Sign in to follow this  
tonyfb

Comply with SID

I filed a Flight Plan from Avalon (VIC) to Canberra (ACT) via LLOYD, ML and thence via DOSEL. I was given my airways clearance on departure R/W 18, to track via SID. This turned me left after takeoff and intercepted the 027 ML VOR inbound, passing abeam LLOYD by about 8NM to the east. At about 20 DME north of ML on track to DOSEL, I was advised to take up a heading of 225 to regain track and advise when I could continue with my own navigation. When I did not comply, the controller got quite indignant! I assume that by complying with the AV SID and not tracking initially via LLOYD, the program lost track of me. Is there any way to comply with the SID and not confuse the program or, should I only follow the SID till I am on an intercept track to LLOYD and then track via LLOYD to ML?

Your description points me to several problems:You filed waypoints of LLOYD and ML. These become flyover waypoints. If LLOYD was within thirty miles of departure, you got an as filed clearance which means no vectors and you are expected to navigate on your own turning in the general direction to LLORD and then fly over it. (If outside of 30 nm, you'd get vectors to line you up to get you to LLOYD unless you requested a flex-DP so you can navigate the departure by your SID.) If as you stated you only got within 8 nm of LLOYD you did not get a flyover credit and RC would turn you back and give you vectors until you flew over it within two (low altitude) or five (high altitude) nm of it. From there it went downhill. The immediate corrective action would be to go to the extended menu (9) and request a direct-to the next waypoint (from the list) to skip the necessity of flying over LLOYD.Search the manual for SIDs and STARs to get to the procedures required to use them with RC including various options. Remember that you are expected to fly as directed by ATC and if you are using an FMC or GPS that their procedure database must match what you filed with RC ATC.

Thanks Ron. Quite correct. I re-flew but this time continued tracking 342 after take-off, complying with the SID and then continued until I intercepted the 357 track to LLOYD instead of turning early to intercept the 027 track direct to ML. RC was happy! Thanks for the tip on the #9 key. Great program and puts realistic demands on ones flying.Cheers

Thanks Ron. Quite correct. I re-flew but this time continued tracking 342 after take-off, complying with the SID and then continued until I intercepted the 357 track to LLOYD instead of turning early to intercept the 027 track direct to ML. RC was happy! Thanks for the tip on the #9 key. Great program and puts realistic demands on ones flying. Cheers
Why sometimes, I could find this #9 key in the menu to skip the waypoint, sometimes I could not find it.

The menu space is fixed. If for some reason there are too many options, the highest I think may not show. It could be harmless in most cases to hit 9 anyway to see if an extended menu comes up. An extended menu is not necessarily present in all phases. Was FlyDirect on the main menu at this time?

Why sometimes, I could find this #9 key in the menu to skip the waypoint, sometimes I could not find it.

The menu space is fixed. If for some reason there are too many options, the highest I think may not show. It could be harmless in most cases to hit 9 anyway to see if an extended menu comes up. An extended menu is not necessarily present in all phases. Was FlyDirect on the main menu at this time?
Is it possibly because the waypoint that I was trying to delete was a SID waypoint, so I can not delete it? or I can delete both SID (waypoint < 30NM) and waypoint beyond 30NM?

RC4 does not know whether or not you are deleting a waypoint that is part of a SID or not as far as treating it specially. All are created equal.If the problem comes up again, make a log as described in the pinned topic at the top of this forum, zip it up and attach it to an e-mail to jd as described.You should be seeing a menu as described on page 219 of the RC 4.3 menu.

Is it possibly because the waypoint that I was trying to delete was a SID waypoint, so I can not delete it? or I can delete both SID (waypoint < 30NM) and waypoint beyond 30NM?

RC4 does not know whether or not you are deleting a waypoint that is part of a SID or not as far as treating it specially. All are created equal.If the problem comes up again, make a log as described in the pinned topic at the top of this forum, zip it up and attach it to an e-mail to jd as described.You should be seeing a menu as described on page 219 of the RC 4.3 menu.
Thanks you very much for your advice Ronzie...:) appreciated.

Thanks you very much for your advice Ronzie...:) appreciated.
Hi.. I am back again with more question.. After I have tried to play around with RC4 for several times, I found out that the menu Dir Ckpt (Direct Checkpoint), only appear after ATC told us to contact ATC center. So before that, such as when we are still in Dep and App, the Dir Ckpt is not available. So we can not perform skipping waypoint before we contact center. Is it correct? I have created a log file. Where should I upload the files?

I have not flown RC4 for quite a while so I'll have to let another respond. I recall using it in RC4 on a departure before I think being passed on to center where the route took a ninety degree turn and cutting the corner on the inside as required took me outside the credit range of 2 nm.See the pinned topic at the head of this forum "How to send me a log . . ." for instructions.

Hi.. I am back again with more question.. After I have tried to play around with RC4 for several times, I found out that the menu Dir Ckpt (Direct Checkpoint), only appear after ATC told us to contact ATC center. So before that, such as when we are still in Dep and App, the Dir Ckpt is not available. So we can not perform skipping waypoint before we contact center. Is it correct? I have created a log file. Where should I upload the files?