Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Cache Directory Error?

Guest lkhsu

I got some problem with FS9 now. For some reason, during my flight from KBOI to KDFW. This error popup several times, then FS9 crash. It said "Cache Directory Error. xxxxxxxxx cached files missing, please restart FS9" xxxxxxxxx is the file name with the path. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.lkhsu

This can happen on either partial installs where you did not install all of FS9's scenery, or if you've installed scenery and have mistakenly chosen the "cache this scenery" option. "Cache this Scenery" should only be used for scenery loaded from CD--a situation that should only appear on a partial install. The cache option was meant to move oft used scenery from slower CD's to the faster hard drive and was commonly used in the days of FS2000 when we didn't have the HD space we have today.You can tell if you have scenery being cached by looking at your cache folder. If there's data in it, then you have scenery somewhere being cached. However, sometimes even in the absence of data you may have had the cache option checked.If you did not do a partial install, then likely you chose the cache this scenery option on some add on scenery you installed. You can find out which scenery by opening up the scenery.cfg in Notepad. Look for any line starting with "Remote=" that has any data after the "equals". That line will point to scenery you've cached. If that scenery resides on your hard drive, you want to turn the caching off. One way to do that is to simply cut the data after "Remote=" and paste it to the line in the same section that says "Local=". Another is by going into the scenery.cfg menu and deselecting the cache option.Hope this helps,-JohnEdit: Here's a link which discusses why the cache option was added to MSFS:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...performance.asp

Guest lkhsu

I check, every line is fine. However, I try to use default 737-400 from KBOI to KDFW, no crash. But if I use PMDG 737-700, it crash during the flight. I check their fourm, they said nothing wrong about their product. I have no idea now.

Guest Jeffers

HiI've done a lot of work tring to sort this one out and I am convinced it is aircraft related. Every time I get the error it is with either the PSS Dash8 or the PSS Airbus. I no longer use either of these aircraft and have not had a problem since. I did post to the PSS support forum but received no replies.Geoff