Sign in to follow this  
Guest J_Niny

FS Navigator 4.x Vs. Flight Manager

Guest byoung

I would like to hear some debate on these two flight planners, and any others people are using..According to the web sites, it appears that Flight Manager has more features (imports the weather, etc)Would like to hear comments...Thanks!Barry

Guest byoung

No reply..Just re-submitting.Barry

Hi Barry,I can only comment on FSNAV. IMHO it is the one of the top 5 add-ons for MSFS ever. The features and seemless integration with FS make it a part of every flight for me. It is a must if you fly online! Have fun!BobP :)

FSNav is a FS module,it works inside the FS window. Its a basic flight planner, but it also is a moving map display for FS2000 with a semi GPS/FMS included. Its drag and drop interface makes it easy to use, which is probably why its so popular. Its a nice reference tool for looking up information about airports and Navaids as well.Flight Manager is a better overall Flight Planner IMO, it supports more planning features, has a more detailed map than FSNav. But it also has a steep learning curve, it can be very difficult to setup and learn. The concept of making 'charts' to create a flight plan has had many throw in the towel. But FM it also has its ardent supporters.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I only use FSNav, as I have not expanded my horizons.It is an awfully good program, and when combined with a second monitor, one will never go back. In fact, it's an absolute must.I'm hoping that someday the folks at FSNav will incorporate some kind of a decent geographical map grid option (showing more detail than right now, such as state/country boundries) into their screen overlays.When this happens, the program will go from very very good to absolutely awesome !!!Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Guest byoung

I know FS Nav is a module add on... But to do all that monitoring does take up resourses... Even though my machine is equipped to handle it.At this point I am leaning more toward FS Manager.Thanks!Barry

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Barry,I would also comment to also consider it from a different perspective. The display of boundaries is already a feature of the default FS2002 GPS/MFD. For flight planning, FS Manager or FS Nav are both excellent. For the best situation awareness: Airspaces (class C, D, MOA...), waypoint information (airport maps, country / state, elevation, frequencies, sunset / sunrise, Minimum Safe Altitude and Minimum Enroute Safe Altitude plus a lot lot more!!!) there is only one add-on: Reality XP (www.reality-xp.com) This thread has it all: http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/4744.html#16Hope it helps!