at the gauges): the plane I fly and what I see during my flight is far more important to me. Who needs all that detail which you zip by in seconds anyway.

I did buy a lot of addon airports for PNW in my pre-Norway days but I stopped buying them because it was fun checking them out for a day or two but then I was done with it. I also hated flying out of a good looking airport into a default one (as I said I like everything to be on the same level) and I also hated to only fly from addon airport to addon airport.

To me Global plus Vector (hate it) and openLC (it's okay) plus some airports is already too much and over the top. The regions are the best imho. But it's all very personal. I am glad though I have a rather cheap preference. I'd hate to be an airport lover. :wink:

Or... you can go the region way.

Good point.

I should have qualified with Airliners vs GA flying.

I almost always go to the PMDG 777.. and sometimes I go to the PMDG 737 or the CS 727. Thats why I like the Global base package. 

If I were to do GA like the Real Air Duke, then I fly in the PNW (region)..

Yeah..if I was living in Norway and I am a GA person then yeah, that Region makes perfect sense.

For Europe there are plenty of choices. I love VFR France and what they are doing for France.  I love Photoscenery for NL and Belgium and  UK and with Chris's Night environment, they sparkle during Dusk.

I too am losing interest in Airports... unless they are interesting airports like Katmandu, Lukla, Paro or Courchvel or Aspen or Sedona or Gibraltar, Kai Tak, Julianna. OMDB (Dubai ) . These are the airports I keep going back to time and time again...  There are probably no more than 20 such interesting airports around the world. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Switching from C2 to C3 and then transferring your licences from FSS to OrbXDirect (two different things) is a breeze, my friend.

Thanks for the info. Well at least I don't have to upgrade to FTX V3 for now. I have everything running fine. I guess if I do a reinstall of P3D or upgrade to a new version then I'll do the FTX C V3. In other words, there is no rush for me in doing this.

Thanks for the info. Well at least I don't have to upgrade to FTX V3 for now. I have everything running fine. I guess if I do a reinstall of P3D or upgrade to a new version then I'll do the FTX C V3. In other words, there is no rush for me in doing this.

There is no deadline so take your time but, you'll see, not a big deal. BTW, the British Isles "fat" regions have been upgraded with V3 to the new night lighting system OpenLC NA already has.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam