Sign in to follow this  

Will it be possible?

Guest cliff

Fact: Windows XP allows an authorised operator access into another specified computer.Fact: The trend is towards faster Internet connections.Bearing these facts in mind could it be feasible to have an experienced pilot/instructor see what we have on our screen and to teach as if we were sitting next to each other? If so could that be in the next few years?I

If the other site has also WinXP then you could invite the other person via MSN messenger or Outlook....In the background there will be a terminal session started and the invited party can take over the desktop but won't actually see what the other party is doing... because both users are working on the same PC with the same desktop only separated sessions...There are a lot of programs that will do this VNC (freeware) PC anyware etc...However you need a lot of ram and CPU power :(Easier is it to do via the instructor mode from FS2002 it self...Only you need a dedicated IP number on the Internet :-)awfEHAM

André

Guest cliff

Nope. I'm thinking of the instructor seeing exactly what's on my screen and being able to take over the controls if need be.I imagine him verbally telling me what to do, watching me do it and correcting me when necessary.I doubt that we've reached the stage where our computers and our connections to the Net are yet anything like fast enough but that must surely only be a matter of time.I can imagine a new "industry" developing where experienced pilots hire out their time and make their living teaching full time over the Net. This would open up new opportunities for pilots who may have lost their license for health reasons to earn money using their skills to teach.And I can also forsee great numbers of pilots giving their time and skills free to those who can't afford to pay or who want a less intensive series of lessons.I'm querying whether this dream is practical and the time frame that may be involved.Regards,Cliff

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Cliff,it is possible as is with any windows version as long as the FS2002 is running on XP. It is called Remote Desktop, works like PCAnywhere or other software like it, and is included in standard in WinXP.Follow this link to download the client if you do not have WinXP as a client (remember the FS2002 PC -server- that share its display to others has to be on WinXP)http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/dow.../rdclientdl.aspHope it helps!

Cliff,This is *exactly* what Flight Instructor (comes with FS2K2 Pro) does -- each person sees what the other sees, and either one can handle the controls.Try it (assuming you have the Pro version -- if not, it's well worth the money) -- it's really very cool. All you need is a connection between the machines (internet, intranet or network). When I first introduce people to FS I have them go downstairs to my wife's machine and I sit in the instructor's seat upstairs. I call them on the speaker phone on our other line and we talk back and forth (but it does tie up both our phone lines -- I might need something like Roger Wilco or some such voice communication product but I haven't gone there yet).

This won't work because it's the terminal client you are downloading and I'll use the same client for Win2K to administrator our Servers in our network (work also via http and the browser, however you need to write some code nice feature)The terminal session takes over the client desktop (remote desktop) however they don't see the same actual screen output, for example one is running the desktop the other via a terminal session (the client you are referring to) FS2002... One is seeing the desktop and the other FS2002 quite cool :-)There is other software however if you are going to sent the whole screen you need a lot of ram and CPU.You could also do this with other software that sends only the data :-)But as mentioned the simple way is via the instructor mode of FS2002 Pro.awfEHAM

André

Guest cliff

Good to hear from you again, Mike.The phone...therein lies the rub. My wife and I run a small business and need the line free at all times. Hence my changing to an ADSL line which leaves the phone free to use while I'm on line 24 hours a day.Also, as I now live in Spain, it would be prohibitively expensive to use the phone with an instructor in another country.Do you know whether voice communication is practical without use of the phone? And please don't be a smart ##### and suggest shouting!!Regards.............Cliff

There's something called Roger Wilco which, as I understand it (and I may not -- haven't checked it out fully) allows you to communicate through the internet with someone else using it. It's freeware (at least there *is* a freeware version floating around somewhere -- there is also a spyware version, and a $20 version) and a lot of people are apparently using it for FS communications.I'd certainly check it out if I were you -- I just don't have the time to do *half* of what I want to do with FS (for one thing, I keep downloading these wonderful freebies and never get around to installing them. Sigh).