Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray CYYZ

737 vs 747 altitude procedures?

Guest Ray CYYZ

Ok, I'm a bit baffled with the 737. I managed to fumble my way through and get her started and the FMC programmed without much problems as things are not that radically different but ...On a 747 or 777, I'd set MCP ATL to the constraint (SID) then move it up to cruise alt by resetting the MCP and clicking the ATL dial once clear of the restriction ...What's the method for the 737? I can't click the MCP ALT to transfer the new ALT to the FMC, so what do I do, or am I just in a primative version now where these nice things don't exist any longer?Ray

Guest cboyes

RayTry clicking the Lvl Chg button on the MCP once you have entered the new altitude into the ALT window. Alternatively you can click on V/S and dial in the vertical speed you want.

Guest Ray CYYZ

So VNAV is only partially implemented in a 737 compared to one of it's big sisters? I presumed Lvl Chg equates to FL CH, just wondered how VNAV equates. Obviously one can simply use this or hard set a V/S to intercept the new flight level, but that just seems old fasioned x( Ray

Guest cboyes

RayI can't comment on how VNAV is implemented in a real 737 - this is well outside my area of expertise. You should be able to use VNAV instead of Lvl Chg or V/S modes, and in many cases you can, but I'm sure you are aware if you've been monitoring this forum there are bugs in PMDG's implementation of VNAV - these bugs occur most commonly (I believe) in flightplans containing SID/STARs that have altitude constraints. PMDG are currently working to fix these problems. Not sure if your problem is related to a VNAV bug because you didn't mention VNAV in your original message.

I don't understand what you mean exactly. For the 737 NG you only set your CRZ ALT on the MCP for TO, the FMC does not need the MCP window ALT to know where to level off at a restriction although it will not go "ABOVE" or "BELOW" what is on the MCP. You can input the restriction altitudes on the legs page. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest ba747heavy

Basically, there is little difference between the 'big brother' and the 'little sibling' wrt pitch modes. In fact, they are almost identical, at least in my non-technical eyes. They work just about the same ;-)

Guest amerton

Ray,What you are describing is the alt intervention / VNAV ALT carrier option of the NG. This option is currently not implemented on out NG, so if you set the MCP alt at next constraint, ALT HOLD will engage. No problem, though, as you are cleared, just re-engage VNAV and it will resume climb in VNAV SPD mode.cheersanthonyAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

OK, breaking silence on this one.Most flightdeck procedures that I have read about call for restrictions to be "hard set" on the MCP as well as the restrictions in the FMC.Not quite sure if it's to maintain redundancy, as insurance against busting ATC requirements during a busy phase of flight, or to keep the pilots awake :-).

Guest amerton

Yes, I also read this a few time.For improved situation awareness of the crew !when level (met constraint) :VNAV ALT : reset mcp alt, click alt selectorNO VNAV ALT : reset mcp alt, re-engage VNAVall in all, same number of clicks ;-)anthonyAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Ray CYYZ

Thanks Anthony, that makes perfect sense.Never played with a 737 so I am sorta feeling my way around and stumbling when the stuff from the bigger planes seem to be missing.Ray