Sign in to follow this  
misgav

help with a really weird problem

JD,My problem is indirectly related to RC(which I use with every flight).Since RC uses the flightplans created by fs9 as a starting point, here is where my problem lies.I think my query is going to sound a bit odd, but here goes.After reformatting my hd and reinstalling fs9.1(thanks to a nasty virus), I continued to install my countless addons. Payware and freeware sceneries, planes, utilities, etc. After a few of these I would test fs9 to see that it ran well.I think the last ones to be reinstalled were Just Flight Dash-8, Flight1 ATR and Meridian, Ground Environment, Radar Contact v4.3. After all was reinstalled, most attempts at starting fs9 ended in ctd's. I uninstalled GE, but to no avail. Defragged, ran Registry Mechanic, installed Directxc 9.0c, still ctd's.After may attempts and crashes, I began to notice a pattern; If I chose' Fly Now', I could fly anywhere to anywhere with any plane,, default or payware. No crashes here.If I chose 'Flight Planner' from the main screen, Something strange happened. If I chose a dep/ arr arport in the UK (ICAO code EGxx), fs9 would crash!If the flightplan included non UK airports, the flightplan was done, saved, and I could fly ok with no ctd's. How odd!So I began to suspect that maybe the [payware UK2000 Gatwick Extreme was the culprit. There was not addon installed in the UK. The only thing which might affect scenery in the UK are Ultimate Terrain Europe, and FSGenesis European terrain mesh. But these were installed much earlier and caused no crashes.Here's copy of the error message coming after each ctd when the flightplanner initiates the crash.:Documents and SettingsFamilyApplication DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.CFG.txtC:Documents and SettingsFamilyApplication DataMicrosoftFS9dxdiag.xmlC:Documents and SettingsFamilyApplication DataMicrosoftFS9scenery.cfgCan you give me your input as to the causes of the ctd's, given the above info? I fly with Nobleair Virtual out of EGKK, so this is crucial to me. I can't fly out of Gatwick with RC unless there's a flightplan!Much obliged.Eytan OrnsteinIntel 2 core duo E4400 2.0GHZ2.0 GB RAMGeforce 8600GT 256MBwindows xp sp3

1.FSUIPC v3.8172. Forgot to note that I have one scenery addon installed for the UK-Gatwick Extreme.

FSUIPC current release version is here:http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlFSUIPC 3.82Also in your scenery lib setting disable Gatwick Extreme and restart FS9 after saving your settings to let it reindex. See if you can place an EGXX in your plan now without it crashing. Don't run RC yet.If it still does then I would expect one of your main APxxx.bgl scenery files, the default airports, is goofed up and needs to be replaced.Also try a different season as fall is noted for causing crashes in some areas.If it works after disabling Gatwick then check inside the gatwick folder to see if there is an afcad file. If so run afcad (available from the AVSIM fs9 utilties section as version 2.21) and run it searching for the gatwick ICAO code. If more than the bottom layer opens, you might have another afcad competing with Gatwick's. Open the upper layer and click on file/properties to find its location. The only extra layers involved besides one upper do not show runways, etc., when opened. Go to the offending location and rename the extension to .bgh to disable it. Restart FS and in the scenery libraries reenable Gatwick. Restart FS and let it index. Do a plan and see if you have a problem. If not run RC and rebuild the scenery database.

OK. One step at a time.1.FSUIPC 3.187-is what is shown when I open the modules/ fsuipc version in fs9. This is after downloading/installing version 3.82. So I guess 3.82 is a rounded up number.2. Disabled Gatwick xtreme in the scenery library, restarted, opened flightplanner, entered ifr, then EGKKk as dep airport, then crash. Also tried disabling EGGW payware addon to see if that has any effect- still got a ctd after opening flightplanner.3. Ran afcad 2.12 and looked for London (which included eggw,I rememembered this came as part of World Airports 2 from Just Flight)So here is the report:EGKK mod 151EGKK stock 7EGGW mod 64EGGW stock 7(The other airports around London just had one line per airport)3. Where do we go from here? are we on the right path to a resolution of the issue.Eytan

3.820 is the current release. 3.817 was an interim. 3.820 is what I have installed. Did you copy and overwrite fsuipc.dll in your modules folder from the folder you created from the download?What OS are you running.Check the version of fsuipc.dll by going into your fs/modules folder. Right click on it, click properties, then version.I doubt this has anything to do with your problem, though.If you ran the scenery rebuild in your FS home directory you'll find a file called makerwys.txt. This is a log file of your scenery as seen by the scenery build. Open it with notepad - and wait - and see what kind of entries you have for EG airports. You should have the defaults plus later down the list any add-ons. If your EG airports are not listed you have a scenery problem.

