Sign in to follow this  
KevinAu

FSD Cessna 421

>The Cheyenne's panel is so dark that I have trouble reading >some of the instruments, the ASI in particular. >When I raised this issue with FSD I was told that I must be >visually impaired, even though I've never had such a problem >with almost any other panel.When faced with this image it is hard to relate your comment to it. How clear would you like it ... ? Unretouched, zoomed-in image of the C400 ASI.http://www.fsd-international.com/temp/visually_impaired.jpg>Their response prompted me to vow not to purchase anymore of >their products. We are happy with that outcome because sometimes you cannot satisfy everybody. No matter what you do, or how hard you try : it's just life. >Of course I relented when the much acclaimed C421 appeared >on the scene recently. Would this perchance be the much acclaimed C421 that is not an FSD product ? >But sad to say similar problems manifested themselves. >The instruments, which one reviewer described as razor >sharp, are in some cases hard to read, especially the very >blurry ASI. http://www.fsd-international.com/temp/visually_impaired2.jpgHere we have two separate designs : one is Gmax, and one FSDS. One with gauges by Tim Dickens, the other by Nick Jacobs. Two designs by two separate design studios, the only common link being myself and I do neither gauge programming or art. It is interesting that you express dissatisfaction with both AND for same shortcoming. The are no project common denominators and yet your perception is identical. What is the ONLY common link ? Your hardware. Which from your post sounds like what you would have had explained to you. The truth is no user likes to believe there is anything awry with their computer but this is usually what ends up being discovered. Is it probable this would have been explained if you wrote but can't find your memo, or name from your nom-de-plume. I'd say you have an image quality setting wrong in FS, or a broader Windows display issue in general.>The virtual cockpit is even worse. >Unless you are flying with the sun immediately behind you >the instrument panel is a black mass with almost nothing >decipherable. Or you may even have a monitor or display adapter Gamma setting. You cannot display a high-density panel on a lousy (and maybe undersized) monitor and expect to get good results. Look at what Larry commented on regards a 21" display. >Switching on the panel lights makes no difference at all. Because in GMax designs there is (so far) no gauge back-lighting possible, which is why both the C421 or Archer (another non-FSD project) do not have it. Look at the C400 panel in the dark : what do you see ? Crystal clear illumination. But it is FSDS.To me ... it sounds like you need to go to Nokia.com or similar and get their monitor test pattern / calibration software ...>Then there are the throttles which in the 2D cockpit seem to >suffer from a medical condition known as St Vitus Dance. >They are constantly moving up and down. >It's also impossible to make the throttles move smoothly >when adjusting the throttle setting ... they move in a >staccatto fashion. This is definitely a developer problem. A game controller developer issue, that is, as this is usually associated with game controller drivers, which in general do not all seem to have caught up with WinXP / Win2000 yet. Raise this with your game controller's manufacturer.>There are now many freeware products available which are the >equal of or better than FSD's latest offerings. Try and remember that FSD did NOT produce the C421. >No doubt these comments will get up the nose of the many >diehard FSD supporters but I, for one, feel shortchanged by >the C421 and the Cheyenne. Useful feedback is important, but sometimes the real problem is closer to home than some may (initially) like to admit ...

It seems the 421 is suffereing from a case of mistaken identity. The 421 Golden Eagle was developed and published in-house by Flight One Software. However, I can't think of a better group than FSD to be mis-identified with :)If you can't read the gauges at night in the 421, I would suggest you use the config manager that's included with the 421C. You can change the color and/or brightness to anything you desire in the panel and VC.Yes, the throttle quadrant levers do indeed have a gritchy movement in the 421 2D panel and they will be replaced in the soon to be released service pack.The Flight Director and several other features will be added as well as an option for DXT textures in Text O Matic. The service pack will be available soon.

>Yes, the throttle quadrant levers do indeed have a gritchy >movement in the 421 2D panel and they will be replaced in >the soon to be released service pack. >Since you said this as "fact"............. I had to crank up the C421 again for a look-see. With two different flights & enough moving the throttles all over the place, I could get a few "jiggles". They would jiggle a few times & then stop. This does require moving the throttle to certain spots though. They won't just constantly jump up & down the line of control movement. I do admit to usually flying the VC mode when in full panel & missing out on any jiggles. I'm using a Saitek X45 joystick with seperate throttle control. Maybe the fact that this control is newer & less "dusty" parts.......... helps!L.Adamson

Hehehe, yes, I'm a VC addict as well :)The "jiggles" as you say is a different matter I agree and probably due to dirty pots in the controller.If dirty pots or poor joystick calibration are to blame, this symptom would also occur in VC view and not only in the 2D panel mode.Regardless, we have replaced the 2D panel levers for smoother operation from zero to full throttle in the coming service pack :)Thanks,

>The Flight Director and several good news indeed. But will it work correctly ?Michael J.

Larry, I stand corrected. You were right about the levers. The levers I was referring to were in a beta version of the 421. That was fixed before it's release :)Also as an aside, by in-house, I meant that it was published and developed by Flight One and not by FSD, although two of the largest outside contributions came from Steve Small and Nick Jacobs :)Thanks,

Michael:Yes, the flight director works correctly......IF...the user understands it's purpose.A machine is only as good as the operator controlling it.Ben Beverly421C Beta Test PilotBen's Hangar

Thanks Ben :)We have elected to install a Flight Director to the 421 because many have requested it. Why wasnt it installed previously? Frankly because I never use it in the real 3968G. Austin and I fly 3968G in all phases of weather, severe IFR, severe VFR and I cant tell you one time that he or I have used the FD for anything. Actually there is no reason why the aircraft cannot be totally controlled by the AP and or hand flying without reference to the floating bars. But to each his own. So be it, we have now included it because it is significant to many of our users and was warranted by a reasonable amount of requests. That alone is valid enough. Do we purposly leave out things hopeing that you wont notice?Hopefully my track record is a little better than that... Regards,Jim Rhoads

>Michael: >>Yes, the flight director works >correctly......IF...the user understands it's >purpose. Sounds reassuring but we must wait and see. I have seen similar well meaning assurances before and same qualifiers "IF you know how .." only to be faced with inop device (a mere pointer). But I figure if even Microsoft can get it right it can't be that complicated ... :-lolAnd why would one ever use a FD ? A few reasons - not all ILS can be flown with AP coupled and many pilots want to practice hand flying just for currenncy.Michael J.

I will look forward to the service pack and I thank the developers for their quick response.

>Thanks Ben :) >>We have elected to install a Flight Director to the 421 >because many have requested it. Why wasnt it installed >previously? Frankly because I never use it in the real >3968G. >>Jim Rhoads I don't think personal styles of use should influence a development project. There are numerous things on the ERJ that I personally hardly ever touch, but still we include them for the sake of completeness. Once you set out to replicate an airplane, whether you like a system or don't like a system should not matter. The only thing that should matter is that the system is there and if your goal is a faithful replication, an effort should be made to include as much of it as possible.Anyways, thanks for taking heed, it only makes a near perfect package perfect.