Sign in to follow this  
Guest Martin

I just downloaded some water replacement textures

Guest Lindy

I know it's all old hat to you guys, but when I unzipped the download, it created a file called "waterrep" and gave me absolutely no clue as to what to do with it.... where to put it...... etc. There was a ReadMe but no installation instructions.I'm sure it must seem to be a total waste of time to include installation instructions/hints/guides, etc. with the files since "everybody already knows" what to do. Unfortunately, not everyone does know. This is my first time with any version of MSFS and a little help as to what to do with the file would have been greatly appreciated.I'll research the FAQ and the tips/tricks documentation on another site and will figure this all out. But Developers remember: there are lots of new people just starting with MSFS. Help us out a little bit, please. :-smooch-Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest Martin

If I'm thinking about the same textures, it should be a whole bunch of .bmp files that go in a texture directory somewhere... Um, and that file came with instructions. Filenames are oceanstx.zip (textures) and oceansfx.zip (water effects).They look great up close, but from high altitudes it doesn't match the color of the water further away, so it looks really odd, and I removed the new textures.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest Lindy

Thanks Martin, but I don't think it's the same file. This one definitely had no installation instructions, although it WAS full of bmp(s).I don't particularly want to just scatter all the bmp/s in a folder someplace. Then if they don't work (or I just don't like them), I'd never find them all. *smile* Maybe I'll just put the folder "waterrep" in my FS folder and see what happens. hehehehe-Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest Joe

Lindy,At some point I downloaded the same ocean textures that you mentioned in your post. But....Since I started using Ed Truthan's effects (OCEANSFX.ZIP) and textures (OCEANSTX.ZIP), I've not looked back. It's a large download but worth it.Also, there is a small but very helpful program (ofx10sa.zip) by Johan de Vries that will load all the different effects and textures.Here is a copy of the file ID text....FS2002 OceanFX -- Stand-alone front-end forEd Truthan's oceans effects and textures. Enables the user to select the desired wavesand textures through the use of a Windows application. Stand-alone version: requiresOCEANSFX.ZIP and OCEANSTX.ZIP.Freeware by Johan de Vries.Check it out!EDIT: As far as installing the file you downloaded, I think they replace files in ...C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDTexture.BACKUP!!! Joe

I agree with Joe. For the realism, it is Ed Truthan's water or Fs2002's default. I even think his is the only water add-on that preserves original FS2002's water depth data - which is very good and absolutely essential for final effect.Michael J.

Guest Lindy

....I'll need to check out these files from Ed Truthan.And I appreciate the tips about getting the file I DID download installed.But basically I also wanted to remind developers that us newbies need some serious hand holding in order to be able to install files where they need to be. Y'all can't assume we know what we're doing!!! LOL-Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest cwright

>But basically I also wanted to remind developers that us newbies need >some serious hand holding in order to be able to > install files where they need to be. Y'all can't assume we know >what we're doing!!! LOL Absolutely. However simple or complex the installation, there really should be installation instructions. Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy FS2002 as much as I have. Best regards, Chris

Guest Martin

How about the bad match of the textures and the water further away when viewed from, say, FL350? Since such a large portion of most flights I do are way up there, I don't want to look at a small patch of textures and a bit further a way suddenly much lighter colored water. Is there a way to make the "long range" water match the textures better?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing