Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just finished setting up my new Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor

Man...do I recommend owning one of these beauts for flight simming.

I just retired my 25 inch wide screen, and replaced it with this, this morning.

I thought a year ago, that the ultra wide 21 aspect ratio was a gimmick...along with a curved display.

I was wrong......

This has increased my immersion ten fold.  Also, a perk...because of the native

3440x1440 native resolution, I just gained 5 FPS across all my sims...because I no longer need any type of A.A.   The screen output is drop dead, gorgeous, and a GTX 1070 has no problem driving it.

Being that it is Ultra HD, you don't get killed driving a 4K monitor...with resultant loss of FPS.

You can read up on this monitor...and there are killer reviews on many sites, as well as YouTube, raving about the quality display, etc.

Yep...I can now vouch for those reviews....

Again, most highly recommended to the reader, if you have an itch for a monitor refresh....

I do have a question though...   If you could choose, HDMI, or D.P. (Display Port),   which connection gives the better picture and throughput?   This is the first monitor that gives me multiple input options, along with MDL as well.   So...Display Port, or HDMI?    Thanks for any advice...

Cheers,

I've been flying in all three of my sims this morning...and I can't recommend this monitor highly enough.   The color performance is amazing.  The feature list is extensive.  One of the features...is that you can set program detection to automatic. What this does, is when the monitor detects a game parameter, it sets up the color, contrast, brightness, dynamic contrast, for the best gaming experience.

When I run either Chrome, or Explorer, the monitor informs me that it has now switched to Multimedia Mode, and of course a video, it intelligently knows if it is still a multimedia feed, or a movie via DVD or a movie service.

I have barely touched the surface of all the option menus, etc.   

The other observance, is that now...the entire screen addresses the human pherifiral vision, from side to side.  You really feel, you are in the scene...whether it be in the virtual cockpit, or in spot view.  My 25 inch, in no way gave me this sense of 'being part of the happening'.

I waited until Dell had a great promotion..and then dropped the hammer.  If interested, just monitor Dell's site, and when the best sale price comes up....decide then.   One thing is for sure, you will NOT be disappointed  in the UHD display, and the 21:9 Aspect Ratio of this beast....

Very satisfied with this purchase.

Big is beautiful. I had a Dell U2711, but when I tried to hook up a 40" TV I threw it out. Next up will be a 50-65" 4K TV, but I'm waiting for P3D 64 bit before investing into new hardware.

Be sure you have good cables. Some of the cheaper DP and HDMI cables can cause issues and reduce image quality. I've replaced a few DP cables myself before finding something that didn't cause the occasional need to reconnect loose plugs.

Have fun simming!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have had this same monitor for over a year and echo your comments  The ultra-wide is perfect for flight simulation. I admit I haven't really messed around with all of the settings other than setting the brightness/contrast but haven't even felt the need to!!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Glad you are liking the monitor!  My wife surprised me with the same monitor last year for Christmas and absolutely still love mine as well!

I use it for everything from reading blueprints for my construction company to flight sims/racing sims, Kerbal Space Program to whatever the current new shooter is (currently loving Titanfall 2!).  No complaints at all, it works and looks fantastic.

Hmm - I'm tempted... I know the developers at Aerosoft have been raving about ultra wides as well...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Big is beautiful. I had a Dell U2711, but when I tried to hook up a 40" TV I threw it out. Next up will be a 50-65" 4K TV, but I'm waiting for P3D 64 bit before investing into new hardware.

Be sure you have good cables. Some of the cheaper DP and HDMI cables can cause issues and reduce image quality. I've replaced a few DP cables myself before finding something that didn't cause the occasional need to reconnect loose plugs.

Have fun simming!

Thanks....am using the DP to mini-DP that came with the Dell.   I was so surprised in how good the speakers were on this thing!!!    Can you advise me...is HDMI better over a DP connection, or the reverse?  Or...does it not really matter?   Never had choices....only had a DVI-Digital on the Samsung 25'er

I have had this same monitor for over a year and echo your comments  The ultra-wide is perfect for flight simulation. I admit I haven't really messed around with all of the settings other than setting the brightness/contrast but haven't even felt the need to!!

I REALLY like the fact, that I don't have to move my eyes, or head to the left or right...for my pherifiral vision to pick up the entire 'natural' scene now before me. What a difference this makes....and you can't really 'describe' it to another. They have to sit down  with a 21:9 AR...and see the massive difference for themselves.  Heck..I even go as far to say, that I'd recommend someone pick up one of these, BEFORE they think of purchasing another G-card upgrade. It would be excellent money spent for the bang-for-the-buck you would receive in sheer immersion enjoyment!

Hmm - I'm tempted... I know the developers at Aerosoft have been raving about ultra wides as well...

:wink:

Regards,

Scott

Scott..oh jeez...drop the hammer...this thing is INCREDIBLE!   To glance left or right...and not see the computer desk beyond the left or right edge of the monitor...only the cockpit and windows....WOW, and WOW, and when you start a bank....YOU ARE IN THAT COCKPIT, like nothing else!

