Sign in to follow this  
KingCat

Some observations

I've been using Radar Contact for a few days now, and I must say that I'm quite satisfied with it. At first I thought that working without the text display (as in default ATC) was going to be an issue, but I must say that I'm already used to just hearing the controllers without any text at all. I already waded through the manual, and right now I'm working my way through the tutorials.There are just a few questions that I would like to ask:1. It seems that when I exit the runway after landing and contact ground, the pilot (me) tells ground that he's at a certain taxiway (e.g. "M3"). However, when I look at the taxiway sign in the scenery, it says e.g. "B5"). This occurs at addon airports AND default airports. Is this difference in taxiway sign and what the pilot says normal? And yes, I did use the "rebuild scenery" button.2. I've just finished up the 2nd tutorial about holding. I know how to do this, but there is just one thing I'm missing in the holding instruction issued by the controllers. The manual says that the controller also specifies if you have to make a left or right turn. I hear every instruction the controller issues (radial/DME/fix/leg length), but I do not hear him/her saying left or right turns. Am I missing something?3. I have to contact ground for a request for push and start. Isn't clearance delivery supposed to tell you you have to contact ground on XXX.XX for push and start? Now I have to tune to the ground frequency, then contact ground for push and start, and then ground tells me to push and start at your descretion and contact ground on XXX.XX when I'm already on this frequency (in other words: ground tells you to contact ground on XXX.XX when I'm already tuned to this frequency).I hope these questions can be answered.Jon

1) taxi way info is made up, random. in v5 it will be the taxi way you're on, or near2) i think the left or right is during vectors, not during the holding pattern.3) i think that is simulate one ground controller that is handling the gate activities, and the other is for taxi instructions.jd

You should be seeing a transparent blue text menu unless you specifically disabled it by checking IFR Training Mode (I think). Make sure you are using a current FSUIPC. Display text should be checked in RC. If you have advdisp.dll in your modules folder disable it.See if this helps. You should see the RC menu plus stats regarding waypoints and heading/distance guidance to your runway.

FYI R/W procedures clearence will tell you to push and start at your discrection. Then after pushback and youre ready to taxi, you would contact ground.try one more flight with default ATC and watch the AI planes closely. They will push and start, then ask for taxi clearance.

This can vary by the airport due to gate density, amount of control, etc.Typically CD gives the route verification (if it has been delivered by a data stream as well) with any amendments. The pilots prepare the route in the avionics or verify and amend it if it has been electronically transferred. When all of the system parameters are checked in the FMCs (if used) and navcomms tuned and initial A/P MCP parameters are set they will request push (or push then start depending on region) from ground (local or apron controller at large airports) to enter the common apron area ("alley"). When the engines and support systems are stable they contact ground (airport area controller) for taxi instructions to move to the assigned runway.I have some non-FAA cockpit videos where the CD is given while pushing back. This is difficult to do in FS unless you have a virtual copilot.

>3) i think that is simulate one ground controller that is>handling the gate activities, and the other is for taxi>instructions.>>jdI'll try to be a bit more specific.When you are on a certain frequency, and a controller switches you over to another frequency, he will tell you to contact e.g. center on XXX.XXWhen I talk to clearancy delivery however, they do not tell me to contact ground on XXX.XX for push and start. In other words I have to figure out the ground frequency on my own (I know this can been read from the screen).But when I'm on the ground frequency and I have received permission to push and start, ground will tell me to contact ground on XXX.XX. Which seems to me like "useless information" because I'm already on that frequency, so why bother to tell me that again. Maybe it would be better for ground to say: contact me again on this frequency when you're ready to taxi.My request would be that clearance delivery tells me to contact ground on XXX.XX for push and start. Would that be possible?Jon