Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

General question MS scenery

Hi simmers,For an experienced simmer this may be a rather stupid question, but I just don't know how to handle the following problem.At some airports (using default scenery) the scenery is flashing grass textures through the concrete textures. Sometimes (e.g. at KMSP) the grass textures come through and replace the concrete.Is anyone of you familiar with this problem and does anyone of you have the solution?Thanks!Peter,The Netherlands

Guest Heather 636

G'Day Peter!Just to let you know that you are not the only one who experiences this problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes it and why it only happens at some airports and not at others.Like yourself though, I would certainly appreciate a "fix".Sincerely,Heather

Guest Navigator

Hi Peter,The same occurred to me. It was due to interference from an add-on scenery. When I disabled all my add-ons everything was OK. By adding them again, one at a time, I could find the "bad" one.If you only use the default scenery without add-ons, then I

Peter,I noticed the same problem at KMSP while doing some work for Noble Virtual Airlines. I was able to fix it. If others are interested, I can make a small file and post it at this site. It might be worth while to get a thread going so I can have a list of all the airports that are affected this way. The fix will only affect default airport scenery. I don't know how addon scenery will be affected. Worth a try though.Page

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Page,nice you have found a fix to solve this! Could you tell us what makes it happend ?Thanks in advance!

Peter I wish I could be of help but interesting enough the flashing concrete/grass etc problem for me has gone away. The puzzling part of this is that I dont know why and Im not sure when I discovered it was gone. It could have been my new GeForce4, the addition of 3rd party landclass stuff, who knows. I know this post is absolutely no help to you but and Im sure with all the sharp folks out there that utilize these forums that in the future someone will figure out why.RegardsBobG

Basically, it's a flattening problem. I can create a small file that will change the airport, KMSP, altitude by a few feet so the concrete will stay in place. If you want to see how it works, you can download Noble Air's file at www.nobleair.com/hubs/lax/fs2000/gatescenery.html You'll get a lot of other airports too, but the particular file is KMSP_NBL.bgl. Just load it temporarily in FS2002Scenery so that FS will read it.

Peter,Probably by Jun 24th, you should be able to download from this site a file I just uploaded: KMSP_fix.zip. It should do away with the grass textures coming through the concrete. If you know of any other airports with this problem, let me know where they are. I'll see what I can do.Also, in a somewhat related matter, I've noticed a couple airports, e.g., KOAK and KMCI, which are missing aprons altogether in the default sceneries. I could probably do something about that too. Unfortunately, there are over 22,000 airports in FS2002 and I won't live that long to check them all out. If you have a list, e-mail me at:pageruthcline@msn.com

Guest 727Fan

Well I don't have the comprehensive list, but in addition to KMSP, I remember it happening at Reno, NV, KRNO.I'm glad to hear there is a fix. I remember back in January there was discussion about the phenomena occuring at some Northern latitude airports. But it doesn't occur at, for instance, Milwaukee, or some other Northern airports.

No, it doesn't occur everywhere. I've been to quite a few airports (over 225 so far) all over the world doing gates & passenger stairs for Noble Air VA. KRNO was one of them, and I believe you're right about it having the same problem. Just a min, I'll check...yep, I had to fix it too. Will upload the fix tomorrow.

Guest cwright

Peter, this is a known problem with FS2002 (it's referred to as 'bleedthrough') but Microsoft aren't going to fix it. There is a well established solution that works for most people. I have to do it every time I run FS2002. In options, simply switch off T&L and return to the sim. Then go straight back to options and switch T&L on again. Like me, you may need to do this every time you run FS. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

>Hi Chris, >>Is that in FS2K2 Options ? Rob, when running FS, select Options from the menu. Then select Settings, and finally Display. Then click on the Hardware tab. You'll see Transform & Lighting on the right hand side. To speed things up, with the ALT key continually pressed, press the o, e and d keys in succession. That'll take you straight to the Display menu.>And what is T&L ? It stands for Transform and Lighting, a standard feature for graphics cards for the last few years. It takes over some of the graphics burden from the main processor (e.g. the Pentium) and allows better graphics effects to be implemented while giving better frame rates. Now you know as much about it as I do! Best regards, Chris