Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Howland Island Scenery

Guest Heather 636

Hi Dan!I'm currently working on it and as soon as I get it figured out, I'll get back here with step by step instructions.I have discovered that you will also need Lae Aerocome, New Guinea (filename: aynz2.zip ).There's also another file, Howard IslandLae Aerodome ( filename: grassed.zip ) that changes the "hard, smooth" runway surfaces to realistic "bumpy, grassed," for more realism. I guess this one is optional as per your tastes.Back after while.Cheers!Heather

Dan - I had to look at the instructions twice also :-) . Put both of the .bgl files into the C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDScenery folder and put all of the texture files in the C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002Texture folder. It's really nice to have a stopping place in mid-Pacific again. I had some similar scenery in FS98 and was really glad to see it come back for FS2002.Trip

Guest Heather 636

Was a little confusing wasn't it.Nice little stop-over.Finally found these instructions and worked things out.FS2002 Scenery Howland Island, Oceana (USA Territory)Place both scenery files (afd, bgl) into your:"C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDScenery"++++++DO MOT PLACE INTO YOUR "FS2002WORLDSCENERY" !!!++++++Unzip texture zip dirctly into your MAIN FS2002 folder and NOT NOT "FS2002/texture" folder.Overwrite matching files automatically.You may either slide the texture bmp's into your texture folder or unzip in your normalmanner or whatever. Just make sure both files wind up in this folder as clean filesand not as a folder within the folder. They do notgo into the WORLD scenery folder!!! they go into your main FStexture folder.FS will make your directories for you on start up.Go to "go to airport" or "create flight" and for new search put "AMEL."Shows on map view, GPS, flight planner, etc.Cheers!Heather

Guest Heather 636

I'm obviously doing something wrong though because even though everything is there, the immediate area bordering the runway and where the building sits is white, no texture.Been fiddling around with it but nor getting anywhere.?????Heck with it. I'm going to bed and try again in the morning. Perhaps a fresh mind and a cup of coffee will give me a better perspective.Heather

Heather, did you install the textures in the FS2k2/texture directory? Be sure to check the archive didn't create another texture directory.. e.g. f2000/texture/textureJulian

I get the same thing as you with the white all around the runway. I ended up installing the scenery the same way I install all my other add-on scenery, ie;add-on scenery/howland/scenery --- add-on scenery/howland/texture, to finally get it to work. Still get the white border though. The other problem I am having is finding the Lae Aerocome airport. Earhart landed at Nadzab which is AYNZ, and that is supposed to be the same IAOC as the add on scenery. Can't seem to find it. Nadzab is there as the default scenery.The reason I am so interested in getting this to work is because I have ordered the CD from Tighar research, (wife is going to kill me when she sees what I spent $100.00 on) and am presently building an adventure series for the Earhart flight with all the actual weather she encountered and a narration along the way. I had been working on it for some time now and was really excited to see this new scenery come out.http://members.shaw.ca/dan_cyxc/sigcard.jpg

Guest Heather 636

You were right Julian. It had created a "texture" folder within the texture folder. Moved everything out of there and deleted the extra folder but still the same results; pointed in the wrong direction at the end of runway 9 surrounded by white.I don't know, maybe I need to drink some more coffee and wake up.Oh! Dan! I would REALLY like to see this project of yours when you have something tangible. Your playing in MY era! It's probably a good thing I wasn't around back then. If my mother thought she had a hard time controlling as it was . . . I all but give up on this Howards Island thing.Phooey!Heather