Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

Loud noise in Cold and Dark

Been searching around and I have not found the answer for it.

It happens to my PMDG 737 and 777. Even in cold and dark panel state I can hear this loud noise which I don't know what it is, the plane is completely off and dark. If I go to the sound menu in FSX and disable the Engine sound, it will go away. So what is this and is this realistic or I mess up my installation?
I made a video of it here :

Thank you
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Hi Hoang,

That appears to be the FSX sound bug which messes up the engine sounds when switching views - I believe it happens to any aircraft in FSX.  The quick fix is to press the Q button twice to reset the sounds.

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Hi Hoang,

That appears to be the FSX sound bug which messes up the engine sounds when switching views - I believe it happens to any aircraft in FSX.  The quick fix is to press the Q button twice to reset the sounds.

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention that I already tried the "Q button" trick but it didn't work. Thanks for your help so far.

Hoang Le.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Hoang Le,

Have you tried a few different airports to see if the sound follows you?

Some airport scenery (and also some TRAFFIC scenery, now that I think of it) will inject a general "airport background sound" to the sim that gets controlled via the ENGINES sound channel in FSX.

Another thing to check is whether or not you have an air conditioning cart hooked up.  You may be getting low pressure air running through the mixing plenum and into the ductwork- creating a constant background noise.

Let us know what you find out- i suspect this is probably going to be one of those, "oh yeah- THAT!" items...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

This sounds very much like something that GSX, AES or even default AI parked next to you might generate.

It could also be the default FSX fuel truck, I have found the sound file a long time ago and muted it via audacity.

EDIT: Found my old topic, the default soundfiles are in this folder:

FSX\Simobjects\GroundVehicles\FuelTruck\soundai -- there are 4 wav files.

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Hoang Le,

Have you tried a few different airports to see if the sound follows you?

Some airport scenery (and also some TRAFFIC scenery, now that I think of it) will inject a general "airport background sound" to the sim that gets controlled via the ENGINES sound channel in FSX.

Another thing to check is whether or not you have an air conditioning cart hooked up.  You may be getting low pressure air running through the mixing plenum and into the ductwork- creating a constant background noise.

Let us know what you find out- i suspect this is probably going to be one of those, "oh yeah- THAT!" items...

This sounds very much like something that GSX, AES or even default AI parked next to you might generate.

It could also be the default FSX fuel truck, I have found the sound file a long time ago and muted it via audacity.

EDIT: Found my old topic, the default soundfiles are in this folder:

FSX\Simobjects\GroundVehicles\FuelTruck\soundai -- there are 4 wav files.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all your support. I disable my AI traffic and "oh yeah!" moment when everything is silent, indeed it is the sound from the AI.

Sorry for being mistakenly related to PMDG aircraft. I only have PMDG 737 and 777 installed in my sim so I thought it is from PMDG aircraft.

Now I'm trying to solve this, any idea..? I'm using freeware AI aircrafts and has disabled default AI.

Thank you,

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Hi,
Thank you so much for all your support. I disable my AI traffic and "oh yeah!" moment when everything is silent, indeed it is the sound from the AI.
Sorry for being mistakenly related to PMDG aircraft. I only have PMDG 737 and 777 installed in my sim so I thought it is from PMDG aircraft.
Now I'm trying to solve this, any idea..? I'm using freeware AI aircrafts and has disabled default AI.
Thank you,
Hoang Le
This is a tricky one, Hoang, as the way AI sound is handled may impact your primary airplane depending on how they use the simulator sound management system. I would suggest reading up on specific AI related forums, alas, I cant easily find one here on AVSIM, but you could try playing with your sound sliders to see how the freeware AI is controlling their sound. Very often, they will "Alias" or re-use an existing planes sound, like the default 737 or A321. How loud this is, and where this is controlled, I do not know..

This is a tricky one, Hoang, as the way AI sound is handled may impact your primary airplane depending on how they use the simulator sound management system. I would suggest reading up on specific AI related forums, alas, I cant easily find one here on AVSIM, but you could try playing with your sound sliders to see how the freeware AI is controlling their sound. Very often, they will "Alias" or re-use an existing planes sound, like the default 737 or A321. How loud this is, and where this is controlled, I do not know..

I have tried looking into every AI aircraft folder and the soundai folder is empty. So it should use the sound from FSX/sound folder. I look into that and the sound is very familiar with the ai jet sound in there.

I place my aircraft into another airport without AI jets and it is very silent. So it's definitely from the AI jets.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

I have tried looking into every AI aircraft folder and the soundai folder is empty. I'm so confused now...
Thank you,
Hoang Le

Hi there. I made a mistake, AI apparently do not alias sound but use some sound files that are in the main sound folder in your P3D or FSX folder. They all begin with ai_ so you could try removing these to another folder temporarily for testing.

I am not sure if you can scale the AI sound levels.

The first file in my directory is: ai_lgjet01.wav

Hi there. I made a mistake, AI apparently do not alias sound but use some sound files that are in the main sound folder in your P3D or FSX folder. They all begin with ai_ so you could try removing these to another folder temporarily for testing.

I am not sure if you can scale the AI sound levels.

The first file in my directory is: ai_lgjet01.wav

Hi,

Thank you, yes those are the sound files. I believed that I finally found the cause and the solution to this one so I will post it here now.

The cause is my AI aircraft folders don't have the sound(soundai) folder in it, so FSX will use the sound from FSX/sound(as Wes Meyer stated above) which are very noisy.

What I have done is edit the SOUND_LOD=0 in FSX.cfg, manually add the sound to most of my AI aircrafts (almost 300 of them), move all the AI sounds in FSX/sound to separate folder(to temporary get rid of it, in case need it later).

Now the weird noise is gone and my AI airplanes have their own sound, kinda more realistic.

Cheers!

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Hoang Le,

Hey!  Glad you solved it!

No worries thinking it might be the NGX.  We appreciate you asking and everyone having a chance to learn. 

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com