Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

RELEASE WEEK UPDATE #4

Captains-I have completed building the release version of the 757, and would normally expect to move ahead with the release tonight (thursday) or tomorrow (friday.)There MAY be a minor snag, however....As I have previously mentioned, we have been waiting on a minor code fix from TRI...The fix is to correct a small problem in the way FLY!II displays day/night models. Currently, this bug causes FLY!II to lose track of the position of the landing gear visual model- which causes the gear to appear in the down position as the airplane transitions from day/night. It is a minor code problem, but Rich Harvey let me know that the minor fix we are waiting on did not work as he had expected, so it will take him a few additional days to sort the problem out and find a solution.I am currently consulting with the PMDG team and Rich to determine if we should move forward with the release BEFORE or AFTER Rich is able to secure a solution.The fix for this minor problem will not involve any code changes to the 757, so we are not concerned about a patch problem- but we ARE concerned with the perception of having released a sub-standard product because it is a visual problem.I am leaning toward waiting, which I know disappoints those of you who are eager to fly the airplane during the coming weekend.I'll be chatting with Rich and the PMDG team later today- and we'll keep you posted....I apologize for the hold-up...but sometimes I get to make those kinds of tough decisions.Robert S. RandazzoPrecision Manuals Development Group http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/coolcap.gifwww.precisionmanuals.com

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest GrantM

Good decision. Rather wait longer than receive less than PMDG's best. Thanks for placing a high value on quality.Got your email. Thanks for any effort you are able to make regarding the texture issue.Grant

Robert,I would have enjoyed doing some flying with your new bird this weekend. But after consulting my calender, i found out there are stilla few weekends left this year.Cant imagine great quality being a disappointment, even if it sometimes takes longer than expected. Its worth the wait. So no disappointment at all. Not trying to influence your decision ;-), just a customers opinion.Happy flyingAndy:-)

Guest jeffg

I hate to be the bad guy here but if its a quick fix when you get the information from TRI,I say release and send out a quick patch when done,as you were saying thats the only problem.I think most people will be spending the next few days getting to know the systems anyway.Thats my 2 cents I can wait but for such a small problem why wait. Jeff

Guest Roy

As I always says, quality takes time, so you just go ahead, take the time you need to make the quality we have grown to expect from PMDG. :-)(I'll be working this weekend anyways. Not that that has in any way influenced my opinion. :-) )One thing would be nice though, but I guess that would be difficult. It would be nice to have the manual. That way I could have it ready in print when the bird arrives. (Printing 250+ pages takes a long time on my slow printer :-( )Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Guest Mgarmy

I think that what is more important is to be kept informed. Whatever decision you take is irrelevant as you can much better judge your own circumstance than we can.Would be nice however to have a look at the manual.Take care,Mannie

Guest Fly II Pilot

Robert,I have no problem with waiting until it passes your strict quality standards, although I know I wouldn't be dissappointed with the way it is now...Patiently waiting an extra couple of days or even weeks won't hurt.Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaSyracuse, NYAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Rob,I understand your concerns about releasing at this point, but would still have to disagree with the others and encourage you to go forward with the release as scheduled.1. Based on your previous posts, you had already planned to release the bird before the new TRI patch became available (you said you were only waiting for Rich to confirm that the fix works, and not that the patch had actually been released). I gather that this was not a patch to be directly incorporated into the 757 download as with the 777.2. Even when the patch is released there is no guarantee that everyone will get this patch. In either case, you will still need a disclaimer advising that this patch is necessary in order for the landing gear issue to be resolved. Flightsimmers are generaly a pretty intelligent bunch. If you tell us that a forthcoming fix from TRI wil resolve this little issue, we will understand that.3. You can't see the landing gear from the cockpit. Most of us will probably stay there for the first week or two anyway as we study the manual and learn how this bird works.4. Your faithfull customers have been waiting a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery long time for this, and the release announcement this week has gotten us veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery excited (at least it has me).5. In your previous update (#3) you said release would happen "certainly by Friday". Some customers visiting the forum might be put off by this.6. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally want my PMDG 757 :-vuur :-ukliam :-grnmd :-bat Respectfully,Andrew

Hello RobertI sure can wait some more days! So please, take the time you need!And in addition, you can relax some days, because soon this forum once more will be flooded with postings! :)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Robert Just wait! Henrik