Sign in to follow this  
msyairtran

Pushback

Hi I was wondering if there is or going to be an option to pushback without contacting ATC where there is airports that its not a requirement but rather a complimentry like at small airports or reginal airports.

i didn't think it would be necessary. if you want to pushback without contacting a controller.with v4 today, couldn't you push back, and when done, call ground for taxi?jd

On the subject of pushing back from gate, is there a way of using RC4 and still being able to turn left/right during the push? Normally one would use keys 1 or 2, after SHIFT+P, however with RC4 in use the 1 and 2 keys are interpreted as different instructions.Any help would be welcome.

go into rc keyboard definitions, change 1 and 2 to ctrl-shift-1 and ctrl-shift-2.then you can use 1 and 2jd

Thanks, however I assume that means that I would need to use CTRL+SHIFT+1 or 2 each time I was selecting RC options eg to change frequencies or select options. This could be more difficult especially on approaches for landing when there is often quick ATC(RC) communications required.As far as I can see the default pushback left/right options are one of the few FS keypresses that cannot be changed (or mapped to joystick etc); as a pushback is normally carried out only once per flight, then it would make sense if possible to make this a multi-key press.

I tried something ion FS9 tonight. I changed the FS keyboard assignments for SELECT 1 to CTRL + LEFT ARROW (Num 4) and SELECT 2 to CTRL + RIGHT ARROW (Num 6). Deselect these from aileron left and right. I then deselected CTRL + ARROW DOWN (Num 2) from Look Up to Pushback start/stop.I have this separate little arrow quad next to the CTRL key on my keyboard so I am able to do this with one hand.It worked for many aircraft but not the PMDG 737NG series. (It did not use for the default selects of 1 and 2 for left/right either).So for a tail left I start pushback with CTRL-DOWN ARROW then to turn tail left its CTRL-DOWN ARROW followed quickly by CTRL-LEFT ARROW.This preserves the digits for RC. I do not fly with the keyboard and I have a hat switch for the views.

PMDG Correction:I got the PMDG pushback steering to work via the PMDG Menu key assignments. I retained the CTRL+DOWN ARROW (Num 2) but was forced to use CTRL + L and CTRL + R for steering due to some apparent Windows XP hot key conflicts (it brought up previous programs while in FS!).

RonExcellent!!! I didn't know that the 1 + 2 keypresses could be changed by altering the SELECT 1 or 2 key assignments. TBH I had no idea what Select 1(2,3,4) keypresses were supposed to mean.Anyway like you I have used the same combination of CTRL + NUMERIC 4/2/6 for pushing back and turning (although I noticed that the original assignments being overwritten referred to adjusting the tilt of landing lights - not one I can say I've had to use :) )I also prefer to change views using the joystick where possible, using the Joystick hat control to pan around, and also have joystick buttons mapped to cycle views forward and backwards, reset zoom to 1, and maximise view. However the numeric keypad still functions as normal, when used without holding CTRL, should I wish to use the 8 directional view keys there at any time.And I can still continue using single keypresses 1,2,3 etc to communicate with RC4.Problem solved! Thanks again for that piece of knowledge.RegardsMark

Glad it helped.A reminder to all if you use the FS Engine commands of CTRL+E+1 OR 2, the 1 or 2 are now replaced with the CTRL LEFT or RIGHT ARROW. There is a side benefit that the arrow points to the engine to be started on a twin. This might apply to other combo controls as well.