Yes after dowloading and copying the dll to the root directory, I overwrote the existing dll.Inside the fs9 root directory-modules- fsuipc.dll-properties-version-3.820. If running fs9- Alt- top menu bar- modules-fsuipc, on the fsuipc window it says v3.817, 18 july 2008, so go figure!?I have windows xp home sp3.what is the scenery rebuild in the fs home directory? Is that the automatic process that occurs after each change in the scenery library, and runs when you restart fs? or is it something I run?I did a search for 'makerwys.txt' independently but no results.Eytan

I made an error in the filename and apologize for that. It is runways.txt in the FS folder.makerwys.exe in the FS root folder is a utility called from RC or other application. The latest version can be downloaded from the same link as FSUIPC. It is not normally run by itself and does not run automatically. RC calls it from its scenery rebuild utility as executed from the RC interface button whenever you make a change to your scenery. After makerwys creates several files the RC process copies some of those to its folder, renames, and creates some files from that data. It is all airport information derived from your installed scenery including default, add-on afcads, and airport add-ons. This is where RC gets its information to create its runway and runway localizer information, taxiway paths, and gate/ramp information, and airport coordinates.I mentioned examining the runways.txt file (in the FS folder) after you've executed a Scenery Database Rebuild from RC just to furnish a diagnostic log. Search runways.txt for EG and see what information comes up or is missing. First the default scenery entries will be in the file followed by add-on sceneries and afcads. The file path and name heads each airport section. Higher priority items as set in your library settings appear later in the list superseding earlier entries in the finished results of the data output files. Look for any irregularities or missing airport information by doing a notepad find for EG. Wherever it appears as irregular note the reference to the filename and path as that might indicate what needs to be replaced.Another test is to use a third party flight planner that outputs FS9 format. You can then import the plan into FS9 and examine it with the FS9 flight planner or just fly it. Freeware planners include Super Flight Planner available from the AVSIM library as sfp303.zip. It is a bit of a steep learning curve. As I recall it builds its database from your scenery. Another is NAV 3.1 (NAV 3.0 with an upgrade to 3.1 to be applied). This has its own database but is outdated. I can't locate it right now.Payware planners include FS Commander, FS Build, and others. I am not familiar with FS Commander so I do not know how it gets its database. An FS flight plan format includes origin, destination, and waypoints. The important thing is that each has coordinates attached to it. What you are trying to find out is whether the coordinates in the .pln file are correct and not corrupt.This is really off-topic for this forum since your crash is not RC dependent but if nothing I've suggested works try an inquiry in the FS2004 forum here on AVSIM for additional assistance.

