Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Expected decent rate ???

All, Well I am getting a little more comfortable with using RC4 and I like it very much... One question - I keep busting my altitude when requested to decend and getting the instruction about "I need you down there in 30 miles or less"... On several occasions I have started dowm immediately upon receiveing ATC instructions at a 2000 FPM rate - and - have not made it on time... Does RC4 have an expected decent rate when giving such instructions ??? What decent rate would be realistic ???Thanks,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

i don't think there is a specific rate of descent. but i always make it in my ms lear at a 1800fpm descent rate.what plane are you flying? can't you enter some numbers into the fancy fmc, and it gets you to where you need to be, when you need to be there?jd

Here's some ideas about estimating your descent to a target altitude:If you have an FMC put a range ring of 40 nm around your airport. If your ND shows descent trend arcs, adjust your descent rate and/or airspeed so the final arc terminates just before the range ring. To do this on a Boeing FMC use the FIX page and enter the airport code as the fix. Then in the scratchpad enter /40 and lsk the bearing distance line.If there is a VOR/DME close to your path about 40 nm out use DME readout to show how far out you are from the target altitude position. Adjust VS and/or IAS to be down in time.Some GPS displays show distance to destination. Subtract forty from that to know how far you have to go to be at target altitude.You'll find some "rules of thumb" at the following link and others:http://www.flightinfo.com/rulesofthumb.htmRemember also that slowing the aircraft ground speed keeping a constant descent rate by adjusting pitch and thrust adding drag if needed shortens the distance to the target altitude.If you feel you are coming in too high for a comfortable descent rate prior to approach request a lower altitude from center. An early increase in descent rate is acceptable at the higher altitudes.

Thanks for the responses guys...I guess what I was getting at - is - will RC4 give some instructions that are unrealistic to attain ??? I figured that if RC4 gave me an intsruction to "be down to XX altitude in 30 miles or less" - a 2000FPM decent should be able to do it - no ??? I was always following their instructions for altitude changes prior to the instruction...Maybe I'm just not decending fast enough... What is would the normal decent rate for a commercial airliner be ??? Would they go much past 2000 FPM ??? As far as what I am flying - I recently purchased the Coolsky/Flight1 Mad Dog Classic - and - I just can't get enough of it... It's about the only airliner I fly anymore...Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

make a .log, instructions pinned at the top.load the .pln before clicking debug.start the descent when requested, and make it, or not. then send me the .log.i'll see what is happening.what type of aircraft do you have specified on the plane information screen? prop, turbo or jet, or heavy. that makes a difference in the calculationsjd