Sign in to follow this  
MELKOR

Memory Leak Royale with the 757

You may have been following my posts regarding my ILS CAT IIIproblems with the 757. Well, as I was attempting to reprothe problem last night, I noticed that my hard drive lightbegan to flash like mad, and performance began to drop - anindication that Fly! was swapping to disk. So, I decided torun Performance Monitor during a session, and lo and behold,I've found that Fly! was leaking memory in a MASSIVE way!!I've never had such issues with FLy! before, so the majorsuspect is the 757.Take a look at the following PerfMon screenshot, and you will seethat the "Virtual Bytes" peaks out at 1.3 GB! Whoa!Hey, if you PMDG guys need help tracking down the leak, I'mmore than willing to lend some assistance - I'm a seniorsoftware developer at a rather large American softwarecompany (no not that one!), and I've had some experience insuch areas. =)If you'd like my PerfMon log file (I'm use Win XP Pro), I'llmail it to you.- Bill Ruppel

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Okay, I've pinned down the memory leak - it occurs when I'musing the ILS system! I don't know at what exact moment theleaking begins - it could be when I tune the ILS frequencyin, or it could be when I engage LOC and then APP. But whatI know for sure is - the leaking does NOT occur until I am on an ILS approach. And it leaks like a sieve!I hope this helps you in nailing this rather nasty leak!:-hah- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Bill-thanks for making a detailed report! After you noticed that it was due to the ILS, I managed to nail the culprit.Unfortunately, the leak resides within the Fly!2 executable, so I have already emailed Rich Harvey about it, and will try to get him to incorporate it in the upcoming patch. Until then, I may just work out something as a workaround, but I am not positive I can get it to not leak...Thanks for a good catch, though!

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Bill-after an email exchange with Rich, I think I might have a solution.(To clarify a bit further - the Fly!2 executable isn't quite "leaking" memory, however, there was a misunderstanding on the use of an SDK function, thus the issue).Would you please email me atlkalamaras@precisionmanuals.com?I need to send you some test DLLs.Thanks!

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

LK-Didn't some fellow accuse us of providing inadequate technical support a few months ago?Good thing we're still inadequate. :-lolRobert S. RandazzoPrecision Manuals Development Group http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/coolcap.gifwww.precisionmanuals.com

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com