Sign in to follow this  
bantha121

Expansion Models

Do y'all know one way or the other if there are plans to make expansion models for the QOTSII? The two main ones I'd love to see are the 747-400LCF and (obviously) the 747-8i/F.

I should think the 747-800i will be sold as a new sim product rather than as an 'expansion' as far as pricing goes, simply because it is quite different in many ways to a 400 variant, and will therefore require a good deal more work than would be the case with variants of the 400, although to be fair, that in itself is a fair bit of work, so all credit to PMDG for having thrown so many of them in a well-priced package.

With PMDG's penchant for getting things right, and simmers expecting it to be so on account of the likes of their previous products and those of other high end developers, which are setting the bar quite high for study sim aeroplanes these days, it will likely involve a good deal of work on PMDG's part to accurately simulate the differences between the 400 and the 800, which make the differences between the various 400 variants pale in comparison.

After all, to name but a few of those differences, you've got...

A different engine - and not even the same as the variant of that engine which is on the 787 - since it had to be modified in diameter to fit the 747's wing clearance and modified in the power connections it receives backwardly in terms of technology, because it was originally designed for the 787's more modern auxilliary power systems, whereas the 747-800 uses more traditional APU equipment. Then you've got a heavily redesigned fuel system, which includes tankage capacity in the rear stabilisers (and Boeing had to do a lot of fancy work on that in order to iron out aerodynamic problems with it, to the extent that it was initially disabled on the first 800s to roll off the production line, and which PMDG would presumably also have to emulate if they want to do early and late variants, since the range is about 400 miles less on variants without the rear stabiliser tanks operating, and it affects the flight characteristics too of course). Then it also has a completely redesigned wing, which is not only longer in span, but also deeper in cross section, not to mention being made from different materials, so the wing flex will be different too, as indeed will the flight characteristics, particularly at lower speeds. There are other airframe changes too beyond it being a mere fuselage stretch, for example, the landing gear doors had to undergo several changes in order to prevent aerodynamic interference with the inboard control surfaces. Not immediately obvious when you see one, but the windows are bigger on the 800 variant too. Then you've got a revised flight deck, with the attendant revisions to the avionics and systems that go with such changes, and some of those are going to present real challenges for the designers of the panels and gauges. Not forgetting of course that it sounds different too, being quieter than a 400 variant, so all the engine noises, cockpit sounds etc will also have to be redone for an accurate simulation of the 800.

Beyond all that, although it is apparently only a three-day conversion course for pilots of the 400 to be able to fly the 800, it is different enough to have been given a revised classification for ATC and airports, the 400 variant being designated an E class aircraft, whereas the 800, like the A380, is designated F, so it might not even feasibly fly to some of the airports your simulated 400 goes to because of those differences. That classification change also has a bearing on things such as ground handling, suitable airbridge docking, airport planning for suitable taxiways and evacuation training etc is concerned. So you're looking at a completely different manual having to be produced too.

In other words, it's no five minute job to tweak up their 400 into an 800 for us, so don't be surprised if PMDG charge a suitable amount for it when you consider the work they'll be doing to create such a thing accurately.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guys - we're not doing an -800.

We haven't done any imaginary aircraft. I don't think we're going to start any time soon.

• Upvote 4

Kyle Rodgers

We haven't done any imaginary aircraft. I don't think we're going to start any time soon.

Ohhh, many of the members will disappoint now;)

Daniel Reber

So we will have to settle with the -8?

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Aah, too busy making the Boeing 707 and DC-8 then? (crosses fingers) :smile:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

no such thing as the -800i or -800F. Its the -8i and -8F. Dont confuse it with the NGX variants

I also belive that 747-400 and -8i and f will be seperate products because -8 is more advanced than 400,like Alan mentoned.We will have a 400 priced at 135$ and -8 at 135$ as seperate product.It would be bad if the -8 costs 135$ and need 400 to run it would be like +200 dollars.Alans theory currently makes sense.

I don't think PMDG plans to do the LCF - I sense they will only develop aircraft where they have ready access to real data on a the aircraft, PMDG team passion for the aircraft, and a solid business case of projected sales that make the effort worthwhile. The LCF is a unique aircraft and would probably fail the "sales potential" issue - and while I purchased the LCF expansion for the old Queen, I don't hold much hope for this aircraft with the V3 lineup.

Scott Robinson

The variant I'd really love is the LCF; they did it for the previous 747 and released it as a paid expansion, so it shouldn't be particularly hard to do it for QOTSII. Here's a video of the previous version

Uhm...

How did you come to that conclusion?

The 'old' 747 is quite different from the new QotS. It's not 'just like' porting over... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Well, the -8 is currently listed as an expansion to the -400 base packege in the Operations Center. I don't see it being a seperate product.