Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeavyFan

When will PROJECT AI Be online???

Guest Matt Johnson

(edit for detypo and wording)I think all I can say about what PAI have posted on their site is that I'll be interested to see it in action -- 20GB a month isn't far at all.

For the record, had PAI approached AVSIM with a proposal which did not require the provision of a live-download web installer, and had they been more amenable to following AVSIM's hosting policies (which all of our other partners, including Project Opensky and FFG, are exceedingly happy to follow), things might have turned out differently -- although obviously I cannot make guarantees based on now-hypothetical situations.Our hosted site policies are for security and performance reasons, as well as being able to help our hosted sites to protect their interests and property -- a set of policies which have been particularly appreciated by our partners during the current debacle with FSPlanet.Com. PAI's use of a live web installer technology was insisted upon during their negotiations with us -- at no stage was dropping the web installer even mentioned as being considered. Since said negotiations, PAI have decided to drop the concept of a live-download web installer; which, ironically, would have permitted them to follow AVSIM's policy on hosted downloads and might have changed AVSIM's ultimate response after PAI's negotiations with us -- however for obvious reasons the same caveat applies as above.As an aside, AVSIM do not cap hosted sites' bandwidth usage; similarly, we do not cap bandwidth on the AVSIM Library. As long as the use of bandwidth and the content provided falls into the boundaries of "reasonable use" -- which basically means we would take an extremely dim view of non-FS files being served on AVSIM bandwidth, or the highly unlikely (and frankly unfeasible, from my point of view) possibility that one hosted site is causing load to the detriment of AVSIM's core content and other hosted sites -- AVSIM are perfectly happy to "foot the bandwidth bill". Our network resources, courtesy of our upstream provider Ardent Communications/Beyond The Net, are currently such that we are in a position to provide this type of service to our hosted sites.As events have unfolded, however, PAI have chosen to host with FSGateway.Com and not with AVSIM -- and AVSIM wishes them luck in their future endeavours.Regards,--M

Thanks for the information, Matt -- I did wonder about what went wrong with Project AI being on AVSIM.This just points out, yet again, how wonderful AVSIM is compared to these pay sites (and don't get me started about "donations" -- yep, Vietnam was just a "police action.") And I guess I wouldn't gripe so much about someone wanting some help footing the bandwidth bill if these other sites didn't *also* have ads up the ying-yang (technical term for "wazoo"). You can't tell me someone isn't making money here somewhere.

Guest Matt Johnson

Mike,Indeed -- a lot of people have, which is why I posted. :)Of course, I did omit to mention that the way AVSIM recoups some of its bandwidth costs is by insisting that our Hosted Sites run an AVSIM advertisement banner. The remainder is consumed by income from our other sources -- i.e. the AVSIM Store, AVSIM's donation scheme (which I hasten to add is a 'true' donation scheme, as opposed to providing a personal service in response to your 'donation'), and other miscellaneous income (e.g. conference income surplus).--M

Well kelleym, you can be 100% sure that its not PAi or FsGateway who is making money...infact NOone is, we are freeware, and id die before id let the team go payware.All donations are for Bandwith!Ben AlfoldiCEO Project AI

>Well kelleym, you can be 100% sure that its not PAi or >FsGateway who is making money...infact NOone is, we are >freeware, and id die before id let the team go payware. >All donations are for Bandwith! >>>Ben Alfoldi >CEO Project AI BenWith what Matt just said above it would seem to me, that with PAI

Very interesting Matt. Thanks for the info.

Guest Matt Johnson

I'll suffice it to say that the web-based installer wasn't necessarily the only impediment to the group accepting AVSIM's hosting policies.Regards,--M

Please be aware that FSGateway is not Limiting Bandwidth or nodes or anything for that matter! to anyone!! Everyone will have full access. As per Project AI's has stated in their web site, they were going to try a Donation structure without limit.This has been posted on their main site. since they posted it this morning.http://www.projectai.com

Guest Matt Johnson

(edits to fix forum link)To agree, FSGateway aren't planning to restrict bandwidth or nodes, or anything. Obviously, whomever provides the bandwidth will bill ProjectAI either directly or via their "donation" structure for any traffic over 20GB (as projectai.com) states.Pertinent PAI forum linkJohn Rogers' responses are what I think quite a few people are basing their information on, as well as the contents of projectai.com earlier which discussed (confusingly) about $10 and $25 donations for "single" and "three" downloads, which has now been removed.To clarify, FSGateway certainly have nothing to do with any proposed limitation, and have indeed provided a valuable service in stepping up to assist PAI, a project which I'm sure we all hope will succeed.Regards,--M

Hello guys, I am usually out of this kind of conversation, but I couldn't this time. We at PAI, are trying to do the best, we got our hands on the work, and a lot of people is hlping us. Why we didn't use AVSIM host? - Our files must be put on their Library, like this we could not have control over the files, and versions, and a lot of people would get confused. - We are going to have an automatic upload system, because our members will check every uploaded file, to see if is OK, and can be used on our packages. So, I think it is completly useless have a conversation like this. We CAN'T have an unlimited acces site - at least now, we hope - so, the only way we found to put it online and GIVE it to you was with the donations. I repeat: EVERYBOBY can use the Pai projects, and those who wants to help, will be able also. I hope this kind of conversation finishes here OK? Thanks to those who like us, and to those who doesn't. Lucas Benevello FSim Lover PAI Assistant CEO - yes we need assistant CEO, we have a lot of work on our hands...

Guest HeavyFan

OK, I do not understand this now!! If Project AI have left the auto-installer and that would make it easier for AVsim to host thier web site for free, without paying for additional bandwith!! Instead they chose a site that will have very limited access as I am predicting, as it will be a hot download site, and for sure will become like FlightSim.com, and take forever to get in, unless we pay then it will not??? Now why did they not just be on Avsim , which will garuntee free unlimited Bandwith like POSKY, FFG, etc...But they decide to take the difficult route and do it this pay thing, with limited bandwith?? PLEASE AI why don't you retalk with Avsim to get on thier servers! I don't see the big problem in doing that since you guy's now ditched the auto Installer?? I for one did not care for the auto- installer, and like to do things manually when it comes to this kind of add-on!! Now I really liked what you guy's did for us and AI Traffic, but I don't know if i will pay for a free product? Plus I have no credit cards to help you out!! I dunno I am just confused as to why they pick the Limited Pay site to the great work of AVSIM web servers?? MIKE-:)! Hope to see and go in your web site soon Project AI if i can get in!

Guest Matt Johnson

Lucas,While I think you're wrong about our Library (as I said, FFG is happy with the system), your decision to go with FSGateway has been made, and AVSIM wishes PAI the best of luck in your endeavours.At your request, I'm locking the thread.Regards.--M