•  

In Loving Memory Of

Tom Allensworth,
Founder of AVSIM Online

AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.

Photo
- - - - -

Experiences with Kaby Lake in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 regis9

regis9

• Donor
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Hello, there was a little bit of discussion on this in the Kaby Lake 5ghz thread, but I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone using Kaby Lake processors with windows 7 to post their experiences as they get settled in with their new processor. Are there issues or was the talk about Kaby Lake only working on windows 10 a bit overblown?

I'm looking at a CPU upgrade but don't want to do the windows 10 upgrade, so would probably go with the 6700k unless it's pretty clear that Kaby Lake does indeed work fine with windows 7.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 ryanbatcund

ryanbatcund

Member - 8,000+

• Members
  • 13,636 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I completely overlooked this issue. I was planning on keeping Win7 (I just don't like 10 I've used it many times at work).  But I was planning 7700K.  I do have a DVD rw that I would reinstall Win7 from and I think I still have a PS/2 kb.

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i5 2500K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | EVGA GTX 970 | GB P67A-UD4-B3 | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | 120GB Mushkin | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint | Seasonic X750W |

-Beta with Milviz and Realair-

#3 garrett_frank

garrett_frank

• Donor
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Who's Kathy Lake? Is she related to Ricki Lake?

Garrett Frank

#4 westman

westman

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

I completely overlooked this issue. I was planning on keeping Win7 (I just don't like 10 I've used it many times at work).  But I was planning 7700K.  I do have a DVD rw that I would reinstall Win7 from and I think I still have a PS/2 kb.

No problem with Win7, with dvd Its easy , take some time compared to Win10 usb.
Download and install the latest rollups , then no problems with win uppdates

#5 hovercrafter

hovercrafter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:12 AM

How about drivers for the motherboard? The web sites I have visited for a new laptop don't list any for Kaby / Win 10. Are you saying that the Win updates will carry the driver solution even on the latest motherboards?

Gordon

#6 gboz

gboz

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

How about drivers for the motherboard? The web sites I have visited for a new laptop don't list any for Kaby / Win 10. Are you saying that the Win updates will carry the driver solution even on the latest motherboards?

Gordon

Just did a reinstall of Win 10 with a 6700K and let

Win 10 handle all driver installs automatically.

No ? or x in Device Manager and everything seems to be running great.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

#7 regis9

regis9

• Donor
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Who's Kathy Lake? Is she related to Ricki Lake?

Ugh, yes and they have a cousin named "Stu Pidautocorrect"...if there's a mod nearby maybe they could change the title?

#8 hovercrafter

hovercrafter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

Just did a reinstall of Win 10 with a 6700K and let

Win 10 handle all driver installs automatically.

No ? or x in Device Manager and everything seems to be running great.

gb.

Good news - thank you for the info

G