Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

TIP: Using various multi-controller setups in FSX

If you are like me, and have a number of external controllers attached to your PC, of which you only use a subset when flying a specific type of aircraft, you may run into trouble when FS assigns (by default) the same axis-function to several external axis (because of "jittering", they may interfere which each other).Examples: If you change from a stick to a yoke, or if you use different assignments for your throttle quadrant axis for different types of aircraft.Now, you can solve that by changing the axis definition manually each time in the FSX Options-Controls menu, but you easily get fedup doing that :-)The same trick I use for FS9, also applies to FSX; just a bit different, since FSX no longer saves the controller settings in the FS9.cfg file, but in a seperate (XML) file.Allthough FSX has a new function to dynamically load/save a configuration, this ONLY applies to the Display Settings (guess why ...LOL) but NOT to the controller/keyboard settings.Surely there will be more solutions, but here's what I do Note: you can edit .cfg and .xml files simple with Notepad.Step-1:Connect all your controllers to your PC (gameport and/or USB), startup FSX and let FSX detect them (FSX will assign default axis/buttons according to the type of controller).Exit FSX.Step-2:In Windows Explorer, go to folder "..Documents And Settings'username'MicrosoftFSX and copy the file "fsx.cfg" to the main FSX installation folder (default: "...Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X"; rename this file to e.g. "FSX-Config1.cfg".Note: the first folder maybe ReadOnly/Hidden, so you mave have to set Windows Explorer to display ReadOnly/Hidden folders.Step-3:On your desktop, make a copy of the FSX shortcut and rename it to e.g. "FSX-Config1".Change the properties of this new shortcut (right mouse-click), and add to the 'target' path: /CFG:FSX-Config1.cfgSo it reads: "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator Xfsx.exe" /CFG:FSX-Config1.cfgStep-4:Startup FSX via the new shortcut, goto to the menu Options/Controls and change all your controller axis/buttons/keys for your first setup.Exit FSX.FSX has now updated the new FSX-Config1.cfg file instead of the default FSX.cfg file, and all controller setup changes are stored in a file "Standard.xml" in folder "..Documents And Settings'username'MicrosoftFSXControls.If you open this Standard.xml, you will see pieces of code like Logitech WingMan Force USB{83B6EF70-9CEC-11DA-8001-444553540000}XAxis0AXIS_AILERONS_SET1271 ........The equivalent definition in the FS9.cfg file would be:[JOYSTICK_MAIN {83B6EF70-9CEC-11DA-8001-444553540000}]AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SETAXIS_SCALE_00=127AXIS_NULL_00=1Step-5:In folder "..Documents And Settings'username'MicrosoftFSXControls, rename file "Standard.xml" to e.g. "FSX-Config1.xml"Step-6:In folder "...Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X", open file "FSX-Config1.cfg" and search for the lineControls_Current=Standardand change it to Controls_Current=FSX-Config1That's it.By repeating this process, you can define as many setups as you like.By starting FSX via the right shortcut, you determine which FSX.....cfg is used, and via the Controls_Current= definition in it, which controller/keyboard setup is loaded.Doing the above is at your own risk of course, but if done properly, it will work OKCheers, Rob Barendregt

Hi BobExellent solution you come up with here.This makes a lot of possibilities, i.e. setting up a desktop icon for a big ressource hugging 747, and in the custom FSX.cfg file freeing up ressources by reducing the scenery complexity for aircratf systems use. The possibilities are big.It just leaves me with one little problem:I want to set up my default VC view in every plane (one desktop shortcut for every plane) so it fits my taste.In the 'Aircraft.cfg' file I can set up VC default distance (fore/back, up/down and left/right) from the CG point. BUT I can't set the viewing direction in this file - or can I??. As far as I can see these values are set in the Camera.cfg in the 'PbhAdjust' section under VC. But changes made here influeces all my planes!!So every time I start a plane or 'Reset the view' I always end up looking too high above the insrument Panel, I then have to pan the view down every time. This is also the problem every time I have been looking to other directions - Reset View - Pan down.My big question: Is there a way to set up several camera.cfg's, or is there other places you can set the Viewing angles in VC so it anly influences one plane at a time??RegardsHenrik KorningBGGH

How do you get this to work?I made the cfg files and edited them, but when I try it as soon as I modify any controls it changes it back to 'Standard'[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=Heloturns back to[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardDo you have to make all the config settings and never ever alter any of them after making the cfg file?Are there specific locations where each file should be?I have the Helo.cfg in the FSX folder, and helo.xml in the doc and settings/fsx/controls folder.Any suggestions?

