Sign in to follow this  
Snowfalcon

Busted Altitude-Bad Attitude

Flying into UAAA in PMDG MD-11.Told descend to FL150 QNH 1028.Set QNH to 1028Set autoflight to 15000 and start descent. leveling out at 15100 I hear.""Sir you have busted your altitude your assigned altitude is FL150 QNH 1028"I hit Ctrl+Shft+/ to hear the call again. Check the QNH setting everything shows me flying smooth at FL150. Of course I then get several busted altitude warnings in a row folowed by a scolding and how fisdo will be talking to me later. When I get told to descent to FL130 I hit the altitude and no problem but..Then I get vectored so far out that I'm out of range of the localizer. If I hadn't been paying attention and turned my self towards the airfield I would never have gotten an intercept. This is about the third time that has happened. The busted altitude is another thing though. Is there anywhay to confirm you are at your assigned in this program? If this was real life I would have broken my foot off in that ATC's...

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

what is the transition altitude of uaaa?if you were told to descend to fl150, the altimeter needs to be set to the standard pressure, not the local pressurejd

Trans level: FL69 Trans alt: 4860'are the specs for UAAA. You need to use standard pressure of 1013 mb or 29.92 in at or above 4860 feet. A transition level is the first commonly used flight level above the transition altitude. It is the TA that determines the threshold for whether using local or standard pressure. If ATC gives you a target altitude as a flight level set your altimeter to standard pressure. If it gives you your target altitude in feet use local pressure.The QNH is given in anticipation of descent below that for airport traffic patterns, etc.

i'm editing what i wrote. ron has plates that show the unusual transition altitude and transition level for UAAAjd

UAAA is in Kazakhstan so comes under Russian aviation rules where altitudes and flight levels are in metric, hence the funny numbers. :-)Is this something we should consider for v5 or can I hear you screaming from here? :-lolCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

ray, did you hear all the metric names i called you?i'll think about it for a milli-second :-)jd

ray, did you hear all the metric names i called you?What's the metric equivalent of proudfoot? :-lolI guess all your Kazakh customers are going to have to bide their time until v6... perhaps. ;-)You've got to hand it to the OP. Is he the first person in RC history to fly into Almaty? ;-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Careful everybody. Look where Snowfalcon is based out of:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reno-Stead_AirportHere's a link with resources for the Almaty airport charts:http://www.vatsim.net.ru/en/firs/uaaa.htmlwhere you'll find a flight level conversion chart for Chinese RSVM in meters and feet:http://www.ifalpa.org/rvsm/China%20RVSM%20Standalone.jpg

Ron,Have you seen the controller at Almaty airport?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/194516.jpgHigh five!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather