Sign in to follow this  

Trouble tuning the ILS

I have been having difficulty tuning in an ILS freq and course. According to the manual, the ILS should be tuned using the box on the center pedestal rather than the VOR knobs up on the glare shield. However, the center pedestal box does not seem to allow tuning. I can click on the tuning knob and it displays a freq other than the one I want. It will not let me tune other freqs with the mouse or select a course. Any idea what I am doing wrong (I am sure there is something obvious that I am missing)? I should mention that this is with the FMC fully programed with flight plan and destination runway info. Thanks for the help.Andrew

Andrew,I'm have the EXACT same problem. The center pedistal will accept the appropriate frequency yet the COURE is fixed at the wrong bearing. The Course is fixed and the course nob does not work. If you'll notice my CATIIIc that approach is done with the center pedistal ILS frequency tuned in. The manual states that once the frequency and the appropriate course is set in the center pedistal, press the Main console ILS button and the frequency and bearing will be automatically set to the center pedistal. This is not the case. I have yet to attemp an ILS approach using ONLY the MAIN consol VOL/DME. When I have tuned in the ILS frequency on the mail consol VOR/DME selector next to the MCP no ILS localizer or glideslope info is displayed on the main PFD (Artifical Horizon one). Robert any help would be appreciated.Thanks,David a.k. CB

Gents-To set up an ILS- you need to do a few things:1) (Main Panel) Press the VOR/ILS button so that all ----- appear in the windows.2) (Pedestal) Press the left tuner knob to activate the ILS receiver.3) (Pedestal) Tune the frequency using the same knob. You will note that the COURSE is set automatically using the FMC database for guidance. (If you are getting the reverse course- you should wait until you pass to the other side of the transmitter then press it again...this will correct the course.)4) (Throttle Console) Set the EHSI selector to ILS.That should work for you!Robert S. RandazzoPrecision Manuals Development Group http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/coolcap.gifwww.precisionmanuals.com

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,Two minor clarifications.1) <(If you are getting the reverse course- you should wait until

Dave-the ILS course is derived from the FMC database indeed (which is *partially* derived by the Fly!2 ILS database). You do NOT need to have an active FMC to shoot a localizer approach, HOWEVER, you need to be on the appropriate side of the localizer beacon to get the correct course, as sometimes, you'll have both sides of the runway with the same ILS frequency.This has been discussed in detail before: In real life, the Tower will only activate the localizer for the active runway, however in Fly!2, (or any other sim for that matter), there is no live Tower to do so, so what will happen is that you'll get the inbound course for that side of the localizer which is closer to you.I am sure Rich Harvey has explained this in the past, but I wanted to reiterate it for those who haven't seen it...

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Ok,I GET IT! heheThanks Leftris,Dave, CB