Cheers,

Glad you are liking the monitor!  My wife surprised me with the same monitor last year for Christmas and absolutely still love mine as well!

I use it for everything from reading blueprints for my construction company to flight sims/racing sims, Kerbal Space Program to whatever the current new shooter is (currently loving Titanfall 2!).  No complaints at all, it works and looks fantastic.

I put in the Dell CD to load in the Monitor Manager software..and started to read all the features.   Love the fact that they have even placed an auto-feature, that adjusts for LED fatigue, over the years you will own this beaut!   Trust Dell to put out a great product!  I'm still shaking my head, in how huge this thing is before me, LOL!

That is a good price for a Canadian purchaser.  About $300.00 off the $1299.00 norm!   :hi:

Henry...you order one of these...and after the first flight compared to whatever you have now....you'll forget the money spent, I already have, lol.   Have fun!

i appreciate your help. i do run 3 screens, main one is an ASUS 27, the second monitor samsung 19, and the third screen is a LG 30 ... so i might give it a shot i was looking for ever to get a monitor like that.. just have somehow to hide it from my wife  lol

henry k

i appreciate your help. i do run 3 screens, main one is an ASUS 27, the second monitor samsung 19, and the third screen is a LG 30 ... so i might give it a shot i was looking for ever to get a monitor like that.. just have somehow to hide it from my wife  lol

henry k

Hope your wife...leaves her Christmas list...LOL. 

A final suggestion, if you do spring for it...is to take the time as a first thing, to insert the disc that comes with the monitor, and read the entire Owner's Manual.   This will go a long way towards your own custom pref and setup.  Also...you need to adjust the INPUT SELECTION, on the monitor OSD, to the input that is coming from your G-Card.  I didn't...and even though I had it properly connected, the monitor said (default is DP (not the DPmini)) that it could not find a computer video signal. I then used the on-board Input Selection and scrolled down to D.P(mini), and then my Desktop screen came up.  Once you do that, the monitor remains in that input, until you change it. 

You can also have an HDMI connection (at the same time you also have the Display Port default or mini) coming from your G-Card, if it allows for it...and all you would have to do, is once more, go to the on-board OSD display, and then select; HDMI.  Lots of features and choices.  I won't even go into the USB Speed 3.0 Hot Charge port as well as the USB Speed 3 Uplink 1 and 2, with four downlinks, etc, etc, etc....as well as this monitor has great sounding stereo speakers (9W) built right in!

I've been flying in all three of my sims this morning...and I can't recommend this monitor highly enough.   The color performance is amazing.  The feature list is extensive.  One of the features...is that you can set program detection to automatic. What this does, is when the monitor detects a game parameter, it sets up the color, contrast, brightness, dynamic contrast, for the best gaming experience.

When I run either Chrome, or Explorer, the monitor informs me that it has now switched to Multimedia Mode, and of course a video, it intelligently knows if it is still a multimedia feed, or a movie via DVD or a movie service.

I have barely touched the surface of all the option menus, etc.   

The other observance, is that now...the entire screen addresses the human pherifiral vision, from side to side.  You really feel, you are in the scene...whether it be in the virtual cockpit, or in spot view.  My 25 inch, in no way gave me this sense of 'being part of the happening'.

I waited until Dell had a great promotion..and then dropped the hammer.  If interested, just monitor Dell's site, and when the best sale price comes up....decide then.   One thing is for sure, you will NOT be disappointed  in the UHD display, and the 21:9 Aspect Ratio of this beast....

Very satisfied with this purchase.

Hi, when you say you tried the monitor in your three sims, could you confirm P3Dv3.4 is supporting the ultrawide format?. Thanks.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi, when you say you tried the monitor in your three sims, could you confirm P3Dv3.4 is supporting the ultrawide format?. Thanks.

Cheers, Ed

Sure is, Ed.  So is FSX, XP, and FS9!

Make sure that you go to window mode.  Open up the Window Mode to full screen. Then go to Windowless Full Screen.  Exit out of the sim. The next time you open up P3D, it will be full 21:9 and in Full Screen Mode.

The first time you run P3D, or any other sim, after you install your monitor, you will need to go within each sim, and set it to the NATIVEx32bit of your monitor purchase.

I'm running it at 3440x1440, and it looks fantastic! 

I've been dreaming about upgrading my monitor as well. I've been using a Dell Ultrasharp 24" since 2007 and have been feeling the itch to upgrade. My current Dell has served me well and it's a miracle it still works given the amount of hours that thing has been running.

Will start to research into this for sure. What do you guys think, will my 980TI be sufficient for this? Don't know how my card stacks up against the competition these days. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Hi Folks,

Man - I'm so conflicted...

• 34" 21:9 Ulta Wide

or

• 43" 16:9 4K TV

My 20" 4:3 has to go...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7