Sign in to follow this  

Best AI Aircraft to use?

Hi All,I spent the better part of an hour searching through the archives here so now it's time to ask the regulars!! :-)I've started playing around with TTools and yRoute and am asking those of you with more experience which aircraft you use as AI? I read somewhere that any GMAX aircraft is great as it won't deteriate your frame rates but there are a few non-GMAX aircraft I would like to use and am wondering on the performance hit I may take.Any and all help is much appreciated!!Thanks in advance.Mike

It depends on the aircraft how much performance hit there is. I have a few FSDS planes running around with no noticable hit. I've also had to remove a few Gmax aircraft which turned FS2002 into a slideshow when used as AI. The most noticable difference between FSDS and Gmax aircraft is that Gmax allows you to see the propellers, turbines, and landing gear on the AI's.

Ok, Here is my formula for the best frame rate friendly AI Traffic. Download World Ai Traffic, which can be found here (worldai10a.zip )this is a great set of world flightplans. Next go to Project Global Fleet here http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/GlobalFleet/index.html and download their installer, this is a group of guys that are creating only aircraft to be used as AI Traffic, Their installer has over 100 different AI Aircraft in beta so far. Next go to Project AI site and download their first release of Ai Traffic. (This one might be difficult if these guys don't have their site up yet, but maybe you had a chance to download their aircraft before the first site went down.) I think you said you already have TTools, AIShuffler. Now, backup your original traffic.bgl, and install the Project AI Setup, this alone will install a nice Ai traffic set, but why stop there. Next install and download the over 100 Project Global FLeet Aircraft. I hope you have DSl or Cable otherwise the download will take a while, but you only need to download the aircraft once, then run their application on occassion to get the newest aircraft, and updates to previous aircraft, also you can select which aircraft to download. Next, decompile the World AI traffic.bgl with ttools, and copy the three output files to your AIShuffler folder. Run AI Shuffler which by default will have only the default aircraft selected for use. I then placed a checkmark to include the Project GLobalFleet Aircraft and a checkmark to include the Project AI aircraft in the shuffle. (If you want to include other aircraft, it's up to you, but that's usually where I end up with slideshow traffic) run the shuffle with AIShuffle which will read the World AI Flightplan and use the aircraft from Project AI and Project GlobalFLeet. Finally compile the three files back into a traffic.bgl, and basically what you have is, FLightplans from World AI, and aircraft from Project AI and Project GLobalfleet. Using this method, I have to race aircraft to the runway at SFO, or I will have to wait at the back of the line until the aircraft ahead of me depart. I'm also geting between 15 and 20FPS with ATC on 100%. One final thing, download AIspeed here at AVSIm, to speed up you traffic taxi speed, and use AFCAD to set you main airports (with multiple runways) to use one for takeoffs, and one for landings, otherwise, you'll be sitting behind other aircraft for a while. Good Luck.

The aircraft are top notch quality, frame rate friendly, and they have 186 different liveries so far, variations of 737,747,777,RJ85,B1900D,A320s. You just need to install their client software which will connect to their library and install or uninstall any of the aircraft. Very slick concept and execution.

Just an update to my above post. I am using AI Traffic Mover to shuffle my aircraft, instead if AI Shuffler. AITM is freeware, and it has a few more features, though I mainly use it's shuffler features.

There are 4 pages of downloadable aircraft at my site (url below) Most are GMAX originals or repaints of stock FS2002 aircraft, and are suitable for AI traffic.

I use old FS98 planes. Sure they don't look as good as gmax birds or have landing gears, but I can have 30 of those where I could only have 5 gmax birds