Sign in to follow this  
partlett

VAS sudden unexpected behaviour

Up front I'm fully aware of what contributes to VAS usage in P3D v3. and for all the planes I fly regularly with all the addons, VAS has never been an issue.

However today something strange has manifested, I launched P3D and loaded a plane at airport, I've done nothing in the sim, my VAT usage started at 2.38 where I would have expected it to be but it continued to climb until out of memory about 20 mins later and I have done nothing in the sim but watch.

Has anyone any idea whats going on?

The only thing that has changed from one day to the next in the sim, was an auto upgrade from ORBX FTX Global Vectors and auto upgrade Chase Plane.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hello Partlett

Welcome to the Avsim forums

This same thing happened to me the other day whilst sat on the runway in the excellent FSLabs Airbus A320 ....

It turned out to be the NVidia driver I was using that was leaking memory badly

NVidia have just released a new driver therefore I recommend updating to this new one

Good luck

Cheers

Paul

Hello Partlett

Welcome to the Avsim forums

This same thing happened to me the other day whilst sat on the runway in the excellent FSLabs Airbus A320 ....

It turned out to be the NVidia driver I was using that was leaking memory badly

NVidia have just released a new driver therefore I recommend updating to this new one

Good luck

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul

I hope its this simple I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Mick

Paul

Problem still persists after Nvidia upgrade.

Really cannot fathom where or why all of a sudden this memory leak has started.

I've only got back into simming after giving up on it 7 years ago, it's all coming back just how frustrating it is continually dealing with technical and compatibility issues.

Thanks for your help

Mick

Thanks Paul

I hope its this simple I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Mick

So far, the consensus seems to be that all of the 378.xx drivers, including the latest (378.66, as of this writing), are causing significant memory leaks in P3D.  Going back to 376.33 or perhaps even earlier seems to be the trick right now.

See discussion in this related thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/503393-747-v3-steady-vas-increase-due-to-nvidia-drivers-not-747/

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Mick

I echo what Bob has just said

I am at present testing the latest driver and,for me, it seems to be behaving itself but without a doubt the 376.33 is solid as a rock ...

The only pain is ... if you are on Windows 10 it's a devil stopping the operating system from upgrading to a newer driver!!!!

Paul

if you are on Windows 10 it's a devil stopping the operating system from upgrading to a newer driver!!!!

You might try this...np here after making the described setting:  http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Edit: not sure if the change above was, on its own, responsible for stopping the automatic driver updates.  I have also edited the registry, adding two keys (this is for WIn10 Home, unsure if it applies or works in Pro/Enterprise):

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

and in both keys I added a DWORD (32-bit) value: ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate and set its value to 1

The second key in WOW6432Node is unnecessary for those few running 32-bit Win10

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you all for your advice, the older nvidia driver has not stopped the memory leak.

Chaseplane notified me today that their current build is not compatible with the latest version of P3D (which I'm using) so I'm going to run some VAS tests minus Chaseplane.

Fingers crossed this is the culprit.

Thanks

Mick

Sneaky, Microsoft updated my nVidia driver the other day and I suddenly had huge VAS usage.  I didn't realize the GPU driver was updated.  I found a good web article on how to prevent windows 10 from automatically updating using the "Local Group Policy Editor."  Look about half way down the page:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Thank you all for your advice, the older nvidia driver has not stopped the memory leak.

Chaseplane notified me today that their current build is not compatible with the latest version of P3D (which I'm using) so I'm going to run some VAS tests minus Chaseplane.

Fingers crossed this is the culprit.

Thanks

Mick

No VAS leak here with Chase Plane. Using 376.33 drivers.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No VAS leak here with Chase Plane. Using 376.33 drivers.

Hello Julian

Your right Chase Plane turns out not to be the source of my VAS leak tested this morning I'm befuddled and bemused and running out of ideas.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and do an incremental re-install, enthusiasm is starting to wain.

Cheers

Mick 

Drivers or not i am pretty sure i have a VAS leak with HT on or because i switch between full screen and window mode a couple of times.

This HT ON /OFF was never issued was it?

David gave me a great smooth spot with AM116 for the FSLA320. Works much better than AM14 and HT OFF but i have VAS increased. Got an OOM into EKCH but with my normal settings.

3.4.9.18400/373.06 SLI

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Something has not been right for the last few days after my GPU driver was unknowingly updated.  I switched back to nVidia driver 376.33 but I am still consuming large amounts of VAS.

My sim was running incredibly smoothly before the driver update and I am wondering if I am adding to the problem by setting nVIdia inspector Frame Rate Limiter to ~30.5 fps and running unlimited in the sim.  The frames do run at ~30 fps when the limiter is set but there may be issues with that.

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Sneaky, Microsoft updated my nVidia driver the other day and I suddenly had huge VAS usage.  I didn't realize the GPU driver was updated.  I found a good web article on how to prevent windows 10 from automatically updating using the "Local Group Policy Editor."  Look about half way down the page:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Robert

That group policy edit only applies to Pro/Enterprise editions of Win 10, and the article says it stopped working after the Anniversary Edition update.  BTW, your sig says you're running Win 10 "Ultimate"...they ain't no such thang!  Pro, maybe?

Regards

I'm wondering if I'm seeing this as well.  I just had a flight OOM in the NGX over the middle of the caribbean, near Grand Turk.  I lowered settings to halfway on most sliders and VAS didn't adjust one tiny bit.  I'm somewhat baffled by this, as there's really nothing out there aside from a few small islands, and I've *never* seen zero impact from lowering sliders.  FSUIPC reported about 150000 free, I lowered sliders all to halfway or less (at least the scenery sliders including density and range, as well as shadows and such)

-stefan