Ron, I did as you indicated, and rebuilt scenery db in rc.I got the runway.txt file, opened it up and found the section on EGKK and EGGWNotice that EGKK does not have a layer # like EGGW. Also note the entry ay EGGW about deleting runways- kinda strange.You have more expertise, could you tell me what's wrong if anything.Airport EGKK N51:08:52.9731 W000:11:24.9993 196ft Runway 8R/26L centre: N51:08:53.3295 W000:11:24.9090 196ft Computed start 8R: Lat 51.145107 Long -0.212361 Offset Threshold primary: 1289 feet Computed start 26L: Lat 51.151188 Long -0.168144 Offset Threshold secondary: 876 feet Hdg: 77.640 true (MagVar -3.000), ASPHALT, 10352 x 151 ft Primary ILS: IGG 110.90 , Flags: GS DME BC Secondary ILS: IWW 110.90 , Flags: GS DME BC*** Runway *** EGKK0082 Lat 51.145107 Long -0.212361 Alt 196 Hdg 81 Len 10352 Wid 151 ILS 110.90, Flags: GS DME BC*** Runway *** EGKK0261 Lat 51.151188 Long -0.168144 Alt 196 Hdg 261 Len 10352 Wid 151 ILS 110.90, Flags: GS DME BC Runway 8L/26R centre: N51:08:57.6703 W000:11:40.8896 196ft Computed start 8L: Lat 51.146885 Long -0.212602 Offset Threshold primary: 1056 feet Computed start 26R: Lat 51.151821 Long -0.176782 Offset Threshold secondary: 1368 feet Hdg: 77.610 true (MagVar -3.000), ASPHALT, 8387 x 148 ft*** Runway *** EGKK0081 Lat 51.146885 Long -0.212602 Alt 196 Hdg 81 Len 8387 Wid 148*** Runway *** EGKK0262 Lat 51.151821 Long -0.176782 Alt 196 Hdg 261 Len 8387 Wid 148Area.067 "World Airports 2 - London Luton (EGGW)" (Layer=64)Local=sceneryWorldAirports2EGGW=============================================================================sceneryWorldAirports2EGGWsceneryAF2_EGGW.bgl=============================================================================Airport EGGW N51:52:28.9773 W000:22:06.0000 526ft Delete all taxiways! Delete all runways and starts!*** DelBth *** EGGW0080 Lat 51.872017 Long -0.383576 Alt 526 Hdg 77 Len 7075 Wid 151 ILS 109.15, Flags: GS DME BC*** DelBth *** EGGW0260 Lat 51.877235 Long -0.353302 Alt 526 Hdg 257 Len 7075 Wid 151 ILS 109.15, Flags: GS DME BC Runway 8 /26 centre: N51:52:29.0097 W000:22:04.2508 526ft Computed start 8 : Lat 51.871845 Long -0.384536 Computed start 26 : Lat 51.877605 Long -0.351159 Offset Threshold secondary: 279 feet Hdg: 74.390 true (MagVar -3.000), ASPHALT, 7800 x 250 ft*** Runway *** EGGW0080 Lat 51.871845 Long -0.384536 Alt 526 Hdg 77 Len 7800 Wid 250*** Runway *** EGGW0260 Lat 51.877605 Long -0.351159 Alt 526 Hdg 257 Len 7800 Wid 250 FSM ATIS for EGGW=2057

EGKK appears to be default scenery. There are a number of default airports scenery files under Area 7 Eurw. EGGK is part of many airports under SceneryEURWsceneryAP946120.BGL so you do not see that immediately in front of EGKK.You see that in front of your second EGWW section because it is an isolated .bgl file in an add-on. In this case it is an afcad file with similar properties to the APxxx.bgl default files except it is a subset of such information. It is normal for a file created with AFCAD to contain the delete instructions (coded) at the beginning. This means the information in this file will replace the like information in a previous layer file. What has happened here though is that the information developed for RC's database notably the ILS frequency and the flags (in this case glideslope, ild dme, and backcourse available, may not make it into the RC database. Within FS, default ILSs can not be deleted.There is something missing in your EGGW unless it is further down. For any airport section the last line should be as it is for my KMSP scenery:FSM A/P KMSP, lat=44.880547, long=-93.216919, alt=841.As jd suggested, check your version of makerwys.exe. Right click on it in the FS folder, click properties, and click version. It is currently at version MakeRunways 4.29 from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html. Use this so the proper runways.txt file is created for our analysis.AF2_EGGW.bgl is the file I'm concerned with if after running the scenery rebuild there is not an FSM A/P statement at the end of the airport section.

i had the very same problem abour a year agoit was very detailed freeware mesh and scenery of Netherlands which was causing it. i dont remember its name exactly but it was huge, over a couple of DVDs. as i removed, all went back to normal.hope it helps.Paul

Hmm... i have Netherlands 2000 vfr scenery installed. It is huge and very detailed-about 5 cd's worth. I paid 10$ for it. It's incredibly realistic-you can see every farmhouse and canal!. Anyways, it was present in my last install of fs9 and caused no problems. In this (after reformatting)install, why would it(NL2000) behave differently?Anyways, I got around my problem. In one out of five times with fs9 running, the flightplanner with a UK airport would not cause a ctd. So I quickly created as many flightplans as possible out Of Gatwick and saved them. Now I have all the flightplans I need to use with RC and my virtual airline.I thought of getting Flightsim Commander, but see no point in paying for something that good freeware planners can do well, like Super Flight Planner.Eytan

>Anyways, I got around my problem. In one out of five times>with fs9 running, the flightplanner with a UK airport would>not cause a ctd. So I quickly created as many flightplans as>possible out Of Gatwick and saved them. Now I have all the>flightplans I need to use with RC and my virtual airline.I forgot to add that I found the source of the ctd's in the way the default fs9 flightplanner was working. Each time I would enter a UK ICAO in the dep/arr airports, fs would crash. If I planned a flight anywhere else in the world -no ctd's. It took a lot of trial and error to pinoint this phenomenon.Eytan