Sign in to follow this  
Guest erwin969

still altitude problems in Europe while ignoring altimeter/QNH messages from ATC

Guest erwin969

On all this flight levels my altimeter is at the default setting of the plane. When I'm on the approach frequency I set the altimeter to the current altimeter setting. My landing going well.

On all this flight levels my altimeter is at the default setting of the plane.There's no such thing as a default setting. There is QNH and standard pressure.When I'm on the approach frequency I set the altimeter to the current altimeter setting. My landing going well.You should set your altimeter to QNH as soon as you are cleared down to an altitude. For example, 4000ft. If you are cleared down to FL40 you wouldn't. That might be required long before Approach. Don't leave it until Approach before changing it. You'll probably get told off for not maintaining a correct altitude.I think both JD and I would feel more confident of your understanding of this if you answered his questions. ;-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

if that is what you have your altimeter set to, and that is your answer to all 5 of my questions, then you missed 2 of the 5any altitude, that is given to you in feet, the altimeter HAS to be set to the local pressureand altitude, that is give to you in FL, the altimeter HAS to be set to the standard pressurewe'll be happy to explain this, until you understand. or, if you are happy doing things the way you are doing things, we'll let it go.just don't fly into areas of high pressure, or low pressure :-)jd