Sign in to follow this  
Guest Timbo

Flying heavies with ATC

Guest Timbo

Now with the PSS-744 patch out, I've taken the queen of the skies back into the air. This will be the first time to fly it in FS2002. Now my question is when flying IFR using high altitude airways with ATC, how do you fly your own course? When I fly off of an FMC, the ATC constantly tells me to change my course or descend before the FMC says to. When I don't comply to ATC, they cancel my IFR flight. How can I fly with ATC and use my FMC?[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated June 11th!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Only way is to, after you take off and they pass you to center just say roger and change frequencies but don't contact center until you get close to your destination.David

I am doing it constantly with the 767PIC. When you don't comply with ATC instructions prepare to have your IFR status revoked, no work around exists. This often means that your FMC directed descent won't work. I often find that the ATC will have me descend too late but once they actually made me descend too soon (which is better). However you can often catch up with your VNAV by selecting high descend rates.The bottom line - you use FMC when you can but ATC directions always have higher priority. I guess this is exactly what is going on in real life so we should not complain if we care for realism. Understanding your fMC and your autopilot and being able to switch back and forth from FMC to other "hard" AP modes (like HDG or FLCH) only shows how good a pilot your are.Michael J.

Guest Lobaeux4

Here's what I do and I feel it works. I file my IFR flight plan with FS2k2, using 10,000 as my altitude, no matter how far I'm going to go, or what FL I use in my FMC. I use sids and stars in my fmc, then by dragging the flightplan in FS2k2 flight planner, I can make my own sids and stars as part of my FS2k2 flight plan. That takes a little bit of work I admit. Now, calculating when I want to be at 10,000 feet for the arrival, I'll contact ATC based on when I want to start down. So then it will come out like this "Speed bird 461, descending FL240 for 10,000" ATC will say "Roger" then take it from there. I get to plan out my descent down to 10,000. It works for me, 'course I like the idea above. Fly with VATSIM, lol.Lobaeux

Guest Martin

Reasons for not always flying online with VATSIM:-You are often alone in the area you want to fly. Depends, of course, on where you want to fly, but still, if you don't always fly at peak VATSIM times and in busy areas online, you will be pretty much alone.-Even if you're not alone online, the planes around will look a lot worse than AI planes (if you have tweaked your AI that is), and their behaviour will sometimes be even worse than that of the AI, due to the quirkiness of multiplayer, where the planes position is not updated frequently enough.-Squawkbox slows things down (depends on your system), and can make FS rather unstable.-Sometimes (bordering to "often"), newbies online behave even worse than the AI. :-roll-You can't pause when flying online, and you should make sure the flight is properly planned. This requires more planning time wise and flight plan wise if you want to fly online.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Timbo,If you are using an FMC and are planning your flight with SIDs/STARS you are not going to use the biggest selling point of the IFR ATC found in FS2K2 which is the vectoring to landing. With that in mind...just use VFR and flight following...this will give you ATC chatter and you'll be able to select your own flight levels, do step climbs and fly the departures and approaches that you have selected.Any solution that you deploy will be a compromize and not realistic...even if you stick with IFR ATC it isn't realistic.Good luck and hope that you find a compromise that is good for you!Regards and many thanks for your work,Jay

-Sometimes (bordering to "often"), newbies online behave even worse than the AI. -You can't pause when flying online, and you should make sure the flight is properly planned. This requires more planning time wise and flight plan wise if you want to fly online.[/i]I'm a newbie and I screw up or am slow in replying even though i have real world flying experience. ;-)) Oh well, we are all newbies at one time or the other. You were to.You an notify the controler that you will be away for a moment and I've never heard one say "NO." On the flight planning thing. You are right and that's what is so great about VATSIM. You actually have to think about what you are doing where you are going and know/learn/find the appropriate departures/VOR's/Approaches with transition points. That's the beauty of it ;-))) FLY VATSIM!!!Oh wait, last night, I took off out of Baltimore-Washington Airport, checked for area ATC and all I found was UNICOM. So I announced my departure and direction of flight over UNICOM and about 5 minutes later, I get a private message from Washington Departure, to "STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND RESET YOUR FLIGHT, NOOOOWWWWW!!!" Not kidding, it was worded like that exactly. I complied replied to Departure that they were not listed when I departed with an apology. Didn't get a response. Set my flight up again, asked for IFR clearance to Cleveland-Hopkins and for some reason, this "Controller" decided he had to send my clearance delivery via private message even though I was on Roger Wilco. It was a bunch of B.S. Long story short, Usually the controllers are very helpful, even to "NEWBIES" as I am, but this guy was a jerk! I'd like to report him to VATSIM. ;-)))

I make all my flights VFR, saves the stupid zig-zags ATC gives, and allows me to fly DP's as published.VFR means you can change altitudes such as in step climbs; allows you to deviate from the flight plan if you suddenly notice some neat scenery 'over there'(heck, even in a 747 I've done some sight-seeing!)Once in the air I use Flight Following if I want ATC to keep a lookout for other traffic.VFR also allows you to use STARs for approach without again being given the stupid zig-zags. VFR also allows you to set up for landing at any distance or angle you so desire(no 5 mile base legs at O'Hare with AI lined up!)I honestly can't think of a reason to fly an IFR flightplan in fs2002, I did the first few times, and thus found out the limitations of the ATC.My Q is: Why use IFR? It adds nothing to the reality, it actually reduces the 'as real as it gets' effect.

Guest Martin

I was just saying that there are reasons for not always flying on VATSIM.Of course newbies must be accepted :-), but I was mainly talking about the kind that jams the frequencies all the time with repeated requests or wants to report EVERYTHING to ATC. "Uh, this is, uh XXX999, at, uh one thousand five... uh six hundred, just taken off from runway 25R, and climbing to... uh flight level three three zero." And "request shutdown". :-lol :-rollHey, you flew in DC, you should be happy you didn't get F-16s and FBI up your tail! ;-)No, seriously, I agree with you. Some people take the "control" in ATC too seriously. Especially when it's only "virtual" too...Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Lance,>...but this guy was a jerk! I'd like to report him to VATSIM.;) ServerInfo *might* also be able to give you a fuller list of ATC *if* there is a glitch with the list in SB.>..this "Controller" decided he had to send my clearance delivery via private message even though I was on Roger Wilco