Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex_m

RC won't climb me to altitude...

Guest j-mo

Using RC 4.3 with FSX and Vista 32, with a registered copy of FSUIPC.I just started having an issue where RC won't issue climb instructions all the way to my cruise altitude. For example, my current flight, KSFO-KIAD, has a cruise altitude of 37,000. RC gave instructions to 23,000 then ceased. I was able to request 37,000, so not a major headache, but I know something's a bit off here.My hunch is there's something goofy with FSX, but I don't know where to look. I say that because ASX has also stopped reporting average winds aloft for my route.My cruise altitude is clearly stated in my flight plan (FS), and appears correctly in the navlog.While I don't know if the problem lies with FS, RC or AS, I'd rather ask on this forum (I may cross-post this on AS as well) than the FSX forum as I know how reliable the expertise here is.Any thoughts?Regards,

are you setting your altimeter to 29.92 after passing through 17,000?i'm sure you were told to climb to FL230, which is not 23,000.if the altimeter was wrong, you may never have come close enough to FL230, to trigger the next step altitudejd

Guest j-mo

Hi, JD-Thanks for your reply.I was tired when I typed my post and not paying attention. I should have typed FL230 and, yes, my altimeter was definitely set to 29.92. It occurs to me that this seems to always happen around this flight level, as opposed to any other stage in the climb. RC is working correctly in all other regards.I am a bit stumped on this as both RC and ASX seem not to recognize my planned cruise level. Or so it seems to me.Regards,

create a .log file, duplicate the problem, and send me the .pln and the log file, zipped.just curious, what version of rc did you say you had? and what program/planner made the .pln file?jd

Guest j-mo

OK, will send the .log and .pln next time this happens.RC version is 4.3.3845, and this is using FSX default flight planner.Regards,

Guest j-mo

I haven't sent a log yet, because I'm temporarily using a wimpy graphics card while I RTM my 8800, and sim performance is suffering. But I've figured out one thing. For some reason, RC doesn't see the cruise altitude in all of my flight plans (this applies to ASX as well), which are all generated inside the FSX flight planner. With ASX, I can tell it the altitude to use, even when it doesn't see it initially. Can't do that with RC (no fault here).I'm flying airliners only (only PMDG 747X, actually), and when this occurs, RC always levels me off at FL230. For now I simply request the higher altitude as my workaround.When I examine my flight plans, I can see the cruise altitude in them all, but I cannot discern any difference between the ones where the altitude is seen or not.I am also communicating with the ASX folks on this, since it applies. I'm now wondering if there might be anything within FSX that could be te cause.I know that a log would give you eyes into what RC is doing, but until I generate one, I'm wondering if this info triggers any possibilities in your mind?Regards,

you can change the cruise altitude inside rc, now.just click on the controller info button, and enter the desired cruise altitude under the center column.and if your .pln says your cruise altitude is 33000, then rc is going to see 33000and rc will climb you to 33000 (FL330 actually).without a .log, i can't tell you what is going on, on your machine. my guess it is the altimeter. you don't close enough to the last altitude assigned, and you are never cleared higher.but i'm only guess, based on troubles others have had in the pastjd

Guest j-mo

Ah... I haven't looked closely enough at the controller info page, Thanks for that. I bet I'll be fine now.I rather doubt this is caused by failure to achieve last assigned altitude, since I can see options for "Request higer/lower" in the RC window as soon as I am assigned FL230. That and the fact that ASX doesn't see the cruise alt. either.I'll play around some more and send a log when able if I need further assistance. Regards,

you can request higher or lower regardless of whether you are climbing or descending, at cruise altitude, or not there yetjd