•  

In Loving Memory Of

Tom Allensworth,
Founder of AVSIM Online

AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.

Photo

Some interesting info from the 2017 ORBX Roadmap

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 DJJose

DJJose

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

It's almost certainly got to be DTG Flight Simulator. Their tech simply won't port to X-Plane in its current state (The scenery system is completely different and won't work with their landclass approach). I don't think AeroflyFS is mature enough.

I'll bite my tongue if I'm wrong though ;-)

You could be right!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#17 bonchie

bonchie

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

It's almost certainly got to be DTG Flight Simulator. Their tech simply won't port to X-Plane in its current state (The scenery system is completely different and won't work with their landclass approach). I don't think AeroflyFS is mature enough.

I'll bite my tongue if I'm wrong though ;-)

The starting letter of each project is a dead giveaway. Noway is that an accident. 

So starting biting your tongue :)

#18 tonywob

tonywob

X-Plane Forum Moderator

• 3,044 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

I could see them perhaps porting airports, but I've worked too long with the scenery system in X-Plane to know that doing their regions with landclass tiles and textures in X-Plane is very difficult to do (it isn't impossible, but you'd have to have a huge pile of time and research behind it). It's very interesting and great we'll all be using 64-bit sims soon enough (What will we have to moan about then ;-))

'

Tony

Developer of World2XPlane and pro sceneries

#19 HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty

Wing Commander HumptyDumpty

• Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Everyone got it wrong it's for Flightgear it's 64 bit remember

Zulfiqar

Rocket 3 Roadster

Powered By : DCS  -  XPlane :    Mig21 - Su-27 - F-15 - A10 - Mi-8 - UH1- L-39 - F-86- K4 - D9 - P51D - Lf Mk IX

#20 simmerhead

simmerhead

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

I could see them perhaps porting airports, but I've worked too long with the scenery system in X-Plane to know that doing their regions with landclass tiles and textures in X-Plane is very difficult to do (it isn't impossible, but you'd have to have a huge pile of time and research behind it). It's very interesting and great we'll all be using 64-bit sims soon enough (What will we have to moan about then ;-))

'

The quest for ultra realism and FPS will never go away...

http://simmerhead.wordpress.com || https://twitter.com/#!/simmerhead

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z || Intel i7 2700K@4,5GHz + Corsair Hydro H100 || 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz || ASUS GTX 970 STRIX || 4 x Intel 535 480GB SSD

#21 J van E

J van E

Member - 8,000+

• Donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

The starting letter of each project is a dead giveaway. Noway is that an accident.

So starting biting your tongue :)

Just wanted to post the same. No guessing needed.

With regards,

Jeroen

#22 BladderBoy

BladderBoy

• Donor
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

I look forward to seeing what Dovetail brings to market, but I will probably stick with P3D when/if it goes 64-bit, assuming REX, ASN and A2A plan on supporting. I'll be happy to pay the few bucks to upgrade my orbx library, as JV has previously discussed.

I am not an X-Plane user, but I agree that Orbx photoreal treatments would be an amazing upgrade to the sim - but something like FTX Global, with roads crossing baked buildings, would be a serious step back backwards. It's downright ugly. But it seems they do have something to offer.

But in the end, I am open to anything new. I'll eventually move to whatever platform provides the deepest overall experience. For my dollar, it's P3D at the moment.

#23 france89

france89

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

They could also make a new regional autogen package.

Francesco Tommaso Savino

#24 MarkW

MarkW

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

64 bit P3D.  YES!  

Mark Wolpert    CYYZ      ca.png

My Simhttps://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000
      EC9g33j.jpg?1

#25 bonchie

bonchie

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

I look forward to seeing what Dovetail brings to market, but I will probably stick with P3D when/if it goes 64-bit, assuming REX, ASN and A2A plan on supporting. I'll be happy to pay the few bucks to upgrade my orbx library, as JV has previously discussed.

I am not an X-Plane user, but I agree that Orbx photoreal treatments would be an amazing upgrade to the sim - but something like FTX Global, with roads crossing baked buildings, would be a serious step back backwards. It's downright ugly. But it seems they do have something to offer.

But in the end, I am open to anything new. I'll eventually move to whatever platform provides the deepest overall experience. For my dollar, it's P3D at the moment.

Given Orbx's penchant for quality and innovation (JV being a jerk aside), does anyone really think their plan is to simply port over FTX Global with baked buildings and roads? Come on. 

Whatever they have planned is going to improve on XP, not be a step back. They are way too much into the business side of things to do something that isn't going to be popular. 

#26 theskyisthelimit

theskyisthelimit

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

What are the odds they will charge for 64bit versions of the same addon that you already have for p3d that is 32bit currently (upgrade charge).. i was contemplating buying some more addons while their sale is on, but if i'm about to have to invest in new versions at a new cost then i'm not so sure.. all this assuming there is truth to 64bit p3d + orbx :)

Otherwise I'm also hoping for aerofly/xp11 possibilities.

P3D Settings (GEX, UTX, Vector, FTX, REX)

P3D v3.3 VR thread; 4930k hex vs 6700k thread

Z170-a | SL Delid 6700k 4.7 1.402-0.008LLC6(vcore=1.44) | F4-3200C15D-16GVK @1.40 at 3466 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v3.4.14 and Aerofly FS2 (evo SSD)/XP10(std sata) 

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

#27 bonchie

bonchie

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Odds? 100%. They've already said that 64bit add ons for P3D will carry a fee for previous users. Whether there's a discount or not, no one knows. 

#28 WebMaximus

WebMaximus

WebMaximus

• Members
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Sounds like 2017 will be an interesting year!

All on the list above from one of the key players within our arena plus VR which I think will start playing a more and more dominant role for many of us in a not too distant future.

To me the future of flight simulation looks better than it did in a long time!
vpa071.png

#29 finkelstein

finkelstein

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Is nobody questioning the source for this? Where is it from and does anyone have a link?

Marius Wittgenstein

#30 BladderBoy

BladderBoy

• Donor
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Given Orbx's penchant for quality and innovation (JV being a jerk aside), does anyone really think their plan is to simply port over FTX Global with baked buildings and roads? Come on. 

Whatever they have planned is going to improve on XP, not be a step back. They are way too much into the business side of things to do something that isn't going to be popular. 

No no, don't misunderstand me. I don't expect they would simply port Global. It's just not possible. I am a loyal customer and know exactly what standard they hold themselves to. If they did an "Global" type addon, it would certainly be tailor-made to the platform and bring a significant upgrade - thus justifying a heft price tag.

What are the odds they will charge for 64bit versions of the same addon that you already have for p3d that is 32bit currently (upgrade charge).. i was contemplating buying some more addons while their sale is on, but if i'm about to have to invest in new versions at a new cost then i'm not so sure.. all this assuming there is truth to 64bit p3d + orbx :)

Otherwise I'm also hoping for aerofly/xp11 possibilities.

Yes 100%. JV already stated clearly that P3D v3 was the LAST free upgrade. A "minimal" fee will be required to upgrade previously owned scenery in the future.