Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

RC5 - Feature Requests

Sounds great jd. Absolutely great. I was wondering -- with he advent of better technologies since first introducing Radar Contact, and in light of the great new features you're talking about here, are you also exploring the issue of somehow reducing RCs draw on Windows resources during operation? My recent experience with even newer add ons says this may not be possible with a program requiring the call up of so many different .wav files in such a short time frame, but I was wondering if you had any magic up your sleeve that would make RC5 a bit "lighter" on computer resources? Just curious -- you know I'll buy regardless! ;-)Thank you for your time.

i'd have to better understand what resources you think rc is drawing down. cpu? memory? disk io? network?not sure what i would be working on.jd

CPU and Memory. Frequently RC uses 50% - 65% of CPU capacity. There may be nothing that can be done about this -- I was just asking if you thought this could be trimmed at all. With the advent of smaller footprint database managers and media players in the last years or so. Computers are much stronger these days, therefore developers tend to generally focus on more features and fancier GUIs and not so much the efficiency of their apps. Not aat all saying you do that, but Microsoft, Adobe, Intuit, etc., even PMDG. Just asking. :-)

i'll keep an eye on that. i would not think rc is doing that much most of the time.a spike here and there when i calculate nearest airports in an emergency, or in v5, calculating taxi routes. but cruise, i would be shocked.i'll turn on perf mon next time i run itjd

JD, is there any chance that the 250kt limit relief could be randomised? At the moment, you know you're getting it because you select it. In reality, it's provided if traffic permits, and that is not something that would be known during flight planning.Thanks

Or, even better, make it depend on the amount of AI at a certain radius from your departure airport. (In ICAO airspace only, that is)

>>i'll do what happens in the real worldjdI guess that means the request I was about to make of invading Amazonian Women from Mars taking over the cockpit and demanding I help repopulate their species is definately out, then?

LOL, he said, "real" world, not "your" world! I'd like this feature though too please! :)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

The limit definitely does *not* apply everywhere outside FAA airspace -- if I remember correctly, it was put in place by the FAA to help prevent birdstrikes or something. Here in Europe, ATC often uses a phrase such as "high speed approved" to lift the restriction where it does apply, traffic permitting.To an entirely different matter: I hope the V5 manual will still have the wonderful tutorials, showcasing all the features! Really enjoyed those last time around!Ilari

i just wish more people would fly them, and learn from them, instead of loading the bits, running them, and getting frustrated when they don't know what is happening.like transition altitude, transition level, departure procedures, no departure procedures, crossing restrictions, standard pressure, local pressure, display text, no display text, etc....those things like display text, that people blindly check, not know what they are for, and generating a ton of questions, is going to be very hard to mess up in v5jd

jd goes on a little rant. Hoo-yaahh. :-DAll seriousness aside (sic), with the number of addons I buy each year it's very difficult to read each developers 100 - 200 page manuals all the way through 2 or 3 times, which is the number of times this old codger has to be exposed to new knowledge before it completely sinks in. Unfortunately, support is part of the deal when developing any product, software, insurance or even furniture.Context help, right click on features and a robust search routine in a good onboard help system is a far better alternative than voluminous .pdf files. A decent search routine here at AVSIM wouldn't hurt either! ;-,All that having been said, I still think jd provides good, courteous (MOST of the time :-) ) customer services -- especially considering how long he's been answering the same questions.

Guest Jeffhew

Hi JD,Not sure how far along in the process you are with RC5 but, if you need voices, I'd be happy to lend mine. I've no real accent to speak of anymore. However, I can revert to my native New England/Boston accent when I need to, and I can do it without sounding like a Kennedy. :-lol Best Regards,Jeff

keep watching these spaces. when we get ready, we'll be auditioning your voice, your microphone, and your lack of background noise. :-)