Sign in to follow this  

Sudden Frame rate drop

HelpCan anybody shed any light on thisAfter months of OK frame rates 12 - 14 fpsAll of a sudden I am getting after 3 or 4 mins fyling a drop to around 3 - 4 fps and even down to 1!!!I have a slow ish machine only Pent 550, but 512Mb ram and a Radeon 64Mb graphics card.I have changed nothing no drivers and have installed no new add ons or drivers, I have loads of swap space?Hope somebody can help, I did do search but found nothing like this

First check to make sure that the virus scan program is not running in the background. This tends to kill the application. Also, have you done a defrag of the drive latelty? This may help. Also, clean out your Temporary Internet Folder (Before Defrag). The more this fills up, the slower your machine can become. Hope this helps,Mark

Thanks MarkI should have had a go at that first,Anyhow thats not it, but it only happens when i am fyling in the UK ?weird

Guest Aidi

One small tip given to me was to go into the options/display and hit the default button on all three screens. Then reset the sliders to the level you find best and restart the sim.. Strange as it may seem but it does work. Might be what your in need of.. Give it a shot, you got nothing to loose.http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Hi PhilI had a similar experience recently (my machine is only PII-350) but I achieve frame rates at 16. However I have done most of my flying around Asia, Australia and New Zealand and then went flying in Europe. Found my GPS was set at 1000nm (from a previous flight)and there was so much data coming from all the European stations thht the frame rate plunged. Reset GPS to 200nm and problem solved.Hope this might help as an obscure solution.Mike

Just to add to the excellent advice already given. Trilinear or Bilinear filtering options can cause framerate decay over time. Switching from one to the other occasionally clears the bogged down performance (this is a bug IMO). Also try turning all sliders to absolute minimum, then gradually turn them up again until you identify the one that might be causing the performance loss. In my experience the frame rate hoggers, in descending order of relative influence are :ATCAutogenMesh complexityAircraft gauge qualityTexture detail (this often jumps to top of the list)Scenery ComplexityScreen ResolutionBest Regards,Rob Young

>Anyhow thats not it, but it only happens when i am fyling in >the UK ? I assume you are flying there quite a bit? In that case, your FS2002.cfg and the INDEX_FILE (both located in the main FS2002 folder) may have become corrupted, there could be double scenery entries in the INDEX_FILE, for example. In that case, just delete them, FS2002 will write new ones, as it assumes it's a fresh install.Hope this helps.Cheers,Gosta.