Sign in to follow this  
brandon

ATC voice correction package

Guest lmoelleb

I am currently working on a small utility to correct and add words to the default ATC voices.I have it running for airlines now (it takes me aproximately one to two minutes to add a new airline, including writing the change back to the voicepack so Flight Simulator can pick it up).The modifications can be redistributed as a small xml file defining which section of which word to assemble into the new word.Before releasing the tool, I still have to add support for modifying airport names and aircraft models and, worst of all, I have to write some documentation :)Anyway, I plan to include a sample file that will add some airlines (Southwest, Easy, Maerskair, etc) as well as correct some of the problems in the ATC files. Currently I have identified the following things needing fixing:1) Airline "Argentina" does not work due to a space in the keyword2) Voice 7 have mixed up a number of phrases: Eastern/Eagle Flight, Cathay/China Southern/Chautauqua/Citrus.3) Voice 4 have Copenhangen/Praha and Rosecrans/Sacramento mixed.4) Voice 3 have Indy/International mixed.If anyone is aware of further mistakes, please let me know so I can include fixes for it. If any big airlines have been left out besides Southwest, please let me know as well - but please understand that I will only include a few airlines due to the limited time I have available.

Here's a few:Airlines:- Moroc Air should be Maroc Air (or Morocco Air). And anyway, the real call sign of Royal Air Maroc seems to be Royalair Maroc.- There are a few other discrepancies, but nothing big.Manufacturers (the ATC_TYPE entry):First, you can notice that MS has added some aircraft names in the manufacturer list. I guess that's because sometimes, aircrafts are called directly by their name, without specifying the manufacturer, particularly for well-known aircrafts.The entry (and most importantly, the result in FS2k2) Bandierante is misspelled. It should be Bandeirante.Same applies to Chieftan (should be Chieftain).Same applies to Curtis (should be Curtiss).Same applies to Northrup (should be Northrop).Aircraft types (the ATC_MODEL entry):MS has added some manufacturer info for these entries, and made many mistakes, but these are for information only and don't affect FS, so it doesn't matter.The entry ARVA returns Avara. It should be Arava.The C175 entry returns Cardinal, the C177 returns Skylark. It should be the other way round (both are Cessna aircrafts).The entry E110 returns Bandierante, it should be Bandeirante (just like in the manufacturer list, but I guess you have to correct both occurences).The entry H66 returns Commanche helicopter (it should be Comanche with one "m").There are some designators errors (compared to real life) but I guess it's ok as long as you're aware of them.There you go. Sorry for giving you work to do, but you asked. ;-)E-mail me if you need more info.__________________________________________________________EricList of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

I disassemble the .GVD file for 3 and 10 voice. I have noticed that not all the pilots have all the voices. Did you observe this detail?.Thanks a lot.Jose Olliver

Guest lmoelleb

No - but I do not have the file disassembled - and my program isn't scanning the file to see if it is a problem.

A quick one to adjust is for the Irish Airline Ryanair whose callsign is RYANAIR. I believe the RYAN in the voice pack is a US based airline.From what I can see MS only used Airlines that Fly IN or to the US, which is why there are so many missing.Another couple would be BRITISH the callsign of BA Regional and JERSEY the callsign of Jersey European.While not an Airline Callsign I am surprised MS did not add REACH the USAF transport callsign and ASCOT the RAF transport callsign both heard regularly flying the pond and around the world.Sounds like this will be a great utility,Thanks,Steve.

Steve,Ryan is thellsign of Ryanair,not ryanairegards,Seba

Guest lmoelleb

OK, here is the current status before I go to bed (local time 00:02, and I only got 4 hours of sleep last night as I was programming this - and it's Monday tomorrow....) :)I have now redone the callsigns I already made (all the mentioned corrections and additions) after I managed to save an empty file on top of the one containing them. I did a few others while I was at it (even included Jersey before reading about it here as it was so easy - Jersey is already present in a single wave file).At least I got confirmed that the tool can be used to generate callsigns quite fast - as mentioned, it has to require a complex combination of existing words before it takes more than two minutes to add the new word. :)I also got around to writing some documentation beleive it or not (my boss won't).All in all, I think we are ready for a beta ride by tomorrow - if you are interested, please let me know by posting here or dropping me an email (larsm@xs4all.nl).If you want to be included in the beta (well, also if you want to run the final program), you must have the .Net framework installed (available on the Windows Updates page). I know it is a hazzle to download and install, but it allows me to develop the program in half the time it would take with C++ or VB 6.0 (the new version of VB also requires the .Net framework).What I would really like is someone to read the documentation to see if it contains what is needed for people not familier with the voicepack SDK from Microsoft (warning: I haven't even been running the documentation through a spell checker, so it's as bad as this email). A check for inconsistent or misleading GUI text would probably be a good idea as well.I have mainly (ok, only) done actual testing with airline callsigns, so if someone is interested in trying adding names for airports or aircrafts it would be helpfull./Lars

Guest Martin

Many aircraft designators are "double". For example, for a Fokker F27, the atc_type is "FOKKER", and the atc_model is "F27". But F27 is heard as "Fokker turboprop", so combining "FOKKER" and "F27" results in ATC calling the plane a "Fokker Fokker turboprop". This happens with many other aircraft too ("Cessna twin Cessna").(It may seem that a solution to this is simply leaving the atc_type line blank, but that will cause ATC to call the aircraft "Experimental Fokker turboprop" instead.)With Fokker there are a few other errors too: The only Fokker that's called "Fokker turboprop" is the F27, even though the F50 is also a turboprop, but for some reason MS decided to call it a "Fokker jet".Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Mexicana should be pronounced Meh-hee-cana since I often hear them flying over me on the scanner. I noticed the default pronounces it the American way, hehe. Also if possible, Aero California would be awesome to have :)

I have done LifeGuard. If you are interested please send me an email and I would be more than happy to send you it.

Sorry Seba but you don't know what you are talking about.Ryanair fly into my local airfields Cardiff EGFF and Bristol EGGD and the callsign is always RYANAIR. ICAO code RYR . I listen to them regularly on my scanner.Check the ICAO airline callsign lists at www.planespotting.nl/icao-pr.htmlRYAN should be RYAN INTERNATIONAL a U.S. airline callsign ICAO code RYNSteve.

There's a workaround for that. Just type anything but a correct entry for the atc_type line. That way, it'll say nothing. But I agree with you, that wasn't very clever from Microsoft.__________________________________________________________EricList of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

Guest Martin

Thanks, I didn't know that! That's the way it works with airline callsigns too so I should have been able to guess it. :-)I'm off to edit some aircraft.cfg files...Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest lmoelleb

Hmm, Challenge Air Cargo is really easy to do - I think I can just copy the sound from the existing airline called "Challenge Air Cargo"... hey, wait a minute... :)Anyway, added the other two you suggested, and some of the other stuff mentioned here. I decided not to correct any spelling mistakes at present... I probably even added one or two myself. :)The only beta feedback I got so far is that I need a few adjustments before it will work with localized versions of Flight Simulator - it should not give any problems to do this adjustment however. But the beta phase have only been running a couple of hours, and some of the participents probably don't even know they are participating yet, as they might be at school or work. :)/Lars