Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

Runway selection at destination.

I fly with ASX BTW, but a lot of the time when I'm about 30 miles from my destination I get weather and be told landing a departing say runway 1L @ KRIC. Then I'll get passed to approach and directed to land at runway 12 or 19R .The funny thing is that all the AI is landing at 1L . This is at KIAD btw.Any idea what may be happening?

i would have to see a log, to see how the decision was made.arrival runway choice is based on what the ai were doing before you contact approach.if you are 30 miles away, you have already contacted approach. what runway did he give you?jd

happens to me aswell on some airports e.g. EDDF Frankfurt/Main the AI is landing 25L/R and i get assigned to the 07L/Rhappens sometimes in KSFO too but that does not bug me too much since they often have 28L/R and 19L/R active at the same timebut would be nice to know what causes this btw im using ASv6 and AiSmooth regards Tobi

I've seen this a couple of times as well lately and what I think is happening is the wind-smoothing in either ASX or FSUIPC can sometimes cause havoc on the RC approach selection because we've slowed the rate-of-change down so much to fix the mirade of FSX weather issues. For instance, the wind being at 180/12 before contacting approach but still changing direction (slowly because of the smoothing processes)and then shortly after, the wind steadies at 350/9 after RC has already made the approach decision, which causes RC to change the approach if necessary. I recently changed the FSUIPIC wind smoothing option to 2sec per deg/kt rate of change (bottom box) which seems to have helped.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE