Sign in to follow this  
Guest erwin969

still altitude problems in Europe while ignoring altimeter/QNH messages from ATC

Guest erwin969

I try to ignore the altimeter/QNH messages from ATC and using the normal standard for Europe 1013 mb and I'm not pressing the B key in FS. But I make a flight and ATC said, watching your altitude etc. How is that possible?

I try to ignore the altimeter/QNH messages from ATC and using the normal standard for Europe 1013 mb and I'm not pressing the B key in FS. But I make a flight and ATC said, watching your altitude etc. How is that possible?Turn off the default ATC. It will only serve to confuse you.If you're hearing "watch your altitude" messages it's because your altimeter is not set correctly. Some more details are required.Where are you flying from and to where?What is the Transition Altitude for both airports?What is your cruise level?And finally, what is your altitude when you hear that message?Transition Altitude and Levels are covered in detail in the manusl. Have you read those sections?There have also been many discussions on this forum about this. Have you searched for them? The answer has probably already been given.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

if you are told to be at FLnn, then your altimeter should be at the standard pressureif you are told to be at nn,nnn - then your altimeter should be at the local pressureif you still can't get this working, make a .log, instructions pinned at the top of the forum, duplicate the problem, and send me the .logjd

Guest erwin969

>I try to ignore the altimeter/QNH messages from ATC and>using the normal standard for Europe 1013 mb and I'm not>pressing the B key in FS. But I make a flight and ATC said,>watching your altitude etc. How is that possible?>>Turn off the default ATC. It will only serve to confuse you.>>If you're hearing "watch your altitude" messages it's because>your altimeter is not set correctly. Some more details are>required.>>Where are you flying from and to where?>>What is the Transition Altitude for both airports?>>What is your cruise level?>>And finally, what is your altitude when you hear that>message?>>Transition Altitude and Levels are covered in detail in the>manusl. Have you read those sections?>>There have also been many discussions on this forum about>this. Have you searched for them? The answer has probably>already been given.>>Cheers,See attachement with 2 flightplans where I have these problems.

the flight plans don't help me.if you think you are at the right altitude, and you are still getting abused, then create a .log, instructions pinned at the top of the forum.duplicate the problem, send me the .log. i'll tell you what altitude you're at, and what altitude you're supposed to be at.jd

The Luton - London City flight has a cruise altitude of 6558ft - barely above the Transition Altitude of 6000ft for each airport.I'm guessing you used a flight planner like FS Navigator to generate this plan. When you get a cruise altitude like that it's always best to round it down to the nearest thousand feet. 5000ft would have been better and that would have put you below the Transition Altitude for the whole flight.Under those conditions you would have remained on local (QNH) pressure throughout. Try it again but this time amend the cruise altitude to 5000ft. You shouldn't have any problems.The other flight in Holland / Belgium is longer with a much higher cruise altitude and again, you should round it down to a correct flight level such as FL320. The transition Altitude in Holland is mostly 3000ft so be aware of that when you next fly that route.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When you fly make sure you select Debug and if you get any problems send the log to JD.It has to be chosen before you start RC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest erwin969

I made 2 flights: one from Southhampton to EGLC (London City) and one from Eelde(The Netherlands) to Brussels. No problems, with it. I ignore the QHN messages until I had contact with approach. Than I press the B key in FS to set my altimeter correctly because my altimeter is not right when I'm landing. So if I do nothting with it my altitude is a little bit higher and I fly over the runway. I had this on EGLC and in Brussels before.

if you are ignoring something, that's not goodif you are pressing the "B" key, that's not good. forget the "B" key. forget that you ever knew what it does.why aren't you doing this?when you hear "climb and maintain 4000", make sure the altimeter is on the local pressurewhen you hear "climb and maintain FL60", make sure the altimeter is on the standard pressurewhen you hear "descend and maintain 5000", make sure the altimeter is on the local pressure?jd

No problems, with it. I ignore the QHN messages until I had contact with approach. Than I press the B key in FS to set my altimeter correctly because my altimeter is not right when I'm landing. So if I do nothting with it my altitude is a little bit higher and I fly over the runway. I had this on EGLC and in Brussels before.There's every problem with it! You must not ignore QNH messages when advised. If you don't have your altimeter pressure set correctly you won't be at the correct altitude and you'll end up flying over the runway as you described in your second flight.If you really want to get the realism out of RC you have to learn about Transition Altitudes, QNH and standard pressure. It isn't difficult. JD has already posted the simple rules to follow. And keep away from the B key unless you're flying in the US. It only works correctly when the Transition Altitude is 18000ft.Ultimately it's up to you how you use Radar Contact but if you don't follow correct procedures you will always be nagged by the controller. Is that really what you want?Take the time to read the manual.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest erwin969

Ehh, sorry? You said to me that pressing B and changing altimeter settings in Europe don't work, only in the USA....

Guest erwin969

I read the manual, many times now. So I know it.

ok, five questions1) when you are 15,000 and told to climb and maintain FL 190, what should the altimeter be set to?2) when you are assigned FL60, what is your altimeter setting?3) when you are assigned 6000, what is your altimeter setting?4) when you are at FL60, and told to descend and maintain 4000, what is your altimeter setting5) when you are at FL180, and told to descend and maintain FL170, what is your altimeter settingjd