Sign in to follow this  
Guest moshe_be

How to handle VATSIM ATC ALT instructions?

Guest moshe_be

If the ATC tells me to fly 5000ft after departure, what is the best way to do it?Right now, I set the MCP Alt to 5000. But when the plane gets there, VNAV disconnects.

Set 5000' on the MCP and manually fly or engage LVL CH after flaps retraction. You should be able to engage VNAV after cleared to your route... PS, it's correct for VNAV to disconnect when reaching an altitude other that your FMC set CRZ ALT. FMA will go MCP SPD/ALT HLD (real aircraft goes FMC SPD/ALT HLD) this too will be changed ;)... If you reset the MCP altitude to you crz alt you will be able to engage VNAV once cleared by ATC....[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

So everything is working as advertised ;-) ;-)Simply follow the instructions you get by resetting the ALT on the MCP and do a FL CH or V/S. This can be done right upto the cruise alt you filed or, after receiving your clearance to the filed alt you reset your MCP to this alt and then engage VNAV. The latter would also set you up for a descent but since you are flying online you would probably receive instructions for that too so you would fly this with the V/S and FL CH options again... This ofcourse does nothing for LNAV so you would still be following the FP you filed but it would make for a more realistic flight. I don't believe that irl VNAV is ever pressed at 400 feet to remain on untill touchdown ;-)Willem

Guest amerton

You can fly VNAV until the constraint, hit it, and then re-engage VNAV when you get cleared.Later on we will implement the VNAV ALT carrier option, where VNAV will not disengage, and level out in VNAV ALT mode. No big difference, as the input needed is about the same :VNAV ALT : reset MCP alt and click ALT selectorno VNAV ALT : reset MCP alt and engage VNAV...cheersAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

Guest moshe_be

Thanks :)That's what I was doing, wanted to know it's the proper way.

VNAV can be en-gaged at 400 AGL but I have yet to find a procedure for this. In fact it is not a very good idea to engage VNAV untill the flaps are retracted on the NG. You are also correct that no aircraft ever goes full VNAV for a flight, there will always be ATC vectoring that is not always the easy way to input into the active route and where V/S and LVL CH come in handy. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]