Sign in to follow this  
out

Asking for advice on buying an ultrawide monitor

That has indeed something tempting. Good to see that you got up and running tonight. Enjoy the views!

Hans

Thank you, Hans.

Have a good night!

Enjoy the views!

I am! :smile:

CYUL_777_zpsq8xnefeu.jpg

Rafal,

A post being discussed here that has some bearing on your post.

I never noticed any increase in VAS when running with x3 23inch monitors... but I suppose I could have missed it.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have been eyeing this same monitor.

A good choice, I would say today.

Time for a mini review I have promised.

I have been using the new monitor for only three days now, but I can already say for sure I would never return to 16:9.

This is for the immersion I get in FSX, but also for the incredible improvement in working, editing and browsing.

THE SIZE AND BODY

It is just a bit taller than my former 23' 16:9 Samsung, but a lot wider. Honestly, it perfectly fits my office double desk and even my TrackIR camera sits very firmly on its top (the frame is thicker than in Samsung). The stand looks very neat. A great feature is the mount which lets you regulate the vertical position of the monitor as well as the angle. Plus instead of some hidden buttons (never liked them in my former monitors) there is a smart mini joystick in the middle bottom of the frame.

THE ULTRAWIDE FORMAT

I agree it takes time to get used to when it is you first UW (like in my case). But I needed just a few hours. With every minute the feeling was more and more positive (not that is was negative for a second). In the sim the immersion is incredible. I feel like being in the cockpit. My eyes can see so much more without even turning my head left and right. Takeoff and approach are much easier and safer. And the scenery around looks like a new virtual world. I started seeing details never seen before at airports I could swear I knew like the back of my hand. I read somewhere there is a fisheye-like side effect on both side edges. Well, I noticed it only on the second day and only looking at some AI aircraft parked at the terminal. They seem a little bit stretched. But, first, I have to take a close look at them (which I normally don't do) and, second, I do not notice it on the cockpit itself, clouds, taxiways or runways. So it is a marginal thing for me.

Let me add I use my monitor not just for simming, but also for writing and editing, mostly in Word and PDF. Opening two or three (four could be possible too, although of a bit hardcore width) documents at the same time makes my work sooooo much easier. I also photograph a lot and do a lot of photo editting. Now that is a heck of comfort. Not to mention my flightplan preparation: PFPX, flightplan form and charts open at the same time! Awesome...

THE RESOLUTION

This is native 2560x1080. I could go UHD but I didn't for three reasons: price, hardware requirements, fonts/icons/letter size. And I must say, after being a bit anxious about the result, I am more than glad I decided for this resolution. I personally see no pixels ar any image quality decrease (mind though my eyes are 45 years old). And all fonts, icons, menus and letters are as big and readable and they used to be. Fantastic! Another advantage is I have noticed no performance drop while in the sim.

THE BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST

I may be biased here, as my Samsung was around five years old. But when I initially connected this ne monitor aside my older one my wife looked at them and asked me: 'How could you work on such a monitor at all?'. The difference was night and day, the brightness, the contrast, the colours. I still stare at my new 21:9 wallpaper (An airbus A320 at EDDM) and can't stop enjoying how great it looks. Did I say my eyes are less tired now?

THE CONNECTION

There is no standard DVI connection which made me scared a bit in the beginning, as this is how my aging GTX 560Ti was connected to Samsung. Fortunately (which I have never noticed before, lol) the card has a mini-HDMI socket. So I connected it via a mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable (thank you, Hans) and voila! In future, when I change my PC (video card included), I will use HDMI-HDMI or even better the DP-IN (higher refresh, I guess).

THE SEAT BELT SIGN

This one is funny. Each time you turn the monitor off or on, it will play a sound very similar to the seat belt sign on a plane (of course you may switch it off if you want). I enjoy it like a little boy and can't stop wondering how the manufacturers knew a plane geek is going to use this monitor! :dance:

I can wholeheartedly recommend this 34" 21:9 2560x1080 LG 34UM68-P monitor to everyone who wants to make using applications so much easier and enjoy the sim like new (I have this feeling all the time).

It comes in perfect balance between quality and price. I can give it ten stars per ten. The truth is only three days have passed since I started usuing it, but this is exactly how I feel.

On this occasion big big thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

Now back to my huuuuge A320 cockpit for another flight.

Great review, enjoyed reading it.  Welcome to the 'dark side', lol.

Like you found out...I'm never NOT going to have this aspect ratio.  Nope...and now it feels so natural.   If you add a 5.1 sound system to the 'view'...take a concert, jazz, classical off of YouTube...sit back...and feel, you are in the audience.   The aspect ratio of this class of monitor,...is amazing.  You are in the scene...

Happy flying and editing,

Mitch'er

Thank you, Mitch, same to you!

I forgot to mention my new ultrawide somehow made me find another sim-related hobby.

Watching airport panoramas from the control towers. :smile:

2016-12-11_15-10-19-76_zpsv6xwocl8.jpg

Have an ultracool week, everyone!

Thank you, Mitch, same to you!

I forgot to mention my new ultrawide somehow made me find another sim-related hobby.

Watching airport panoramas from the control towers. :smile:

2016-12-11_15-10-19-76_zpsv6xwocl8.jpg

Have an ultracool week, everyone!

Oh...yeah..you definitely, have been 21:9 'assimilated'.   Now you need to go out and get a 5.1 surround sound system for that bad boy...place yourself at a rock concert, a recital hall....watch Amadeus, .....in the full 21:9 that it was shot at...no compression or squeezing.   You'll definitely be done for....LOLOLOLOL!   Enjoy!

Now you need to go out and get a 5.1 surround sound system for that bad boy

A nice idea, Mitch, though for music and films I would rather use my wife's UHD 50" TV. :Tounge:

A nice idea, Mitch, though for music and films I would rather use my wife's UHD 50" TV. :Tounge:

I dunno...I have one too...but it's nice to have the Man Cave fully equipped, LOL

Cheers,

it's nice to have the Man Cave fully equipped

True, true. :spiteful: