Sign in to follow this  

What am I doing wrong!? Help!

I can't seem to manage the 757 speed with the autothrottles! I was a pro at doing it in the 777, why is this so hard? I am certain I have everything pressed correctly (just like the 777) - I have the A/T switch armed, I dial in the correct speed. It seems to work FINE - until I start to descend. Once I get below 10000 ft, it starts to go slower & slower that whatever I have set in the speed setting in the MCP. I try pressing the dial for speed intervention, & it seems to just bleed speed. It seems to work flawlessly until I get below 10000 on the descent. ALSO: I can't seem to get the altitude to release on the final approach. Once I hit the APP & loc button to perfoem a CatIII approach, it only seems to go to whatever I have in the altitude window, & no further. My PFD shows alt hold, & it stays at whatever is in the altitude window. It wont descend any further. How do I "disengage" the alt hold button so the aircraft can commence the approach. In the 777, it used to be that the APP/LOC buttons would OVERIDE the alt hold button. This is really confusing to me. In shrot, the speed & altitude commande seem to be disobeying me once I get below 10000 feet. What am I doing wrong?Thank you to anyone who can help me! :-)Sincerely,Chris CatalanoPS: Is there no "speed tape" & speed trend indicator in the 757 like the 777 had on the LH side of the PFD? What about a schedule of flaps & when to deploy them like the 777? Thank you.

Chris,What mode is the A/T system displaying on the EADI when this is happening. Sounds like it might be stuck in a mode other than Speed,(FL CH or VNAV?) If it continues to bleed off speed with the A/T on and the Speed button illuminated, Press the Speed button on the MCP and ensure that the SPD mode annunciates on the EADI for the Thrust Management Mode. The Speed intervene function does not appear to operate by depressing the selector switch but depressing the SPD button on the MCP should force the throttles to maintain a specified A/S.RegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

If it continues to bleed off speed with the A/T on and the Speed button illuminated, Press the Speed button on the MCP and ensure that the SPD mode annunciates on the EADI for the Thrust Management Mode.thanks but not sure I underdstand - if the speed button is illuminated, how can I press the spd button on the MCP? Isn't this the same button you are referring to? What is the difference between the selector switch & the speed button?Sorry for being so dense.:-(Sometimes pressing the dial in seems to work (like when I begin my descent & I want to slow to 250 by the time I get to 10000 ft. I'll have to look at what is listed on the EADI like you said. Don't give up on me! :-)Thanks Chris Catalano

Chris,what you should be looking for is what I have circled in red on the picture of the EADI belowThere appears to be a problem with the MCP butttons when VNAV is engaged as the SPD button remains illuminated even when VNAV modes are active giving the illusion that the A/T Speed mode is active. Depressing the SPD button, even though is is already illuminated should bring up the display I have below which is A/T SPD mode. A/T system will maintain dialed in speed in this mode. Hope this helpsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Chris,Looks like Paul has a handle on the larger A/T issues, but missed the "P.S" question. There's no "speed tape" but if you look at the left edge of the EADI, you'll see three white diamonds and a magenta square. That's your speed trend indicator, and it shows your airspeed relative to the A/T commanded airspeed...if the magenta square is above the center diamond, you're faster than ordered, and if it's below, you're slower. I've found that the flap extension schdule that worked for the Fly!2K bird also works well for this one: 210 KIAS...FLAPS 1195 KIAS...FLAPS 5180 KIAS...FLAPS 15170 KIAS...FLAPS 20160 KIAS...FLAPS 25150 KIAS...FLAPS 30Remember to slow to the airspeed BEFORE deploying the flaps. Don't use the flaps as speed brakes. If you've set the airspeed for each waypoint into your FMC, it'll alert you when it's time to deploy the speed brakes. On the other hand...do try to stay ahead of the airplane! :-lolKurt KalbfleischAmerica West Virtual P88

Thank you all for the great & helpful info!CC

Chris,Just noticed, we hadn't addressed your Approach Mode/Descent Question,To start down, you have to dial the desire altitude into the Altitude window and then either selectV/S, or FL CH unless you are operating in VNAV and have a planned descent profile. Once you have reached your G/S intercept altitude the A/C will return to Altitude Hold until the G/S mode becomes active. The PMDG G/S is pretty finicky and won't engage until you are right on the money so if you are a bit high, you will not intercept and will keep on flying in Altitude Hold (not that I would know this). Once the G/s mode becomes active, A/C will begin descending down the G/S to touchdown. Should work like a champ. Good LuckPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg