•  

In Loving Memory Of

Tom Allensworth,
Founder of AVSIM Online

AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.

Photo
- - - - -

FSX freeze but sound continues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Matthb89

Matthb89

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hi all, I have been having an issue with FSX for a little while now. Occasionally FSX will randomly freeze but the sound continues to play. When I say freeze I mean that the picture stops moving but the plane is still flying. You can still move the view around and the sound will dynamically change and when you press the hotkey to go outside the outside sounds work. So the picture stops working but the sim is still flying. Hope someone can help, thanks.  

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 cianpars

cianpars

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Have you made any tweaks to the fsx.cfg?  if so try deleting it and let fsx build a new one at startup.

What are your system specs?  That might give us a clue as to your problem.

Are you running vanilla FSX or do you use any addons?

What are your CPU and GPU temperatures like?

IAN

#3 Didactech

Didactech

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

I had this problem a few times in FSX off-line but it does not happen any more and the reason? Check Task Manager for 100%; if I remember correctly it was simply disc access and/or memory. Scandisk - De-frag. etc. 4 gig. Memory capacity to avoid Page file Disc caching. Ensure Indexing is off!! Good luck.

#4 Matthb89

Matthb89

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi, thanks for your replies. I run FSX in DX10. I'll make a new config, I have an i5 4690K and a GTX 660 and the temps look good.

#5 CB_Pilot

CB_Pilot

Rupert

• Donor
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

I sometimes get this too and I use Alt-Enter to switch windowed/full screen. Always brings everything back to full motion. I don't know why it happens (probably my low end PC) but this fixes it every time for my rig. Worth trying?

Best regards

Rupert

#6 Matthb89

Matthb89

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

I've tried that before but to no avail

#7 tamba765

tamba765

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Are these freezes about 8 minutes long? If so, I had this problem too. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with GPU or CPU temps. Go to your FSX config folder. Go to C/users/App Data/Roaming/Microsoft//FSX/.

Now click on FSX and find the fsx CFG file in the list you see. Open the file and create a new category like this  [JOBSCHEDULER]  Now directly under this new category type the following  AffinityMask=84   Exit the CFG file and be sure to save the changes when prompted. I use 84 since that number works with my CPU. Make sure you type the entries exactly as you see them here. I haven't had a freeze in a couple of years. I don't use FSUIPC since it was causing some freezes with my PMDG aircraft. It might have been something I was doing wrong, though. There's an AffinityMask calculator online which will help pick a value that works for your setup. Hope this helps.

Pete Locascio

#8 lownslo

lownslo

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

AffinityMask=84

AM=84 is for a core i7 with HT enabled.  The OP can try AM=14 with his core i5.

Greg

#9 ndflieger

ndflieger

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

I too, get these freezes from time to time. Usually if I'm on approach in heavy weather and I've paused the sim for a few minutes to step away from it. When I come back and un-pause the sim, the freeze happens.

I checked my fsx.cfg and I have the affinity mask setting in that file.

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"