Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

RC5 - Feature Requests

Hi JD,It's been a while since I've posted here but as always, I've been using RC4 with FSX without any noted issues. I wasn't sure if there was a RC5 "Wish List" so I thought I would add a couple here.1) In RC5, please add the ability to detect and allow us to manually select which sound-device RC5 uses for its audio output. This is a cool feature in FSX that allows me to select my USB headphones as the audio-only device and having ATC dedicated to the headphones is a great feature that I would love to have in RC5.2) Please give us a way to set the 40nm altitude/speed descent restriction after importing the flightplan. Maybe have an "auto" in this option that leaves the restrictions operate is they do now, but in this same field, allow us to designate the restriction manually. A lot of us spend a lot of time studying and using STAR procedures which usually have a restriction already noted at the 40nm fix. Now, I understand the discussion regarding how often SID/STARS are used in real life, but many of us enjoy the planning and execution of detailed plans and to be able to incorporate DP/ARR procdures in RC5 would definitly be a bleasing. One solution in my mind would be if RC5 starting using monthly NavData procedures like many of the better payware aircraft and thus allow RC (ATC) the ability to offer/order the use of a particular DP/ARR prodedure. To be honest, after many hundreds of hours with RC3 & RC4, ATC has become too predictable and I need a way to mix it up little, but at the same time allow us to use our FMCs and flightplanners to fullest extent possible with DP/ARR procedures, if we so desier.3) Give the user a pre-flight option to choose whether to enable or disable the 250kt/10Kft speed restriction anywhere, not just Europe. I know this has been discussed before, but I firmly beleive that giving the user the power to customize RC to their personal expectations is a good thing.As always, still using RC after all these years and I just wanted to throw my two cents in to add future enhancments.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

1) not sure how to do that2) predictable is good. you don't want every flight to be unpredictable and an exciting flight. boring is good. that also means you're good.3) i'll check. the reason it's in there is because that's the rules at the time i coded it. i'm not going to make it optional to allow you to pick and choose the rules you want or don't want. on the other hand, i might be able to "simulate" a LOA (i think that is the acronym), and give you that capability.jd

That's cool, and thanks for considering. To elaborate on # 2 for a moment, I was arriving into the KATL airpsace last night and using the FLCON3.MOL arrival. The 40nm fix (dirty) dictates an exact crossing restriction of 14000ft whether landing eastbound or westbound. Obviously with RC, the standard close-side restriction was 11000ft as the 26R approach was in use. As this seems to be the case more times than not when following a STAR, I would love to have a way to automatically or manually designate the 40nm restirction to match a given STAR procedure, either before or during a flight.http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/K...ON+THREE+(RNAV)Thanks again for the best ATC around.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

On the crossing restrictions -- you should definitely add more possible altitudes for near/far side approaches than just the two possibilities you have now, to simulate differences in airspace structures. I've been working in the ATC field for some time now and procedures and controlling habits do vary. Same on departure -- how about making it a random chance that the user is cleared to, say, 13 instead of 15 thousandand handed off to the upper airspace controller, simulating interfacility coordination.On another note, when handing off, could you make RC detect the FS clock and occasionally say good morning/day/evening/night as approppriate. I know if we pick the nit it's not proper but a nice touch...:D

Just to add my two cents I think if the new version just gave me a guided taxiing system and more voices so my controller isn't answering himself from AI 75 miles away, I'd buy it! I can't fly without Radar Contact any more!Oh yeah -- and compatibility with FS9 too. But you've already assured me that will remain.

The amount of voices always depends on the amount of volunteers willing enough to record the script...maybe you'd want to donate your voice?>Just to add my two cents I think if the new version just gave>me a guided taxiing system and more voices so my controller>isn't answering himself from AI 75 miles away, I'd buy it! I>can't fly without Radar Contact any more!>>Oh yeah -- and compatibility with FS9 too. But you've already>assured me that will remain.

Whatever -- the point is I'd be happy to help in any way I could, but I think JD and the crew have already got more than enough American and British voice volunteers. Besides, you've never heard my accents. They're pretty good. :-) As good as some of the ones I hear on the competitor's product.

>Whatever -- the point is I'd be happy to help in any way I>could, but I think JD and the crew have already got more than>enough American and British voice volunteers. >>Besides, you've never heard my accents. They're pretty good. >:-) As good as some of the ones I hear on the competitor's>product.By all means pal, send me a few samples at ilari.kousa@kolumbus.fi. I'd be happy to hear'em. :)EDIT: Regarding the competitor, some of these are outright hilarious (not to mention 7110.65 phraseology all over the place -- have a listen: http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-onlin...expansion.phtml ):)

Email or IM me a few things I should say, and what accents you would like. Who are you any way?? Are you affiliated with Radar Contact? I don't believe I've ever seen your moniker here before . . .

I've just been away from the forum for awhile due to technical problems. I was a beta tester for RC4 and work as a part time ATC human factors consultant for ATC at Helsinki Airport, Finland (EFHK).I'm studying at Helsinki University, majoring in cognitive science. I'll be in touch...I

I wish I could help here with foreign voices, but I had an experience with recording a voice pack that almost cost me my voice.I did a voice pack for PFE, RC's competitor, (I'm version 2.0 voice sample #5 on their main page). Although I can speak American English perfectly, I regressed to my home bred IsraeliMiddle East accent- my wife said I sounded like a real bozo! It took me forever; it's very hard work to keep your voice clear and steady over hundreds of phrases. Once was enough!Eytan Ornsteinnear LLHA

JD, slightly off-topic..Could you describe the implementation of the ground-control system for V5? I understand we're probably going to have taxi instructions via taxiways? "Follow traffic" instructions? This is going to be revolutionary...

on the drawing board, coded, tested1) recognition of what gate, or taxiway you're at and use that when you call ground.2) taxi instructions, alpha then charlie then tango. hold short runway 4L3) if the taxi route takes you across runways, a check for ai activity on the runway (either end). if landing or departing traffic is occuring on that runway, you will be told to hold short that active runway. when the landings end, i'll tell you to cross the runway (i can't very well freeze landing traffic). i will hold the next deparing ai, tell you to cross the runway4) the usual runway threshold behavior now.5) at the arrival airport, tower will tell you to exit the runway at taxiway uniform. you will report in to ground at uniform.6) i will find an open gate, that supports your carrier, that is big enough, and give you taxi instructions there. if nothing is available for your carrier, i will find an available gate that is big enough. if i can't find anything, i will nuke an ai at a gatea lot of this hinges on the fact the add-on sceneries have taxi ways labeled, connected (so i can get anywhere from anywhere), etcjd