Wauw... that's an old one :-)SO what you state is that in Helo.cfg, the lineControls_Current=Heloin changed inControls_Current=Standard????If so:This means that FSX cannot find the file Helo.xml, so it reverts back to the Standard.xml defintions and changes that file.Either because are not using the right folder for Helo.xml (see 4. of the original post) or the registry settings of FSX have been corrupted.Because any controls modification from the FSX menu should be done in Helo.xml from now on.Note: also check that your Helo.xml isn't read-only; however, if it is, that would only mean that your run-time controls modification isn't saved, NOT that the helo.cfg changes.Try this:- With a .cfg file that has Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=Standardin it, startup FSX, change a control key/button or axis, and close FSX.- Now, do a full file search for the file Default.xml, and look in which folder a Default.xml has the same modification date/time as this exiting of FSX. Because that's where your Helo.xml should be.Rob

>My big question: Is there a way to set up several>camera.cfg's, or is there other places you can set the Viewing>angles in VC so it anly influences one plane at a time??Henrik,You can add custom camera information to each aircraft's aircraft.cfg file quite easily.Any such camera definition will replace one of the same named "defaults" in the global camera.cfg, or you can create entirely new camera views!FSX is darn near infinitely customizable, you just have to apply a bit of effort... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jshyluk

I believe that with FSX, you can't have too many controllers. This is a really nice tip!Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Does anyone here know why you start with all your devices connected? In addition, what do the second, third, etc configurations start with.I tried to contact the originator but he did not answer my e-mail.Thanksfb

I think the point is that windows/fsx recognize a controller by its name and usb port. when a new controller is detected that isn't already in the controls config file (the standard.xml within %appdata%), it looks by controller name in the default standard.xml file located in the main flight simulator x folder. If it finds a match, it adds the controller with the settings found. If there is not a match, it will use the "generic" settings. So the first thing you might consider doing is editing the default standard.xml file to suit your baseline configuration. That way if you move your controller to a different usb, and the data gets reloaded, you get your edited settings and not the default.After that you can try creating different config standard.xml files with unique names, and also unique fsx.cfg files that refer to these, and the /CFG: switch in the shortcut.Just remember that normally there are at least two different standard.xml files for fsx: one with the default settings and one for each user with settings changed after using the controls assignments menu in fsx.scott s..

I think I'm still confused. If you plug in all your devices and let FSX setup an all-in-one configuration with default settings then what does this give you? I understand that you will have this default setup after you follow the steps in the original post.However, what happens next. Suppose I want a helicopter configuration. Do I unplug all the devices except those that I want for that helicopter.What I'm trying to do is have a setup where the devices do not interact with each other causing erratic behavior in FSX. I have a yoke and a GoFlight throttle body. I use these devices for regular airline flight. I also have a Thrustmaster joystick with a different throttle. But, I use my GoFlight pedels for all types of aircraft. How do I get a setup that prevents interaction between devices if all of them are connected to my system. This is the part I don't understand.Thanksfb

Guest jprintz

>>Any such camera definition will replace one of the same named>"defaults" in the global camera.cfg, or you can create>entirely new camera views!>Hi. Have you actually gotten a custom camera to *replace* one of those default cameras? Has anybody else? I can supplement the default cameras easily, but if I want, say, a custom default VC view for only 1 particular aircraft, how do I go about doing that? I've looked in the SDK's and done plenty of tinkering... different combos of GUID's, titles, camera #'s, etc., and I still can't get my custom VC view to replace the cameras.cfg default.

If you are the "Frank" that Emailed me a week ago: I replied to you on 25 Nov but you obviously missed that.Although it's hard for me to grasp what you don't understand :-) in my original post, I'll try again.NO, you don't disconnect devices each time you want to fly with a different set of controls.You just startup FSX with a different configuration file, where each configuration file refers (via the Controls_Current= line) to a different controls file you created in Step-4, by deleting unwanted axis assignments via the Options-Controls menu.Rob

Rob,I did not receive a response. I have no clue why but thank you for getting back to me - I appreciate it.Now, this clears up the confusion problem with regard to axis and button configurations. You start with a fully configured default setup and move from there by turning on and off the functions of the various devices.There is an assumption here that you can turn off all of the axis assignments and remove any key/button assignments and for all practical purposes the device is invisible to the system - is this correct? I ask this because technically I have two aircraft control devices (stick and yoke) and two throttle bodies (1 multi-engine GoFlight and 1 Thrustmaster device for helicopters and fighters). Right now, these devices interfer with each other when plugged into the system at the same time.Thanks again for your assistance.Frank

Hi Frank,Yes, you get it.For each configuration, you just start with the most full one with all the axis assigned (and yes, there are conflicting axis there).And that's exactly what you have to solve in each configuration.And you have de-assigned all the axis from a certain device in a certain configuration, FS doesn't "see" it anymore.Now, the reason for NOT physically disconnecting any controller you have (and start out with the full set):When Windows finds a controller, it assigns some criptic id to it.This Id is dependent on the device itself, but ALSO on the USB port it's connected to.Now, suppose you have made a good controller profile (by removing some axis in a configuration, or re-assign them).If you now disconnect a controller, and then re-connect it again on another USB port, FS sees it (because it gets a different Id) a NEW controller again and assigns the default configuration for that controller again. Hence, you have the problem back.This way you can make any configuration setups you like.In fact, in each profile you can assign ANY axis of ANY controller, in ANY combination you like. The only thing you have to be aware of, is that (over all connected controllers), one FS axis function is assigned to only one controller axis.Rob